Menu

hold back 1st Grader Struggling in Math?

JLynn1347

I have a first grader who is really struggling with math.  She is using Math Mammoth this year.  We have had to slow down every topic and find a different way to teach every single one.  Next year my plan is to switch to McRuffy math because the teaching looks more like what has worked for us.  And it is very hands on.  This was our first year homeschooling our kids so it has been a learning experience for all of us!  My question is whether or not we should repeat grade 1 math.  I don't feel confident that she has the basics from grade 1 and to me it seems like she might benefit from learning them from a different perspective before moving on to harder concepts.  As I am new at this, I am seeking advice!  Thank you!

I would work through the summer on math and not be worried about grade level. The three big topics for most 1st grade curricula. They are -a- Counting (forward, backward, and skip counting by 2s, 5s and 10s) to 100, -b- Addition and subtraction and -c- place value.

You could work on those three topics using worksheets, games, manipulatives, whatever all summer long. Do your math facts so that you are doing fact families (meaning addition and subtraction) for each group of numbers. When the time comes, give her the placement test and buy what she needs based on her placement.

What I'd do is, 1. use the summer to review and solidify the basics such as facts, and 2. use both 1st and 2nd grade together next year.  With each new concept, pull out the 1st grade materials and review / refresh and then continue with the 2nd grade materials on that topic.

A lot of things clicked for my math struggler between 1st and 2nd grade.  I understand that happens for many kids at that age.

I agree with the others: focus on the core math skills throughout the summer and in the fall start where you need to start. Stack 1st and 2nd grade chapters by topic if you can, I know that McRuffy Spirals as bit, but I think its still fairly doable based on the scope and sequence. Also don't be afraid or hesitant to supplement where needed. I find that doing 2 work slots of math each day can be very helpful for students in general, whether they struggle or not.

I like what Gil said. You could also get a 'summer first grade math review' workbook at the dollar store if you need something preplanned.

Another option could be to go ahead and buy the McRuffy grade 1 math and just start it now, skimming any parts that you feel she does understand well. You don't have to follow the school academic calendar.

I don't think I'd just go for taking the summer off and then doing first grade math in grade 2 and second grade math in grade 3 etc. unless you think she has a learning disability. While this would be preferable to just continuing with an inadequate foundation, I'd rather try to help her catch up to grade level by using the summers.

I agree.  Work gently and systematically through the summer.  Work on an understanding of math, not rote memorization.  Use manipulatives, real world math examples, etc.  Make certain they are getting the concepts and slowly keep working on the association of the concepts with the actual numbers, terminology, format etc of math.  Math is a different language and a different set of processes in the brain.  Some kids need a lot of additional time at the lowest levels of basic math to truly understand it.  If they aren't given that additional time and extra instruction then you may find them REALLY struggling at a higher level later on.  Ignore grade levels,   Work at the best pace of the child and using whatever material fits best for them.  You have plenty of time.  Each year is basically what happened the year before, just at a higher level.  I suggest getting a checklist of key 1st grade level concepts/computation.  Work through each one until they have mastered it at that level.  Then put it on a short list of items to review briefly ever couple of days or so while you move on to the next thing.  Sort of a spiral AND mastery program.  

Also, I agree with using both 1st and 2nd grade level material this next year.  I am actually doing this with my 10 year old.  He is a bit behind in math.  We are using Math in Focus and I have the TM for grade 3 and 4.  It has been a huge help.  I can move him to a more basic area in a lower grade when he struggles, solidify the concept he is struggling with, then move him back up to the higher level of that same concept.  It has helped quite a bit.

You might look at teaching them how to use an abacus.  It can be of tremendous help to students in visualizing and processing math.  I am in the process of learning how to effectively use an abacus myself so that I can teach my children.

I have a first grader who is really struggling with math.  She is using Math Mammoth this year.  We have had to slow down every topic and find a different way to teach every single one.  Next year my plan is to switch to McRuffy math because the teaching looks more like what has worked for us.  And it is very hands on.  This was our first year homeschooling our kids so it has been a learning experience for all of us!  My question is whether or not we should repeat grade 1 math.  I don't feel confident that she has the basics from grade 1 and to me it seems like she might benefit from learning them from a different perspective before moving on to harder concepts.  As I am new at this, I am seeking advice!  Thank you!

It isn't that you would be "holding back" a first grader. :-)

Do you think she could do the second-grade McRuffy? If not, do the first grade one, and move as quickly as she is able.

Math Mammoth can be difficult because it is really trying to teach the underlying concepts, not just having the student memorize the procedures. So I would not take having to go slowly as a sign that it isn't working. It's not a race and it is far more important to build up a strong foundation in math than to be in the grade X book.

My suggestion would be to get the Right Start Math tutoring program and really work on place value, addition, and subtraction this summer. http://store.rightstartmath.com/alabacuspacket.aspx

My current 1st grader has been doing Math Mammoth and Miquon alternately. Occasionally I throw in some Right Start Games or an activity from a Family math book etc.

I wouldn't think about grade level or "holding back" necessarily. Just continue to do math through the summer. Find some interesting math activity books to pull from at times (Peggy Kaye, Family Math, Kitchen Table, etc). 

and use lots of hands on manipulatives. C-rods (education unboxed videos are great), unifix linking cubes, counters of all sorts, number lines, pattern blocks, bead bars. 

My kiddo couldn't just listen and work with a math worksheet alone. Lots of games and hands on play and reading of math books go into it as well.

Are you in a state where you need to report?

Are you in a state where you need to do a standardized test? 

The answer to those questions would influence my advice.

If you need to report & send in a standardized test and you think she would score poorly, I would report her as a 1st grader again to the school district. This is exactly what I'm doing with my soon-to-be 7 year old. He isn't reading as fluently as I'd like to add Latin, History and Literature to our school day (which is what I do starting in 2nd grade). I feel another year will benefit him greatly in the short term & the long term.

If you don't need to report or worry about test scores, just say she's in 2nd grade and do what you need to do to meet her at her level. 

We live in Texas and do not have to report anything.  I was still planning on calling her a second grader.  She has Aspergers and math is just very frustrating for her.  To reduce frustration we do everything more slowly.  She did not like the mastery approach to our curriculum so I was going to do a spiral next year.  So I was going to call her a second grader and do second grade FLL and WWE and all other subjects, but keep her doing a math 1.  The McRuffy doesn't have a placement test but the company sent me a copy of a few of the final tests for each grade level and in 1st grade they go up to double digit addition and a few multiplication facts.  We are able to add up to 20 only and not any multiplication.  She is subtracting within 20.  I think 1st grade math curriculum will be easier because some of it would be doing it again, but I think that might be perfect for her.  Give her a confidence boost.  And because it is a spiral she will continue to work on concepts all year long and won't flip out when she sees it again after a few months without it.  Y'all have excellent advice though and I am going to think about all those options!

Jennifer

Call her whatever you like, since you are not in a state that requires reporting.  I am in Texas, too.  But definitely go at the pace that works best for her, whatever that is.  Let the kids excel in areas they are doing well and go slower in areas they need extra time.  I would definitely start over in 1st grade math using the new material you are considering and use it through the summer, along with math games and incorporating math into your every day lives to give it meaning and purpose.  Fill in any gaps, give her a chance to mature and grasp concepts and computation better and then move her on into 2nd grade level material when she is ready.  You don't HAVE to move to 2nd grade math until she is ready for it if your mommy instincts are telling you to repeat or slow down.  

By the way, I did want to mention that some kids struggle with computation but do really well with math concepts as long as they are provided scaffolding for the computation itself (such as a number line, number grid, multiplication grid, etc) If, as you progress, she seems bored AND frustrated, consider giving her the opportunity to try higher level math with scaffolding upon occasion, math that might include logic puzzles or geometry, and see if that resparks her interest.  Some kids really love those things even if they are not really great at computation and doing that type of math sometimes helps them with the computation side.  You could still be working on the other, but add this in for fun.

Hi Jennifer,

My son has had a horrendous year with math (he's doing primarily second grade work) and he was diagnosed with a vision processing issue that made doing double-digit addition and subtraction a nightmare. We started McRuffy, 2nd grade last week. It has been a breath of fresh air! He's not complaining about doing math. He's gaining confidence.  We're just going to work through it this summer and then go into the 3rd grade level when we finish with 2nd grade. We might skip a lesson here and there, but we're not really going to accelerate through the "easy" things. For my son, at least, the confidence boost from getting 100% in his work page is worth the extra time. 

If your gut is telling you to slow down and backtrack, I think there's merit in listening to it. 

Mel