Menu

Math Mammoth Pre-A and some other MM questions to wrangle with

Is Maria writing a full Pre-A or are these worksheet sets her Pre-A material? 

MM has worked well for my oldest and he's wrapping up 5th grade. As usual, we are slogging through the end and still have Geometry to tackle. We always skimp on the Geometry chapter but I'm determined to get through it with him! We've had many bumps in 5th grade that have me concerned going into 6th ….

The mastery approach has worked well over the years but this year he's forgetting a ton. I'm not sure if there is something I need to do about this ….. Thoughts and questions abound.

Will MM6 shore up these weaknesses? Is MM6 going to review stuff he's learned in 5th? He is forgetting a lot and makes so many silly mistakes. I will forever be telling him to show his work, write neatly, and stay on task!! :coolgleamA: 

ETA: Looks like MM6 will do a lot of review with some deepening of concepts. Though we are longing for a *change* I think sticking with MM through 6th is the wise choice as long as we don't burn out. I'm slightly concerned about burn out though (and suspect he may need an approach with more review built in …. mastery is losing its magic with this kiddo). 

Thanks for any helps here. Math and Writing. Ack!  :rolleyes:

We used MM6 as his pre algebra program. Unless your child is struggling, I think doing another year of review would just become overly repetitive. DS did find 6 to be very similar to 5, and I think if I could do it over I might have used something else.

We haven't been impressed with MM geometry, nor with the statistics in 6. DS found the geometry inconsistent--the measurements IRL weren't exactly what the answer book had, and that drove him batty. After a bit of wrestling with it, we decided to skip it. He will see it again in the future and in more accurate ways. Statistics he got through, but much preferred Zaccarro and playing around with real life examples (he loves statistics and probability, just not the MM approach).

We've loved MM so much over the yers it's hard for me to say anything negative, but I did feel like she sort of dropped the ball with 6. Especially in the statistics and probability chapter, the answer sheet was very clearly wrong many (many) times. That was disappointing, as we'd had very few cases of that in previous years. (just remembered that we did use the old version before she aligned it with CC--the new one covers some topics in a different order so what was in 6 is now in 7, I think. All of this might not apply to the updated version).

We've loved MM so much over the yers it's hard for me to say anything negative, but I did feel like she sort of dropped the ball with 6. Especially in the statistics and probability chapter, the answer sheet was very clearly wrong many (many) times. That was disappointing, as we'd had very few cases of that in previous years. (just remembered that we did use the old version before she aligned it with CC--the new one covers some topics in a different order so what was in 6 is now in 7, I think. All of this might not apply to the updated version).

I read just the other day on her site that when it was updated, it not only aligned but was revised as well. Many mistakes were corrected. I can't link it now from my phone (I'm sorry :(), but if you read the FAQ about the common core alignment, there's a listing of all the improvements made to each level.

Aha....figured it out: http://www.mathmammoth.com/faq-common-core.php

(Hope it works :))

That's good. I wanted to use the old version (knowing DS would be ready for algebra in 6th), but wasn't expecting the issues since there had never been any in previous years. Glad to hear the problems are resolved. It was very uncharacteristic! :)

We considered carefully before deciding to skip MM6. We had the same issues with geometry in MM that many others have had: overly complex problems with imprecise measurements. We gave up on the geometry chapter in MM5 halfway through and just skipped ahead to the next chapter.

In reviewing the TOC for MM6, I realized that it was basically a pre-algebra program already; what it covered was similar to what is in Dolciani pre-algebra, which I already planned to use for dd. Given that and given the fact that we had some other frustrations with MM (namely unclear wording and directions that REALLY bothered dd), we went ahead and moved straight into Dolciani. I don't regret it at all. Dd really likes Dolciani, and MM prepared her well. I just felt that by 5th grade it was getting overly fussy and focusing too much on incredibly complex problems that took a long time to work out rather than cementing the concepts with more straightforward problems.

We are having the same experience. I actually bought TT7 to try a different and more spiral approach. At 30 days, ds decided it wasn't working for him and we sent it back. We are back to MM6. Hoping the update she recently did will fix these issues. Or perhaps I should consider Dolcani preAlgebra which I have.

We considered carefully before deciding to skip MM6. We had the same issues with geometry in MM that many others have had: overly complex problems with imprecise measurements. We gave up on the geometry chapter in MM5 halfway through and just skipped ahead to the next chapter.

In reviewing the TOC for MM6, I realized that it was basically a pre-algebra program already; what it covered was similar to what is in Dolciani pre-algebra, which I already planned to use for dd. Given that and given the fact that we had some other frustrations with MM (namely unclear wording and directions that REALLY bothered dd), we went ahead and moved straight into Dolciani. I don't regret it at all. Dd really likes Dolciani, and MM prepared her well. I just felt that by 5th grade it was getting overly fussy and focusing too much on incredibly complex problems that took a long time to work out rather than cementing the concepts with more straightforward problems.

We've been using the old MM books too, and do not plan to do MM6. I've already bought Dolciani and am planning on purchasing Jousting Armadillos too. I'm so glad to read your post, and see that your DD was well prepared for it.

As for the Geometry chapter in 5, we didn't even look at it. After the horrible experience with Geometry in MM4, I wasn't about to go through that again. LOL I bought BA4A for my DD to do over the summer. She'll get her Geometry from that.

Tara,

Were you using the original (or one of the older) version of MM at this point? We switched to the most updated version this past year. I think that the 5th grade version we used isn't as rigorous as the previous one. I do have a Lial's pre-A and Dolciana pre-A text. Perhaps I should compare the S&S with MM6. :)

I am VERY tempted to switch to something more spiral and with a different teaching style for 6th grade. I'd like to mix it up by using a variety of resources but I don't have enough math know how to do that. When I look at 6th grade I sigh. I am TIRED of looking at work texts but maybe I'll feel better about it in a couple of months. 

I'm having the same issues.  We are behind this year and trying to quickly finish up year 5 this summer.  I've always avoided the geometry and have read here that others skip it.  What do you do instead?  Part of me wants to just head over to Saxon!  I don't know if I can do another year of MM though I think it is a good curriculum.  I will be interested in hearing what you decide.  You are planning to do MM Geometry?  I don't really have an alternative. 

What about doing just the odd problems in MM6.  If there is an area he flounders, then you can focus on that area?  This is what I'm considering.  He really got bogged down with MM5 (newest version)

This holds promise. I'd *like* to mix it up and I have a few resources floating around that I'm previewing including Hands on Geometry and a few Zacarro books. Half time MM6 gives us wiggle room. I still intend to look over the Pre-A text TOC and compare it to MM6. 

I'm having the same issues.  We are behind this year and trying to quickly finish up year 5 this summer.  I've always avoided the geometry and have read here that others skip it.  What do you do instead?  Part of me wants to just head over to Saxon!  I don't know if I can do another year of MM though I think it is a good curriculum.  I will be interested in hearing what you decide.  You are planning to do MM Geometry?  I don't really have an alternative. 

It sounds like MM hasn't been a good fit for you for a long time. Is it that math in general isn't your cuppa or is it truly MM? 

I haven't had issues with the Geometry portions of MM at all. We usually hit burnout about the time we GET to that chapter so that is my beef. I did order a small geometry text to try with my son who does need help and practice with the drawing. It's self paced and uses a straightedge and a compass. I will likely use the MM geometry chapter as a "spine", reviewing the main concepts and terminology. 

Beast Academy's geometry portions appeal to me but it's costly to buy those books for that purpose. I'm quite tempted to though.

I skipped MM6 with my oldest and went straight to MEP 7. It worked great. It repeated quite a few topics that were in MM5 and he has already moved onto MEP 8 at the end of 6th grade. So that is what I am planning to do with my next son, who will be doing MM5 this coming fall. I'm going to relax the pace and not care if it takes more than a year to get through, and then go to MEP 7 after that. So, just an idea: you could take it easy (or easier) with MM5 and then just go straight to pre-algebra. 

I skipped MM6 with my oldest and went straight to MEP 7. It worked great. It repeated quite a few topics that were in MM5 and he has already moved onto MEP 8 at the end of 6th grade. So that is what I am planning to do with my next son, who will be doing MM5 this coming fall. I'm going to relax the pace and not care if it takes more than a year to get through, and then go to MEP 7 after that. So, just an idea: you could take it easy (or easier) with MM5 and then just go straight to pre-algebra.

Erin,

This is a solid course. MEP befuddles me. There are so many links and I don't know what to look at or use. I love the layout but have never been able to make sense of the website. Why can't they put a numbered list that tells me what to read and then what to print? Ack! I'd love to try some of it out.

Is your son independent with his math?

Pretty independent, yes. Moreso than MM! He hardly ever needs my help. We're using the interactive lessons so I don't print anything (except for when there is a lesson not online, which happens fairly frequently in 8, but not in 7). Oh yeah, I also print the tests and have him write them. The secondary levels of MEP aren't used much on this board (as far as I know) because it's integrated, so there isn't a whole pile of info here, but the MEP Yahoo group is great if you want to check that out.

Pretty independent, yes. Moreso than MM! He hardly ever needs my help. We're using the interactive lessons so I don't print anything (except for when there is a lesson not online, which happens fairly frequently in 8, but not in 7). Oh yeah, I also print the tests and have him write them. The secondary levels of MEP aren't used much on this board (as far as I know) because it's integrated, so there isn't a whole pile of info here, but the MEP Yahoo group is great if you want to check that out.

Erin,

Thanks for recommending the Yahoo Group. My son would enjoy the interactive lessons. 

What does it mean that MEP is integrated? 

It means in high school, topics are not separated each year (ie. pre-algebra, algebra 1, geometry, etc.). Each year teaches all of these areas.

Thanks Erin.

I'm finding my way around MEP now …. persistence is paying off.  :coolgleamA:

This year we added Math Minutes 6 to get some spiral review.  Dd was finishing MM5 and started MM6, and Math Minutes 6 was a good fit.  Before that, retention for some topics was an issue, but the spiral review practice has helped a lot.  (I did see the cover of a Math Minutes book at Lakeshore Learning and it now says Common Core aligned, so I'm not sure what they changed.)

I'm considering Simple Solutions Common Core 7 as spiral review for next year, as she finishes MM6 early fall and starts pre-A.  Not sure if that will be TabletClass, Dolciani, or what.

I picked the Simple Solutions Common Core book because the school she might go to eventually uses it, and it's more challenging than Math Minutes.  It also has a glossary and a section in back going over the relevant math concepts.  I'm liking have a few different math resources to cover our bases.  Simple Solutions will probably take about 10-15 min per page, while Math Min was 2-3 min.

The Simple Solutions website says you have to order a classroom set, but my friend called and ordered a single copy so that's what I'll do.  I checked out her 6th grade copy and it looked good to me.

http://www.simplesolutions.org/pdf/CCMath%20Price%20List%202014.pdf

Amy