Menu

Stars and our profiles?

swimmermom3

So I have only been on here for five years and just now noticed the stars on our profiles. :tongue_smilie:

I knew there were stars on threads, but on people?

How do others see the stars if they look on your profile?

Evil moron who is obviously clueless about homeschooling?

Just curious, before I pour a nice glass of wine and shake it off.

You guys are sweet and thank you, but I think I was wondering that if it's not content-related, then I must have really hurt someone's feelings and that bothers me.

If we have "likes" for reputation for posts we like and that are helpful, what purpose do the stars on the profile serve? This comes from the woman who always need to understand the specifics of a measurement system.

You guys are sweet and thank you, but I think I was wondering that if it's not content-related, then I must have really hurt someone's feelings and that bothers me.

If we have "likes" for reputation for posts we like and that are helpful, what purpose do the stars on the profile serve? This comes from the woman who always need to understand the specifics of a measurement system.

Someone probably did it accidentally. And AFAIK, you can only rate someone once, so if you hit one star, you can't go back and fix it.

I don't understand the purpose, either.

I think some people on tablets do a lot of accidental clicking. BUT, there are definitely people who rate people and threads they don't like.

This. I've done all kinds of accidental clicking on my touch screen. My iPad often makes me look like a profile stalker when I click on thread starter rather than thread. I can totally see accidentally hitting stars when trying to scroll.

I've also seen nursing/flailing babies blamed for un intended posts and clicks on touch screens as well.

I totally agree that it was accidental. I find it totally creepy that there is a star rating for people that way. I am sure SWB and the over-lords/mods would have disabled it if that were in their power. (If you can disable this, mods, you totally should!)

I have no stars at all, and I pretty sure I tick people off pretty regularly, so I am sure if many ppl were rating others for how much they like them, I'm sure I'd have been badly rated by someone by now, so I don't think anyone (much) gives other humans on the board bad (or good) stars on purpose. I bet 10-1 that someone did it by accident. I gave you five, and when I went to do it, you were already a 5-star'er, so looks like others have already fixed it for you! 

I have visited ppl's profiles dozens of times by accident, and only once or twice on purpose. I am sure someone just accidentally clicked something.

This. I've done all kinds of accidental clicking on my touch screen. My iPad often makes me look like a profile stalker when I click on thread starter rather than thread. I can totally see accidentally hitting stars when trying to scroll.

I've also seen nursing/flailing babies blamed for un intended posts and clicks on touch screens as well.

I had 5 stars for a long time, then dropped to 4. I had 4 last night; now I have 3 this morning.

Lots of nursing moms visited my profile last night. :lol:

I had 5 stars for a long time, then dropped to 4. I had 4 last night; now I have 3 this morning.

Lots of nursing moms visited my profile last night. :lol:

Boo.

This is where I must quote myself from a previous thread about giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:56 PM
Right or wrong, my standard answer for my children nowadays when they ask "why" questions regarding people is a big sigh, frown, and "people are assholes". It is so unfortunate. I used to be an optimist. A look on the bright side, find the silver lining type of person. Life has reduced me to 5 syllables to sum up humanity.

This probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread.

Because you see what happens when I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. :(

And for the first time ever (that I know of) I gave a rating.  Hopefully you're bumped back up to 5 now.

So I have only been on here for five years and just now noticed the stars on our profiles. :tongue_smilie:

I think the stars are an upgrade (or downgrade, depending on how you look at it) with the new software.  I know they haven't been around for five years!