Menu

Need Help - Laptop vs Tablet vs Netbook

I am not at all technologically savvy and have not kept up with the latest developments. I need to get another device for our homeschooling besides our desktop computer. Everyone is always wanting it at the same time, and we really could use a second device. I want to spend the least amount of money possible. I can't pay any monthly bills for the device, such as to a cell phone company. I really only need the device to be able to get WiFi internet at home. Apps would be cool but aren't necessary. I don't need to do any word processing. Would a laptop, tablet or netbook be best? Or is there another option I might not know about.

Early last December, just before a trip, my wife bought an Android Tablet. It is very nice, but I don't know how to turn it on or use it. I think now it has some issues and may need warranty service.

Then, on March 24th, on Amazon, we bought a *wonderful* Refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 laptop, from BlairTG (Blair Technology Group) in KY.  They are a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher.

The difference in the cost of the 2 items isn't huge, approximately USD$100,  but the power of the Laptop is just awesome in comparison. ASAP, when our finances and Blair's inventory/pricing permit, we will buy another Refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 from Blair.

That's our experience and I hope whatever you decide to purchase will work well for your users. We paid $179 +$8.49 shipping to our Forwarder in Miami for the Refurbished laptop, which has a legal version of M$ Windows 7 Home Premium on it.  And, a one year warranty in the USA (except on the battery).

How much are you willing to spend?

I have seen staples and others selling mini laptops for under $300.

But if you want something with apps then maybe try the nook as they now allow you to buy apps and books from google play.

I am not sure what is best because it depends on your needs. For me I bought a tablet because of my heavy use of ebooks and no one in my home likes reading ebooks on PC. And tablets are a lot easier to carry around than laptops.

One thing I hate about many laptops is how hot the keyboard gets. And I'm not sure if there is some sort of charge. My fingers hurt, when I use a laptop. A bluetooth keyboard with a tablet is more comfortable to me.

Be aware that some people are reporting a problem with losing apps with the iPad. I'm just becoming aware of the problem now and losing my mind dealing with Apple. What is an iPad without apps?

Kindle Fire HD and HDX have immersion reading, which is really cool.

Some android and windows tablets let you run two apps at the same time, which iPad does not.

iPad does not have Flash.

Some people with Android are reporting problems using the Amazon Store and Prime. I know my Android phone cannot check out Kindle library books, and I had no idea some people were having that problem with their tablets.

My daughter just got an Asus Transformer and loves it!   It has a mini-USB port and came loaded with MS Office (full versions), flash. It can be a tablet or you can dock it to type. She is 'medium' sized and likes the size of the keyboard.  I'm sure my "extra large" husband would prefer a full size.  It was $375 on Amazon.

Depends on what you want. I use my tablet for 95% of all computer stuff, and with a bluetooth keyboard, it's super useful. I don't do a ton of word processing on it, but I can, and fairly easily too. Dropbox makes it really easy to have things accessible on multiple machines. For school-related stuff, we use the tablet much like we would a laptop -- language programs, Google, calculator, drill games, youtube videos, Google Earth, word processing, lists, e-books, playing music, etc. But it has the capability of writing on things, which is a huge benefit to me, so that gives it the edge over a laptop, for me.

I have a Kindle which I adore but I just bought a laptop for school this week.  The Kindle is great for me but not as good at running computer based learning like online classes.  Before it didn't matter, but as my kids are aging it makes a difference.  We also have a.desktop.  If I could only choose one I would have the laptop.

For the needs you have described, a chromebook might fit the bill. It looks like a small laptop, but only works on the internet. You would use your home wifi. You can do word processing and so on as long as you use internet based apps, like google docs, which is free. Chrome books start at around $200.

WIth the ipad and Android and other other tablets, do you have to pay a monthly subscription to a cell phone company?

No for both. I am more familiar with the iPad. There are two types, non-cellular that use wifi only and cellular that use either wifi or a cellular connection. Most people I know get the type that is wifi only. The upfront cost for the iPads with cellular is about $129 more.

The wifi only can be used anywhere you can log into wifi. That means I log in at home, at public library, Starbucks if I went there. I can also log in at various hotspots from my internet provider. If I had sensitive financial info on my iPad, I would be cautious about public hotspots though.

But you can use an iPad without any wifi if you want to do apps that are already downloaded, which is most apps. If you need access to the internet for you tube, wiki, and so on you would need wifi. Apps can be downloaded directly to your iPad using a wifi connection or you can download apps to your computer, then transfer to iPad with a cable.

Most/all of this applies to non-apple products too.

There may be some places you can buy cellular access without a monthly plan, not sure.

Bottom line: unless you habitually need constant internet access wherever you are, you should be fine with wifi only tablets. If you have no wifi in your home, tablet use would be limited in some ways.

No for both. I am more familiar with the iPad. There are two types, non-cellular that use wifi only and cellular that use either wifi or a cellular connection. Most people I know get the type that is wifi only. The upfront cost for the iPads with cellular is about $129 more.

The wifi only can be used anywhere you can log into wifi. That means I log in at home, at public library, Starbucks if I went there. I can also log in at various hotspots from my internet provider. If I had sensitive financial info on my iPad, I would be cautious about public hotspots though.

But you can use an iPad without any wifi if you want to do apps that are already downloaded, which is most apps. If you need access to the internet for you tube, wiki, and so on you would need wifi. Apps can be downloaded directly to your iPad using a wifi connection or you can download apps to your computer, then transfer to iPad with a cable.

Most/all of this applies to non-apple products too.

There may be some places you can buy cellular access without a monthly plan, not sure.

Bottom line: unless you habitually need constant internet access wherever you are, you should be fine with wifi only tablets. If you have no wifi in your home, tablet use would be limited in some ways.

SO helpful!

WIth the ipad and Android and other other tablets, do you have to pay a monthly subscription to a cell phone company?

Nope!  Only if you want to be able to use it with cell service.  I only have Wifi for mine, so no monthly charge, and Wifi has been plenty.  It works beautifully at my house and libraries, etc.  No problems whatsoever!

Oh, I remember the "line at the computer" days. The big issue was wanting to "check our stuff." The Kindle Fire seemed to solve the problem as they could check facebook and email on there. They also enjoyed a lot of the free games apps and read books on there, too.

I have an Android tablet that I bought a couple years ago and I love it.  We can watch youtube, netflix, hulu on it no problems.  I've got a ton of Apps that work offline but since I'm usually at home that's not an issue.  If we do go someplace and one of the kids want to use it to play games we use my DH's phone as a hotspot. We've even gone to using Google Docs for a lot of our word processing, this way the kids can just use the tablet on the couch.  We all have our own computers (other people buy clothes, cars, we buy electronics) but DS finds it is easier to use the tablet to type.  Both DC use it to read (especially DS because of LD's).  We bought both the kids Google Nexus' a year and a half ago and both were ruined within 6 mos.  That is the major downfall of them.  DD does love her Windows 8 touch screen laptop but it rarely leaves her room.... Where as the tablet goes everywhere. My sister bought her son a netbook and really it was a waste of $$.  I got him a Kindle DX when they were on sale last year and they use it 10X more often then the slow under powered netbook.  If you didn't already have a desktop then I'd say laptop, but since you do and your needs are more toward just wanting another device I'd go with a tablet (wifi only).  Make sure to check out all the reviews and it wouldn't hurt to get a warranty (we love Best Buy's).