Menu

Help me organize my books

Well, if the closet is deep, you may need to shelve the books in double rows (i.e. 2 deep).  I do this in my (regular) closet.  I have infrequently used books against the wall, and then more often used books in front of them. 

I guess it depends on the closet--I'm assuming it's not a "walk-in"!

I posted on another thread about how we group non-fiction together, in WTM/historical sequence and then a separate shelf for science books.

Maybe you can post a photo of the closet, to spur ideas.  Or search on pinterest for "bookshelves in the closet".  Which of course reminds me of that 1995 Pride & Prejudice scene/quote -- "Shelves in the closet?  Happy thought indeed!" 

Chronologically by subject & place. I also put fiction in with it. For instance, The Golden Goblet would be in with the Ancient Egypt books, but all of the fiction would be together, after the nonfiction. The Midwife's Apprentice is shelved with European British Middle Ages.  Ben and Me would be in with early US history etc. Art books and magazines are also sorted this way, after fiction. Clear as mud?

If they can't fit upright with binder/titles showing, they get stacked, titles showing. (Which gets heavy. We sometimes need one person to hold up the top books, as the second person pries out the stuck bottom books.)

Well, if the closet is deep, you may need to shelve the books in double rows (i.e. 2 deep).  I do this in my (regular) closet.  I have infrequently used books against the wall, and then more often used books in front of them. 

I guess it depends on the closet--I'm assuming it's not a "walk-in"!

I posted on another thread about how we group non-fiction together, in WTM/historical sequence and then a separate shelf for science books.

Maybe you can post a photo of the closet, to spur ideas.  Or search on pinterest for "bookshelves in the closet".  Which of course reminds me of that 1995 Pride & Prejudice scene/quote -- "Shelves in the closet?  Happy thought indeed!" 

I would love to post a photo, but I can no longer cut and paste.  :(