Menu

Easter dinner is easier to make than BLTs

Ottakee

I was just planning what need to be cooked when and in what pots, etc. for Easter dinner tomorrow.  I realized that cooking Easter dinner for 12 people will be a LOT easier than making BLTs for my family of 5.

I can put the chicken and ham in the crock pots before we leave for church.  The Cheesy potatoes will go in the oven when we get home.  Then the rice will go in the rice cooker about 1/2 hour before we eat and then we will heat up the veggies and brown the rolls at the last minute.

That is easier than trying to cook up 2 packages of bacon and trying to make toast for everyone----esp. if we actually all wanted to eat at the same time.   Now if I could just use my crock pot for BLTs..................

Cook your bacon in the oven. We often do two cookie sheets (swap shelves half way through) for big family gatherings. 400 degrees for 15 minutes, swap, turn, and do another 10 minutes--depends on the thickness of the bacon and how you like it cooked.

Sometimes we use a griddle to do toasted bread and buns.

Your Easter meal sounds lovely!

I was just planning what need to be cooked when and in what pots, etc. for Easter dinner tomorrow.  I realized that cooking Easter dinner for 12 people will be a LOT easier than making BLTs for my family of 5.

...   Now if I could just use my crock pot for BLTs..................

Ah, Lady. I need to teach you my way of doing BLTs. We get them slammed out as fast as the bacon cooks!. It's all in the system! (We love BLTs here!....I just figured out what we're doing for dinner!)

But the BLTS still take a lot more hands/eyes on work than my Easter meal.  I just put things in the oven or crock pot and when we are ready to eat pull everything out :-)  I have done bacon in the oven as we used to do that when I cooked at the nursing home for 130 people but it is still more close eyes on cooking than my lovely crock pot Easter dinner :-)

But the BLTS still take a lot more hands/eyes on work than my Easter meal.  I just put things in the oven or crock pot and when we are ready to eat pull everything out :-)  I have done bacon in the oven as we used to do that when I cooked at the nursing home for 130 people but it is still more close eyes on cooking than my lovely crock pot Easter dinner :-)

For the heating up part, I can see what you mean. But didn't you have to spend time getting the cheesy potatoes, rolls, and vegetables ready first?

BLTs feel like a very easy meal to me. Bacon in the oven, prep the lettuce and tomatoes, then toast in the oven. Everyone makes their own sandwiches. Perhaps 15 minutes of hands-on work. I can't do an Easter dinner in that time!

I have to make at least two packs of bacon when I cook it for my group.  When making BLTs I cook the bacon earlier in the day and store it (and threaten people not to eat any).  I slice the tomato and prep the lettuce.  At the meal time I simply toast and put mayo on a slice until I have it all done then assemble with the bacon, lettuce, and tomato.  Yes.  It is a bit more work than some bigger meals.  It's just easier for me to not try to do everything at once.  

On a side note, I always laugh to myself when someone suggests breakfast for dinner as being a quick and easy meal.  For me it is far more work and time than most meals.  

Easter dinner was SOOOO easy.  It was nice.

Before church I put the ham in the crock pot on low.  Put the Hawaiian Chicken in the crock pot on high.  Mixed up the cheesy potatoes and put them in the fridge.  When we got home I added the pineapple to the chicken and turned it down to low.  Put the cheesy potatoes in the oven.  Went outside and watched the kids Easter egg hunt.  Came in and clicked the rice cooker on.  Turned on the pan under the corn.  As the kids were coming into wash their hands, etc. I popped the brown and serve rolls into the oven and we ate.  My brother and his wife brought Malt ball dessert made with the robins egg malt balls.

We just might repeat the menu for Christmas.  I loved having very little last minute prep.

The prep was easy as the veggies were frozen so just put in a pan with a bit of water.

Ham was presliced so went into the crock pot with a bit of water and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

Cheesy potatoes was a bag of diced hashbrowns, a package of cheese, a can of cream of chicken soup and a container of sour cream (and onion that had been diced up before)  Just stirred together in a 9x 13 pan.

Chicken was frozen chicken breast and topped with 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup brown sugar (stir in a can of pinapple chunks a bit before eating)

Rolls were brown and serve ones.

I didn't say we had the healthiest meal around but it was EASY.

I can put the chicken and ham in the crock pots before we leave for church.  The Cheesy potatoes will go in the oven when we get home.  Then the rice will go in the rice cooker about 1/2 hour before we eat and then we will heat up the veggies and brown the rolls at the last minute.

That is easier than trying to cook up 2 packages of bacon and trying to make toast for everyone----esp. if we actually all wanted to eat at the same time.   Now if I could just use my crock pot for BLTs..................

I cook for 11 every night.  Sandwiches, especially BLT's, are by far the most time consuming meals.

I have to make at least two packs of bacon when I cook it for my group.  When making BLTs I cook the bacon earlier in the day and store it (and threaten people not to eat any).  I slice the tomato and prep the lettuce.  At the meal time I simply toast and put mayo on a slice until I have it all done then assemble with the bacon, lettuce, and tomato.  Yes.  It is a bit more work than some bigger meals.  It's just easier for me to not try to do everything at once.  

On a side note, I always laugh to myself when someone suggests breakfast for dinner as being a quick and easy meal.  For me it is far more work and time than most meals.  

Depends on what you cook for your breakfast dinner.  Pancakes take a ridiculously long time.  French toast the same.  Eggs, (purchased) cinnamon rolls or toast in the oven and fruit.  Easy peasy!  :)

I cook for 11 every night. Sandwiches, especially BLT's, are by far the most time consuming meals.

Depends on what you cook for your breakfast dinner. Pancakes take a ridiculously long time. French toast the same. Eggs, (purchased) cinnamon rolls or toast in the oven and fruit. Easy peasy! :)

Have you seen "pancakes" baked in a sheet pan? A friend of mine did them for a spend the night party and said they came out great. http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2012/09/easy-oven-pancakes.html

There's a recipe for cinnamon roll pancakes where you just draw on swirls with the cinnamon goo. She used that on the sheet pan.

Have you seen "pancakes" baked in a sheet pan? A friend of mine did them for a spend the night party and said they came out great. http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2012/09/easy-oven-pancakes.html

There's a recipe for cinnamon roll pancakes where you just draw on swirls with the cinnamon goo. She used that on the sheet pan.

Wow!  thanks!  I will use this when the grands are visiting!