Menu

What size Klean Kanteen do you prefer?

What size Klean Kanteen do you prefer?  

1. 1. What size Klean Kanteen do you prefer?

• 12 ounce
    • 18 ounce
    • 27 ounce
    • 40 ounce

I'm thinking of getting Klean Kanteens for each member of my family (five of us) in different colors for Christmas.

We like the 20-ounce Arrowhead size bottles--but Klean Kanteen offers bottles in 18-ounce and 27-ounce. I'm leaning toward the larger size along with getting dh a big 40-ounce one for Scout campouts (he's a Scoutmaster).

What's your favorite size?

My kids each have a 27oz bottle, and I'm really glad I *didn't* get them the smaller ones I had initially planned. Dh was given an 18oz stainless steel bottle, and it just seems too small to bother with, honestly. I thought the 27oz bottles might be too large for the kids, but if they're going to any physically demanding activity, they end up drinking the whole thing.

Also definitely get the Built sleeves for the bottles. Otherwise, the condensation is a mess, and they warm up instantly. The sleeves keep them dry and cool and make them easier to carry too.

I vote 27 oz. My family of 5 has one each. The 40 was too big to fit in the car cup holder, and also is pretty dang heavy when full of water! The 18 needs refills to often. I find the 27 to be juuuust right (wow- I had a goldilocks flash there for a second!)

Something to consider- we have two colored ones, and the color on ours scratches off really easily. (it is just a paint applied to the outside). Mine seems fine, but DH is a hard workin' guy and his is pretty scratched. Doesn't bother us, but considering that at our store they charge *more* for the colored ones we would not go that route again. For my kids, I found water bottle carrier things- basically rubber loops with a carabiner (sp?) attached. They are different colors and we leave them on even for washing. A plus is that I can hook them all together, thus carrying 5 water bottles with one hand! I have seen them at Wal Mart, though we bought ours at the local outdoor store. We also have a few BYO bags for insulation.... I use mine for my coffee now. They get hot very fast so if you want to use them for hot beverages, so the insulated covers are essential.

All in all we *LOVE* our Kanteens!!!!! I'll never go back to icky tasting water bottles again!

Also definitely get the Built sleeves for the bottles. Otherwise, the condensation is a mess, and they warm up instantly. The sleeves keep them dry and cool and make them easier to carry too.

I forgot to add that you can get the BYO/Built sleeves at Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx for a great price.

Both my girls have the 18 oz one and they carry it everywhere. That said, if they are doing a sport like activity, they empty it, so I plan to buy the 27 ounce ones also. The 18oz one is good though, because when it is full and they have to carry it, it does have some weight. My girls are 8 and 10 and they empty their 18 oz one within an hour or two when we are out in car doing errands (and they have always had plenty to drink before we leave). My youngest is going back to school and I can't imagine her carrying anything heavier than the 18oz right now, but my 10 year old could. I quess it depends on the kid. I would certainly need a 27 ounce for myself!

happygirl,

Where'd you get the cup holder things. I have the Built NY ones and they are ok but we've already had a few of the snaps break on them?

As for size. My older 2 kids and I each have 2 of the 18oz ones and my 3 year old has 2 of the 12oz ones with the avent sippy lid adapters. We use them for things other than water so that's why we each have 2.

I've found the 18oz to be just perfect for us.

I vote for the 40 oz but only b/c we have two 27 ozers for our entire family so we run out of water fast. Better than getting a 40oz bottle, I'd want to get one 27 oz for each member of the family as you are thinking doing. Our littlest has the sippy cup version, which I really like for that age.

Love our Klean Kanteens!

happygirl,

Where'd you get the cup holder things. I have the Built NY ones and they are ok but we've already had a few of the snaps break on them?

You know, I have always wondered if BYO is the same as Built. They look and feel *exactly* the same. We have not had any trouble with our snaps, but then again we carry them by carabiner loops and not the snapped handles (wow, did that make any sense?). I got our sleeves at Marshall's and TJ Maxx (At a few dollars a bag, they suit my budget fine).

As with my Swatches, I could collect SIGG bottles just because they look so cool.:D Having said that, we do actually use them. The 20 oz are convenient for a few big swigs after a run. Having room for more water in the 32 oz is nice, but the bottles are kinda unwieldy. I'd be happy with something right in-between so if I were you, buying Kleen Kanteen, I'd opt for 27 oz.

I used to have 3 27 oz ones but I can't find any of them right now. It's darned irritating. I want to buy 18 oz ones for the girls to replace the lost ones and will probably buy 12 oz for my 4 yo. She's still teeny.

The 40 oz ones are very wide around. I don't think I would like to carry them.

for the family of four and they're perfect. My 5 yo and 8yo can drink the whole thing in a playground visit, but the 40 oz just seems too unwieldy. Definitely don't go smaller than 27 oz unless it's for a younger child. We have the slings and keep them on the KK's all the time and they are fantastic for carrying them:

http://www.getngreen.com/store/category.aspx?categoryID=92. I wouldn't be without these slings!

• 1 month later...
As with my Swatches, I could collect SIGG bottles just because they look so cool.:D Having said that, we do actually use them. The 20 oz are convenient for a few big swigs after a run. Having room for more water in the 32 oz is nice, but the bottles are kinda unwieldy. I'd be happy with something right in-between so if I were you, buying Kleen Kanteen, I'd opt for 27 oz.

BTT this with a question.

I was going to get my Dad a Sigg for Christmas. He carries a liter plastic bottle now and refills it, so i'd planned on the same in the Sigg. BUT, is that going to be way heavy? Part of his medical issues is that he cant' lift a lot without losing blood pressure to his arms/hands.

Also, can someone compare the openings on the Sigg & Kleen Kanteen? The Sigg looks smaller - more water bottle in size. That is what i need for him.

Thanks for any input on this!! I appreciate the feedback already given because i was flying blind on the size thing.

BTT this with a question.

I was going to get my Dad a Sigg for Christmas. He carries a liter plastic bottle now and refills it, so i'd planned on the same in the Sigg. BUT, is that going to be way heavy? Part of his medical issues is that he cant' lift a lot without losing blood pressure to his arms/hands.

Also, can someone compare the openings on the Sigg & Kleen Kanteen? The Sigg looks smaller - more water bottle in size. That is what i need for him.

Thanks for any input on this!! I appreciate the feedback already given because i was flying blind on the size thing.

The openings on the Kleen Kanteens are large - the ones on the Sigg are quite a bit smaller I believe. We like the Klean Kanteens because we can put ice cubes in them.

BUT, is that going to be way heavy? Part of his medical issues is that he cant' lift a lot without losing blood pressure to his arms/hands.

The KK is only very marginally heavier than a plastic water bottle. It does have a much wider mouth than the Sigg. We went with KK, because I wanted stainless steel -- not aluminum with a plastic liner.

The openings on the Kleen Kanteens are large - the ones on the Sigg are quite a bit smaller I believe. We like the Klean Kanteens because we can put ice cubes in them.

Thanks, the ice cubes would work for the kids - but the opening size for Dad is important. Sounds like my choice for him was good.

I need to find them in a store to feel the weight i think. Wonder how i can pull that off?

Thanks, the ice cubes would work for the kids - but the opening size for Dad is important. Sounds like my choice for him was good.

I need to find them in a store to feel the weight i think. Wonder how i can pull that off?

I haven't found the Siggs locally, but our Bed Bath and Beyond has some other brand that looked the same and was made of aluminum. They were lighter than our Klean Kanteens empty, really quite light. So I bet if you got a size that was comparable to a plastic water bottle, the weight would not be much different at all.

Outer edge to outer edge is almost 2" (so slightly less inside diameter).

Thank you sooo much, that really helps.

There is no way that would work for him - he can't take his pills with a glass anymore.

Now to just figure out the size thing for the Sigg! (and what i'm doing for the kids :tongue_smilie: )

• 1 month later...