Menu

Read Aloud Alert Times 100!!!

Hi Everyone,

I have the best read aloud alert:

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book 1: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood.

Officially it says the story is for:

• Age Range: 8 - 12 years
  • Grade Level: 3 - 7

But I can easily see 6 year old enjoying this book. It's about two brothers, their sister and a new governess. The author somehow manages to weave vocab, poetry and manners lessons. And the story also places a nice emphasis on Latin and games like chess.

I can't tell you how great this book has been and I was so happy to see that she wrote three more after the first.

There is nothing gory or awful in it at all -- except very light references to the lord of the manner hunting and he has dead animals on his study wall. The kids in the book are horrified because there's a thought that they were raised by wolves, but it's barely mentioned.

Have fun!

Alley

We started the series when my son was 10, and he loved it. The writing is clever, and difficult vocabulary is explained within the book. It is the first book my son was eager to read on his own after I read it aloud and that is high, high praise. We have book 4 and it's on his list to read after he finishes rereading the whole Mysterious Benedict series.

I've nearly downloaded this audio book on several occasions. I keep pushing it off until DD is a bit older. Would love to know whether anything questionable pops up for a newly turned seven-year-old girl.

I honestly don't think so and I'm conservative when it comes to my little flowers (who are 11 now, but whatever. . .).

I think the book is fine for a 7 year old.

At one point, a hunting party goes into the forest and bagged a bear, rabbits etc. That happened once and I just skipped that sentence because my two boys love animals.

But the book is not about hunting. It's about a British governess and how she helps three orphans who were apparently raised by a wolf. It's beautifully written.

I can't recommend it enough.

A.

I've nearly downloaded this audio book on several occasions. I keep pushing it off until DD is a bit older. Would love to know whether anything questionable pops up for a newly turned seven-year-old girl.

It's very clean. The little bit of romance is so proper and old-fashioned (basically courting).