Menu

Book logs

We use Bibme.  The kids can enter their books by title and it automatically pulls the author, publisher, etc and puts it in (almost) correct formatting. They also tag it by subject (fiction, history, whatever) and add any annotations that I request.  When it is time for me to put together portfolios I just sort the list by the subject I need and hit print.  So easy!

I use bookmarks.   :)  It was a novel approach.  http://www.thelearningtrunk.com/wow-bookmarks/

The point of the bookmark was to look for great words or unknown words as they read.  The student lists the word and page number.  "WOW" words are the ones that you want to learn and to use in your writing. 

The stars are for rating the book. Color them in (we used a highlighter).

On the back of the bookmark, the student writes a summary or blurb about the book.  

The bookmark serves multiple purposes.

We store bookmarks in square pen box.  

You can use something different now.   :)

For the recreational reads ... I bought this for dds - http://www.amazon.com/My-Bibliofile-Reading-Journal-Lovers/dp/0307465373/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401402243&sr=8-4&keywords=book+journal

We have a good reads account as well. I just have a different "list" for each kid. We can add a single book to multiple lists, but its true that we can only have one "review". Our review is always just my opinion ;)

My kids have to draw a picture of and narrate their favorite part of the book. I write it down for them below their drawing and it goes in their binder of work for the year. But that's only for chapter books! The dozens of picture books don't get logged, drawn, or narrated. We just enjoy those.

We have a good reads account as well. I just have a different "list" for each kid. We can add a single book to multiple lists, but its true that we can only have one "review". Our review is always just my opinion ;)

My kids have to draw a picture of and narrate their favorite part of the book. I write it down for them below their drawing and it goes in their binder of work for the year. But that's only for chapter books! The dozens of picture books don't get logged, drawn, or narrated. We just enjoy those.

Thank you :) I will go and try that

I'm old school..I just take a composition notebook and list the books we've read by month. It also helps because I write the books in the log as I put them in the bag to take back to the library. On more than one occasion, I've been able to use this log as "proof" I did indeed return the book and didn't have to pay a fine.

I also set up a Goodreads account for each of the kids. They love sending book recommendations to their grandpa and uncle on there. :)

Different email addresses.

Thank you! Sounds like a great idea. My children don't have email addresses though, will keep that in mind for the future.

Thank you! Sounds like a great idea. My children don't have email addresses though, will keep that in mind for the future.

You don't have to give them the email address to use. You just use an email address to make an account. You don't need to use the email address at goodreads for anything after that.

We use Bibme.  The kids can enter their books by title and it automatically pulls the author, publisher, etc and puts it in (almost) correct formatting. They also tag it by subject (fiction, history, whatever) and add any annotations that I request.  When it is time for me to put together portfolios I just sort the list by the subject I need and hit print.  So easy!

Thank you for sharing this! I used this today while making book lists for portfolios. I didn't know they also tagged it by subject. I'll have to check that out.

Thank you for sharing this! I used this today while making book lists for portfolios. I didn't know they also tagged it by subject. I'll have to check that out.

Oops, "they" in my sentence referred to my kids, not the program. You can create any tags that you want, and then use them to your heart's content, but it is not done automatically. I've used them to differentiate between independent reading and read-alouds, subject, and writing style at various times.

At the risk of being a broken record (because I've mentioned this before), one kinda fun idea I did years ago with Batgirl was make a book reading paper chain.  I cut strips out of colored cardstock.  She wrote the title of the book and author on them.   We hung the chain from the ceiling in our dining room.  She was a reader, so the chain went back and forth and actually covered the entire ceiling.  That was pretty cool.  She loved seeing the chain grow.  It was a great way for her to really see how many books she read that year. 

I should probably do that with Jr. Batgirl.  But, we've moved and I'll have to think about where we could hang it.  For next school year I'm getting JB Book Crush and Book Buddies.  She already has Books Make Me Happy, which is really cute.  I'm sure we'll end up getting another one of those in the future. 

Oops, "they" in my sentence referred to my kids, not the program. You can create any tags that you want, and then use them to your heart's content, but it is not done automatically. I've used them to differentiate between independent reading and read-alouds, subject, and writing style at various times.

That's fine; I probably misread it. Still really easy way to print the book list for the portfolios. Thanks again!

At the risk of being a broken record (because I've mentioned this before), one kinda fun idea I did years ago with Batgirl was make a book reading paper chain.  

I did this with dd the last time this was mentioned!  We altered the chain a bit in design as she began to read a series of books.  The chain has smaller dangling chains for a series.

BTW - I am not an advocate of using the social media tools for young children.  Being in technology, I would strongly encourage you to come up with a solution that does not involve this type of technology.  Our house ... no social media accounts of any type until 13.  I did bend slightly on Club Penguin only because I could turn off things like the chat in their options.  You would be surprised what a fluffy fur covered pink penguin can say in a bubble.

I use bookmarks.   :)  It was a novel approach.  http://www.thelearningtrunk.com/wow-bookmarks/

The point of the bookmark was to look for great words or unknown words as they read.  The student lists the word and page number.  "WOW" words are the ones that you want to learn and to use in your writing. 

The stars are for rating the book. Color them in (we used a highlighter).

On the back of the bookmark, the student writes a summary or blurb about the book.  

The bookmark serves multiple purposes.

We store bookmarks in square pen box.  

You can use something different now.   :)

For the recreational reads ... I bought this for dds - http://www.amazon.com/My-Bibliofile-Reading-Journal-Lovers/dp/0307465373/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401402243&sr=8-4&keywords=book+journal

Love this idea!  We are terrible for not updating our reading log because it's boring and the kids are not at all motivated to keep track on a plain old piece of paper (no matter how many cute stickers I put on it! LOL).  I am going to print some of these out and then use the ring idea mentioned by another poster and they can put them all on a ring as they finish a book.  I think it is going to be very motivating for them to fill a ring!