Menu

Is this good for her age (handwriting)?

Mommy22alyns

It looks very good. If she is forming the letters correctly as she writes--holding her pencil correctly, starting lines at the top, and making circles counter-clockwise, etc.--I would be very pleased with this handwriting, particularly for her age.

It looks very good. If she is forming the letters correctly as she writes--holding her pencil correctly, starting lines at the top, and making circles counter-clockwise, etc.--I would be very pleased with this handwriting, particularly for her age.

:iagree:

Overall, I think it's great for a 5 year old. As a teacher ;) I would (1) encourage her by pointing out several of the "best things" (the upper case Ms are very nice) and (2) "encourage" her by pointing out something to improve.

For example, her entry for #3 -- is that mom or non or something else? It's hard to tell, and if you dictated "Mom," then you could correct her work by gently asking her, "What kind of letter does 'Mom' start with? That's correct, a capital M." And then ask her to rewrite the word with an upper case M (and to make it as clear as her Ms for "My" and "Madelyn," which were nicely done).

In other words, yes, it's truly wonderful for a 5 year old, and I have tutored 5th graders with WAY WORSE penmanship than this. At the same time, you can encourage her and gently suggest one little improvement/modification at a time.