Menu

Call of the Wild

4ofus

Just curiously, how old were your kids when they read it? I read it for the first time recently, thinking it might make a good read aloud for my animal crazed boy, but, while I liked it, I was really put off by all the violence and cruelty Buck endures. I'm just not ready to expose my 9 year old to that yet.

Oh I LOVED this book!  I read it for the first time with my then-8 year old, and he liked it well enough, but I rank it with one of my favorite books ever.  I immediately thought less (as if that were possible) of the school I attended for not introducing me to COTW when I was a kid so that I could have enjoyed it longer.  It was certainly tragic, but the scene in which Buck pulls the ice-bound sled free?  The ending?  Loved it all.  My son actually makes fun of me for loving it so much.  I need to make him read it again now that he is 10 and might appreciate it more.

Glad to see this. It's slated for next year, when ds is 11. I read it when I was a teen as English was my fourth language. I never forgot it. I've been waiting to introduce it to ds10 as he is a bit sensitive sometimes (but I think that's a good thing. He doesn't seem to agree, though).

Just curiously, how old were your kids when they read it? I read it for the first time recently, thinking it might make a good read aloud for my animal crazed boy, but, while I liked it, I was really put off by all the violence and cruelty Buck endures. I'm just not ready to expose my 9 year old to that yet.

I tried to get my dd to read it (it was one of my faves growing up; also White Fang) but she couldn't finish it for the very reason I bolded.  Of course, this was a few years ago, so I may have her read it again next year.  She'll fight me on it, but I really think it's worth the reading.

9 & 11.  It is violent & brutal, but there's so much to talk about!!  One of my sons gobbled it up.  The other one is pacing himself, reading a chapter, digesting, returning to it.  They both love it, they just are responding differently to it.  It's really quite amazing.  

I wouldn't have a child read it until about 7th grade - not because of vocabulary, because it could be read and understood before then, but because of content.  I don't think it is just the violence but because you need a bit more maturity to understand some of the themes of the book than an elementary student typically has.  

Just finished this as our nighttime read aloud with both boys (10, 14-who already read it). They loved it and we are now on to White Fang. As a read aloud, we stop frequently and talk about what's happening.

I'll throw in another great animal/nature book: The Yearling by Marjorie Kinan Rawlings. Just fantastic!

I'm glad to hear that many have saved this book until a bit later. I know it varies by the kid and some 9 year olds or younger could handle it, but I think most kids couldn't, or could maybe handle the violence but many of the themes would go over their heads. I may nudge him towards it sometime in middle school.