Menu

Social Homeschooling--anyone ever hear of this?

ETA: Ok...I'm confused. What state are we actually talking about?

I believe the school, err, the, place, is in Florida.  So, hypothetically speaking, if I enroll a student in a private school, would that student no longer be eligible to enroll in the virtual charter for free?  Is that why this place is so curiously not wanting to call itself a school?  Or are there other rules and regulations that a Florida private school would have to obey that this organization is trying to avoid?  I'm just curious why they are so adamant against calling themselves a school, or calling the employees teachers.

Or are they just unschoolers at heart, and dead set against using the word "school"?

I guess I'm really having two reactions...

One, dislike of this as a business model (I'm generally suspicious of for profit education), dislike of it being called "homeschooling," and a knowledge that I would never, in a million years, be interested in doing something like this with my kids, even if I won the lottery.

Two, acknowledgement that options are positive in general, if they aren't the options I would personally choose.  So assuming that people get into this eyes open, it's probably okay.

I believe the school, err, the, place, is in Florida.  So, hypothetically speaking, if I enroll a student in a private school, would that student no longer be eligible to enroll in the virtual charter for free?  Is that why this place is so curiously not wanting to call itself a school?  Or are there other rules and regulations that a Florida private school would have to obey that this organization is trying to avoid?  I'm just curious why they are so adamant against calling themselves a school, or calling the employees teachers.

Or are they just unschoolers at heart, and dead set against using the word "school"?

See how confusing it is?

Someone needs to check the legal status of the children enrolled. I'm sure it isn't illegal for the business owners to do what they're doing, but people need to know where those children fit into the compulsory education laws of FL.

In any case, there is NOTHING homeschool about it.

It sounds to me like they're offering for homeschoolers and virtual schoolers to come to their facility during the day to be around other kids and have parent replacements/supervision. That's not school and they can't call themselves a school or their employees teachers.

It's Florida, and all the students in this "program" are registered homeschoolers, with these people providing "coaching" and social stuff, games, trip, etc.

It sounds like a club/hangout for homeschoolers. The price tag won't seems high here.

So they're gathering registered homeschoolers under their "we're not a school" umbrella and then offering them supervision, social opportunities, trips, and organic food?

From the web site, it's a bit more than that.  They send home quarterly report cards, and the kids are taught both by the online instructors and by the onsite Coaches.  

"Graduating seniors must complete a rigorous individual senior project demonstrating their cumulative curriculum skills, citizenship concerns, resourcefulness and creativity"

I wonder if they issue a diploma?

This is by any definition *NOT* homeschooling. ::bangs head on keyboard:: If anything, it's a private school--parents pay big bucks for it, apparently (I cannot open the site so I cannot see for myself), so it isn't a public school. Kudos to the people who devised the program, because I'm sure there's a market for it, but I'd really like to smack them for calling it "homeschool."

But I think that the wording is the hook. To people used to a public or private school system that are not familiar with homeschool this IS what they consider homeschooling and it this what they are looking for.

Yes... K12 may not be homeschooling either but it is school at home and that fine distinction doesn't matter to those outside the culture.

But I think that the wording is the hook. To people used to a public or private school system that are not familiar with homeschool this IS what they consider homeschooling and it this what they are looking for.

Yes... K12 may not be homeschooling either but it is school at home and that fine distinction doesn't matter to those outside the culture.

Oh, I know it's the hook. And it's deceitful. 

And it has nothing to do with K12. Remember that K12 is just a publisher, like ABeka or BJUP or R&S. People do not enroll their dc in K12. They enroll their children in a public school (it's a charter school in most states, but apparently not all). You can homeschool according to the homeschool laws (or whatever it is in your state; it's a court case and private school statutes in California) and use K12, or you can enroll your children in a public school that uses and provides K12.

Oh, I know it's the hook. And it's deceitful.

And it has nothing to do with K12. Remember that K12 is just a publisher, like ABeka or BJUP or R&S. People do not enroll their dc in K12. They enroll their children in a public school (it's a charter school in most states, but apparently not all). You can homeschool according to the homeschool laws (or whatever it is in your state; it's a court case and private school statutes in California) and use K12, or you can enroll your children in a public school that uses and provides K12.

I said k12 because that is what people call the OHVA locally. Here children that do it are actively involved in the homeschooling community. They are not exempt. They may know the distinction (but I am sure many don't) but to an outsider they call themselves homeschoolers for ease. Talking to a other homeschooling families at a meeting everyone just calls it K12. I thought that k12 was pretty universally understood on the forums as a VA, at least it mostly is in posts I read unless someone specifies that the are using the curriculum independently, so I used it as an example.

I said k12 because that is what people call the OHVA locally. Here children that do it are actively involved in the homeschooling community. They are not exempt. They may know the distinction (but I am sure many don't) but to an outsider they call themselves homeschoolers for ease. Talking to a other homeschooling families at a meeting everyone just calls it K12. I thought that k12 was pretty universally understood on the forums as a VA, at least it mostly is in posts I read unless someone specifies that the are using the curriculum independently, so I used it as an example.

I know people say that, but it is important to know the difference, which not all people do, and to use the correct terminology when we talk about it. :-)