Menu

Would you be satisfied with this answer?

UncleEJ

Last Monday, April 28, I woke up having heart palpitations. The were coming very frequently, about every 2-4 minutes. I noticed this but didn't think to much of it that day. The next morning, Tuesday, was the same thing. I started to get worried and posted a question here about whether or not I should be concerned. The ladies that responded to my thread urged me to go have this checked out. So I went to the ER that afternoon. I was given an EKG and blood work. The EKG was apparently normal, as was my blood work. I was released with instructions to follow up with a cardiologist.

On Wednesday I was still having the same symptoms with a bit of fatigue thrown in. For example, I watered my garden and that left me breathless. Or making a couple trips to the car to bring in groceries. I was able to get in to the cardiologist that day and he said he wasn't very concerned but since my symptoms came on so quickly and persistently, he gave me an event monitor to wear for a week.

The symptoms continued until Monday, when they started to subside. Since then, I am down to just a few palpitations a day, like maybe a dozen or so. I still feel somewhat weak and breathless when I am active ( and I'm not talking about exercising, I mean normal household tasks).

A little background, I have Crohn's Disease and am taking a drug called Uceris, which is a corticosteroid that is absorbed primarily in the lower intestine. I did a bit of research and couldn't find a strong link between this drug and heart problems. I also only drink a cup or two of tea or coffee a day. And have done so for years. I am under a moderate amount of stress, my husband works out of town for three weeks and time and is then home for a week. But there was not a specific event prior to this that was especially stressful. Just an ordinary day.

Today I had my follow-up appointment to discuss the findings of the monitor. He said that there was nothing on the monitor that liked problematic to him. Yes, there were some palpitations, but none that were dangerous. He basically said that since they seemed to have mostly stopped and because of the monitor results, that I shouldn't worry about them.

I REALLY want to trust that everything is fine! I definitely don't want to have a heart problem, my health issue list is long enough already! On the other hand, this is my heart we're talking about and I don't want to take any chances, ya know.

Would you be satisfied with this answer, or would you seek a second opinion?

Do you feel like the monitor caught the episodes you are experiencing?  There are definitely palpitations that are not cause for any serious concern.  Did your monitor have the option to flag symptoms?  MIL has worn a holter monitor several times.  She had to do it recently, and this one had options to flag any other symptoms that coincided (fatigue, dizziness, nausea, etc.)

if you feel the monitor caught what you are experiencing and the cardiologist is not concerned, I'd be encouraged.

Many people have palpitations, even severe ones, from things like moderate stress or silent reflux.  Some people have them for no reason at all.  Low vitamin D can also cause them.  If the tests all say your heart is fine, there's an excellent chance that the palpitations are harmless.  Annoying to be sure, but harmless.  

I had the same testing done by my cardiologist for palpitations last summer.... Mine were also determined to be harmless, but they feel scary. Mine seem to be worse around my period and when my reflux is flared up. My endocrinologist also just found my ferritin is low, so I just started iron supplements. I believe low iron can cause palpitations. My cardiologist did offer a rx for a very small dose of a beta blocker if the palpitations were bothering me.

Do you feel like the monitor caught the episodes you are experiencing? There are definitely palpitations that are not cause for any serious concern. Did your monitor have the option to flag symptoms? MIL has worn a holter monitor several times. She had to do it recently, and this one had options to flag any other symptoms that coincided (fatigue, dizziness, nausea, etc.)

if you feel the monitor caught what you are experiencing and the cardiologist is not concerned, I'd be encouraged.

Yes, I do think that monitor did catch the episodes and I was able to flag other symptoms. Thank you for your reply. I am trying to be encouraged!

I had the same testing done by my cardiologist for palpitations last summer.... Mine were also determined to be harmless, but they feel scary. Mine seem to be worse around my period and when my reflux is flared up. My endocrinologist also just found my ferritin is low, so I just started iron supplements. I believe low iron can cause palpitations. My cardiologist did offer a rx for a very small dose of a beta blocker if the palpitations were bothering me.

I wonder about reflux. I've never really had heartburn, not even during pregnancy. But I have been having a feeling that is what I think heartburn might be. Hmm.

What about dehydration and low electrolytes? Try drinking more, esp. Something with potassium and magnesium. It could be that the Crohn's, or the drug, is effecting your uptake of nutrients from your foods.

This is definitely something to consider. Thank you!

So weird, I was just at my GP on Tuesday for heart palps.  They gave me an EKG and it was normal, took blood, results all normal.  I'm supposed to run a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks, and I do get them sometimes when running. (Mine are the hard thumbs, not the fast heartbeat kind)  My GP okayed me to run, but I'm super nervous!  I have a cardio appt in June, but after the race obvs.

I am trying to tell myself I am fine, because I think mine is majorly stress related, and the anxiety about the palpitations is only going to cause more!

I don't have any advice, but I can commiserate!

I get heart palpitations every once in a while. They are strong enough to disturb me at times.  I have a pretty strong family history of heart issues, so my doctor had me visit a cardiologist.  Tests all came back looking good.  It's frustrating not to have an answer, but I think if there were something seriously wrong, they would have been able to see it.  I would try not to worry too much.

I would not accept that answer because of the shortness of breath and fatigue.   I would want an echocardiogram.  Women are often not taken seriously when it comes to heart disease.  It is better to get the test to be positive there are not underlying issues.  It is likely nothing but my husband experienced similar symptoms and they told him it was bronchitis.  He had no history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, family history, and was not overweight, so there was no rush as we waited 2 weeks for the echo. But, when he got it he had an ejection fraction of 8% and went directly to ICU.  Once he was released he wore a defibrillator for 8 months so that when and if his heart went out of rhythm, or in case it stopped he would get shocked back into rhythm.  He could have easily died at any point before the Echo.  Follow your instincts and advocate for yourself.  If you have any doubts, get the Echo.  When it comes back clear, then you will know your heart is healthy.

I second the echocardiogram. I went to a cardiologist last year for the same reasons -- palpitations, shortness of breath, and fatigue. My ECG and stress test came back fine. I've worn a 24 hour and 30 day monitor. All my palpitations were "within the parameters of a normal heart." The echocardiogram is the only thing that caught my "mild" mitral valve prolapse. It causes all of those symptoms and it's very common.

You may feel weak & breathless during activity if your heart rate is higher. If you have any type of heart rate monitor (like the kind for workouts), wear it around the house to get a better idea what's going on. Did you recently start the cortisone medication? Medication, hormones, allergies can all increase heart rate. Also, since you have Crohn's, your electrolyte balance could be off or you may be slightly dehydrated causing an increased heart rate. I wouldn't worry too much but it's better to get a second opinion or go back to the cardio you saw & ask for echocardiogram & stress test just to be sure.