Menu

I'm going to humor DD - Scottish Gaelic

DD has been asking this for months (thanks, Terry Pratchett, sigh). I'm willing to buy something for her to use on her own just so that she can stop nagging me about this. I was hoping that with time she would forget about the whole thing, but she has requested I post this question on the Hive.

Any suggestions? She prefers a book/CD and not computer-related.

Teach Yourself Publishes a course in both Complete Irish and Complete Gaelic. I can not attest to the quality of either.

There is also, by the same publisher, a Speak Irish with Confidence and a Speak Gaelic with Confidence course.

According to the guide on the website you should probably do Speak X with Confidence first--as an intro course and then build a course of study around the more in-depth Complete X course.

Thank you, I was just looking at Teach Yourself and was leaning towards buying it, especially since it has CDs. The chart showing different levels and titles was very helpful. I see that the bad reviews stemmed from the company repackaging the product and not necessarily the product itself.

I wish DD had chosen something else. I don't even know if we will ever visit Scotland; Welsh would have made more sense given her ancestors.

I wish DD had chosen something else. I don't even know if we will ever visit Scotland; Welsh would have made more sense given her ancestors.

As I'm sure you know, Gaelic is spoken in only small pockets of Scotland.  You won't hear it in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen.  My Scottish colleagues are rather dismissive of it, as 'not even properly Scottish.'  Less than 2% of the Scottish population speaks it, as opposed to 19% of Welsh people speaking Welsh.

Just so you know (I didn't until I moved to Scotland) the name of the language is pronounced 'GA-lick' (short 'a' like 'cat').  The Irish language is pronounced GAY-lick.

L

As I'm sure you know, Gaelic is spoken in only small pockets of Scotland.  You won't hear it in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen.  My Scottish colleagues are rather dismissive of it, as 'not even properly Scottish.'  Less than 2% of the Scottish population speaks it, as opposed to 19% of Welsh people speaking Welsh.

Just so you know (I didn't until I moved to Scotland) the name of the language is pronounced 'GA-lick' (short 'a' like 'cat').  The Irish language is pronounced GAY-lick.

L

I did not know the difference in pronunciation.  Learn something new every day.  Now, is Irish Gaelic more in use in Ireland?  Seems I recall signs in Gaelic in Ireland...   Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack, just curious....

As I'm sure you know, Gaelic is spoken in only small pockets of Scotland. You won't hear it in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen. My Scottish colleagues are rather dismissive of it, as 'not even properly Scottish.' Less than 2% of the Scottish population speaks it, as opposed to 19% of Welsh people speaking Welsh.

Just so you know (I didn't until I moved to Scotland) the name of the language is pronounced 'GA-lick' (short 'a' like 'cat'). The Irish language is pronounced GAY-lick.

L

Actually, I did not know and good thing you've warned us before I go telling everyone IRL what DD wants to learn, LOL. Now we do have an Irish Gaelic class in the city, but DD is stubborn; it has to be Scottish Gaelic. It started with Wee Free Men. If only Pratchett had changed his story slightly.

As I'm sure you know, Gaelic is spoken in only small pockets of Scotland. You won't hear it in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen. My Scottish colleagues are rather dismissive of it, as 'not even properly Scottish.' Less than 2% of the Scottish population speaks it, as opposed to 19% of Welsh people speaking Welsh.

Just so you know (I didn't until I moved to Scotland) the name of the language is pronounced 'GA-lick' (short 'a' like 'cat'). The Irish language is pronounced GAY-lick.

L

This is interesting. There's also a very obscure (so I'm told) dialect of it spoken here in eastern Canada.

I did not know the difference in pronunciation.  Learn something new every day.  Now, is Irish Gaelic more in use in Ireland?  Seems I recall signs in Gaelic in Ireland...   Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack, just curious....

Wiki gives active Irish Gaelic speakers at 5-10% of the population.  I don't know if that is the same measure as used for Scotland and Wales.

Use of a language on signs is often a political act rather than a matter of convenience.

L