Menu

Figuring out the personalities of local homeschool groups

I agree the best way it to attend an event.  I have a large homeschool facebook community in my area (over 400).  I HATE the facebook page.  I wont get into why, but I've learned to not ever read the threads.  But the people that actually show up to events are a lovely group of women.  If I had based it on online content I'd never have become involved :)

Agree with others, the only way to really know if it will be a good fit is to meet up and get to know the people.  See if they have any activities going on that you could attend without joining.  And you may find that being a member of more than one works best, depending on what each one offers.

I'm not sure that's always accurate.  I've been a part of a few groups that the leader's personality did really match the group's.

:iagree:

Also, I feel that if you asked the leader of my local homeschool group to describe the group and how it serves our community, she would give an answer that sounds very positive but is actually outdated. It seems like she emphasizes how vibrant the group was in the past but that doesn't truly reflect how the group operates now. For example, one element of our group is supposed to be support and fellowship, but we haven't had a monthly meeting in well over a year and few people sign up on the rare occasion a casual get-together for moms is scheduled. The website also makes the group seem more active than it really is.

To answer the original question, attending/scheduling time with the co-op has worked fairly well for me. Preferably more than once and not on a special day (like end-of-year class or celebration). I've also found it useful to hang out with the families involved in other venues--like park days, field trips, etc.

Definitely try to attend an event, as everyone else said.  If you still have questions (or just want to start getting connected to people!), see if you can get contact information from one or two of the other moms at the event you attend, and then call or email them.