Menu

College grad gift ideas? Books or other?

ThisIsTheDay

The son of a good friend is graduating from college.  He was hsed from 3-12th grades, is a committed Christian, has an engineering job lined up to begin next month, and will surely be getting married as soon as he is financially able.

I am looking for inexpensive gift suggestions.  I want to avoid cash or gift cards; I'm hoping to spend less than $30.  Book suggestions would be greatly appreciated, although I am definitely open to ANY ideas.

... Book suggestions would be greatly appreciated, although I am definitely open to ANY ideas.

Henry Petroski has some intriguing titles.

The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance  (I read this years ago.)

An Engineer's Alphabet: Gleanings from the Softer Side of a Profession

The Evolution of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts-From Forks and Pins to Paper Clips and Zippers-Came to...

Invention by Design; How Engineers Get from Thought to Thing

To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design

More titles can be seen here.

Regards,

Kareni

I usually purchase a picture frame -  one that says "Graduate" for their graduation pictuire.  I wrap the frame and put some goofy graduation item as decoration on top of the wrapping paper instead of a bow/ribbon ....like a "graduate" bear.  I find that boys especially wouldn't purchase the frame or bear themselves, but it brings a smile to their face and they do appreiciate it! Soon all the stores will have a graduation section set up with speciality frames and other items. And if you want to include a just for fun check...the year is the amount I give....for example  2014 would be twenty dollars and 14 cents

Myra

Engineers often work long hours- what about a Crock-Pot? I gave my brother one because he was complaining about spending too much money on takeout because he was too tired to cook after getting home from his audio engineering job. He told me that he never would've bought one for himself but he *LOVES* the one I got him.

Sounds like he'll be getting an apartment or house and setting up his household so I favor things that are cery practical - drill, screwdriver set, kitchen fire extinguisher, kitchen towels and dish cloths, picture frames, briefcase or laptop rolling cart, or if they are moving quite a ways and not taking a moving van, amazon gift card.

Honestly, I would just recommend cash.  $25 would be plenty to give, you could even give less.  But, that is what is most helpful to a graduate facing college or other transitions.  All five of my children received books but never read any of them.

I agree with apartment gifts or the books. A new engineer with a job waiting for him will make his own money soon enough. When I graduated from grad school, I received a hope chest from my grandparents and other apartment-type gifts, like pots and pans, and I still have most of it. The crock pot would be awesome, maybe with a couple of super-easy recipes.

Engineers often work long hours- what about a Crock-Pot? I gave my brother one because he was complaining about spending too much money on takeout because he was too tired to cook after getting home from his audio engineering job. He told me that he never would've bought one for himself but he *LOVES* the one I got him.

This is a guy who likes to eat and is used to lots of home-cooked food.  I ran the crockpot idea past his mom, who also thought it was a great idea.  I can't get my husband on board--his response was, "Don't put *my* name on it!"  I even tried to sway him by saying that we'll get him a smaller one and when he gets married (soon), someone will get him a bigger one. :)

I'm picking up the crockpot tomorrow.  Thank you!!  Lots of great ideas to choose from, this was just the one that fit the recipient best, plus it's highly unlikely he'll receive another!