Menu

Vegan question

Night Elf

Dd is doing a vegan recipe book for her culinary class. She's finding recipes that use pasta. One website says that store bought dry pasta is 90% of the time vegan. Can she assume her recipes that call for pasta are okay? Also, she found a pudding cake pie that uses a store bought cookie crust. Can that be a graham cracker crust?

LOL. I know. It was about the last candy I could eat EVER, let alone during Lent. :toetap05:

The revolting thing is that the site also had a recipe for home-made Junior Mints. It takes about 2 HOURS to make a couple of boxes worth. Laziness trumps gluttony in this case.

:nopity: :seeya:

Ha! Posting at the same time:)

I would never had made mine if they took more than 1/2 hour:)

:glare:

What are you going to take away from me next, Oreos?

:lol:

Ugh, it depends on who you ask and which country you are in!

When is the US going to officially adopt a nutritional standards label for Vegetarian and Vegan, as in say the UK?!

Hubby is British and I LOVE shopping there for food. They have made it so much easier:)

http://www.isitvegan.com/2011/06/02/are-oreos-vegan/

Oreos are (or were at least) vegan. I remember when I became vegan as a teen and then lived on Oreos for a month!

I know they are -- I was just joking with Patty Joanna in an inside-joke kind of way.  If they're not 100% vegan, they're vegan enough for our purposes anyway.  :D

Oreos are (or were at least) vegan. I remember when I became vegan as a teen and then lived on Oreos for a month!

Well, that depends on whether the vegan in question is okay with all refined sugars.

I learned some years ago that most sugars sold in the U.S. are refined using a process that includes bone char as part of the filtering. So, many vegans do not eat refined sugar unless we can verify that it has been processed in a vegan-friendly way. This means that, unfortunately, the vast majority of mainstream products on supermarket shelves that include any sugar (including Oreos and most graham crackers) will not be acceptable to many vegans.

But the Paul Newman Oreos are vegan, even with the issue raised above.  And beet sugar is not refined using the bone char; just cane sugar.

According to the FAQ's on the Newman's Own site:

What type of sugar is used in the creme part of Newman-Os?

Powered sugar, which is pulverized beet sugar and corn starch, is used in our Newman-Os.

So, Newman O's can safely be considered vegan, but Oreos probably are not.

Well, I'm not vegan. :0) But sometimes I come close, due to Orthodox Church fasting practices. (We give up meat dairy eggs fish (with a backbone) wine and oil for about half the days of the year...so you can see that it is, ummm, non-label-reading vegan, mostly.)

I've learned a lot about what conscience-driven vegans practice since looking up Junior Mints ingredients. It is interesting!

I am very grateful that there is at least some level of vegan labeling on the supermarket shelves. It has made it a lot easier for me to shop, not only for Lent and so on, but also because I have serious allergies to dairy and eggs and shellfish...vegan almost always makes things safe for me, except for the pesky tree nut and peanut and banana issues. Sigh.

Ah okay.

Yeah the fining process for wine sometimes uses strange non-vegan friendly stuff.

Well, that depends on whether the vegan in question is okay with all refined sugars.

I learned some years ago that most sugars sold in the U.S. are refined using a process that includes bone char as part of the filtering. So, many vegans do not eat refined sugar unless we can verify that it has been processed in a vegan-friendly way. This means that, unfortunately, the vast majority of mainstream products on supermarket shelves that include any sugar (including Oreos and most graham crackers) will not be acceptable to many vegans.

That's true. I don't think it was known until recently and I wonder if it's common knowledge in vegan circles?

We eat very little refined sugar, but I've never made the commitment to get it all out of our vegan diet. Gives me something to consider though.

That's true. I don't think it was known until recently and I wonder if it's common knowledge in vegan circles?

I've avoided bone char-refined sugar since I did some research on the topic 25 years ago. If you wander into a health food store, you're likely to see a number of packages of sugar that are marked "vegan friendly." It's pretty common knowledge, I think.