Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 4/13 - 4/19

Negin

Today was my long run day.  I ran 6 lovely miles.  The weather was perfect; I love spring. :)  I also did kettlebell in the afternoon.  I did my own program of 10 push-ups, 10 pull-ups, then 5x20 swings with T-holds (or waiter walks) inbetween and rack hold walk at the end.  I did that routine 3 times.  It wiped me out a bit.  I may have pushed a bit too hard, but tomorrow is rest day.

Mandy, have fun watching your dh squat. :D

Feeling better physically (broke down and took a Claritin and got a good nights sleep) but rather down emotionally, stupid hormones are driving me crazy. Planning BA and kettlebells today, it looks like rain all day today so nothing outside.

Yesterday was rest day. You  know running errands and house cleaning. :lol:

My rest day was similar- I mowed the lawn.

Today- 5 miles on the elliptical and then paddling about with youngest 3 and a friend in the indoor pool at the rec. center.

Tonight- MMA.

DH refused to go to crossfit today due to thunderstorms and a hard work day yesterday for him (he has a very physical job so he isn't exaggerating) So, I opted for fitness blender workouts instead. warm up, butt, thigh and glute workout and then a cool down. Great workout. I am loving that website!

Yesterday was supposed to maybe be a rest day but it was so beautiful that I went running and then did a 60 min stretching DVD. Today was supposed to be 30 mins dance aerobics and 60 min ballet beautiful but I was sort of tired. I guess I should have done that rest day, lol.  So today I did just the ballet beautiful. I hope I feel more lively tomorrow.

Oh, and we have snow on the menu for tomorrow. I might take the day off from exercise because I will be curled in a little ball with my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears, yelling LALALALA.  That might take up my whole day.

Where do you people with all this snow live? That's crazy talk. Crazy. It's hitting upper 80s where I live. I'm already dreading the summer heat.

So who here will admit to obsessing over new workout shoes? I need new ones and I always drive myself nuts researching what to get.

I loved my Nike Free way back when they had the first version. Now for some reason Nike shoes are too narrow. I have two New Balance shoes. One pair has thick soles and lots of cushion and it drives me crazy. The balls of my feet actually hurt in them. My feet just ache in them. I think they might be meant as walking shoes for which they are fine. Working out not so much.

The other pair are crosstrainers and I like them, but they have little nobs on the soles and they bother me. I can feel them when I'm bouncing on the balls of my feet and those little bumps are not the most comfortable. Otherwise they were fine. I can tell they are worn out because I'm starting to get ankle twinges when doing lateral jumps. I need good lateral support.

I'm looking at the New Balance WX20v3 shoes or the Merrell Crush. The New Balance are less expensive so probably go with those. Anyone have these? Other rec?

Ok, off to actually do my workout instead of looking at workout shoes.

So, I am a bit broken. Pulled my hamstrings somehow....💪. Yeah, my arms are way stronger than my core....should have chosen a smaller weight. Anyway, nursing my legs, means no running, so I am going a bit nuts! My trainer is out of town this week, so I am taking a break and hoping to get back to training by the end of the week.

I did hike with my kiddoes yesterday...3 miles of gentle trail.

Hoping to do some core arms and abs today. Then going to serve Passover dinner at the nursing home my daughter works at.

So, I am a bit broken. Pulled my hamstrings somehow....💪. Yeah, my arms are way stronger than my core....should have chosen a smaller weight. Anyway, nursing my legs, means no running, so I am going a bit nuts! My trainer is out of town this week, so I am taking a break and hoping to get back to training by the end of the week.

Do you have a place to swim?  Swimming kept me sane last fall when I damaged my meniscus.

So who here will admit to obsessing over new workout shoes? I need new ones and I always drive myself nuts researching what to get.

Raising my hand.  Workout shoes are an expensive luxury for me, obsessing is part of the fun.  I just bought merrill minimalist shoes. The merrill's arch bugs me when I go running (so I haven't retired my asics like I thought I would)  but for working out or cross training they are really really wonderful.  I especially like them for kata work when I'm at the gym that won't let me go barefoot.  

Today- kata work with 12 yo ds.  He taught me a new one and managed not to laugh or scream in frustration as I continually mangled the same portion over and over.  I woke too late for my normal workout.  Feeling frustrated because I probably will have to miss tonight's martial arts class as well.  

I did hike with my kiddoes yesterday...3 miles of gentle trail.

Hoping to do some core arms and abs today. Then going to serve Passover dinner at the nursing home my daughter works at.

Ouch! Take care of that.  It's hard to be patient but you don't want to make it worse.

Where do you people with all this snow live? That's crazy talk. Crazy. It's hitting upper 80s where I live. I'm already dreading the summer heat.

I loved my Nike Free way back when they had the first version. Now for some reason Nike shoes are too narrow. I have two New Balance shoes. One pair has thick soles and lots of cushion and it drives me crazy. The balls of my feet actually hurt in them. My feet just ache in them. I think they might be meant as walking shoes for which they are fine. Working out not so much.

The other pair are crosstrainers and I like them, but they have little nobs on the soles and they bother me. I can feel them when I'm bouncing on the balls of my feet and those little bumps are not the most comfortable. Otherwise they were fine. I can tell they are worn out because I'm starting to get ankle twinges when doing lateral jumps. I need good lateral support.

I'm looking at the New Balance WX20v3 shoes or the Merrell Crush. The New Balance are less expensive so probably go with those. Anyone have these? Other rec?

Ok, off to actually do my workout instead of looking at workout shoes.

Actually I seem to have been blessed with feet that can run in anything.  I keep thinking I will go to the (singular) running store in the nearest big town and look but they are expensive and then I think, what if I don't like them as much as my cheap Nikes from Kohls.  Oh, I live in northern Indiana.

It is still snowing. It is so difficult for me to want to exercise when it is soooo cold. So yesterday nada, but I had exercised 6 days in a row so a day off was good. Today I did a 'Ballet Beautiful' workout because it really is the least I can do. I like to save that one for the super hot weather because it involves lying on a mat and that is pretty much it. When it is 98 degrees and 90% humidity I can just keep a fan on me, lol. But on these cold days I can do it and just call it done.

Cold again tomorrow and then cold and rainy for days on end. I am going to have to restart that C25K when the weather warms up a bit. 

Ran 5 miles yesterday, which included a hill workout.  Because it was so cold in the morning, I waited and ran before lunch.  The hill I used is a big one, on the main street of our town.  Apparently, lots of people took notice, because it my running up and down was reported several times to my dh at work. :)  I did some yoga in the afternoon.  

Up for today is a short run and kettlebell, which includes lots of lunges.  My right knee is feeling "off" but I'll see how it goes.  

Yesterday- nothing. I was in a fender bender Saturday and woke yesterday and this morning with a terrible back ache. I have my workout clothing on but have not actually done anything; I may have missed my window.

Tonight: A Bruce Springsteen concert.  Maybe my back will loosen up to dance badly for several hours and I'll count it as a workout:)

So what type of injury do I have? I can put my full weight on my leg and it doesn't hurt. I can walk but it twinges each time I have to bend my knee to move my leg forward. I can bend my leg up to 90 degrees and then it starts to hurt, pull, and feel tight. The higher I lift my leg back (bending at the knee) the sharper the pain. It's right above my knee cap but not the knee itself. The area above my knee is a bit swollen.

So torn muscle? Ligament? Tendon?

And I need you all to scold me for doing a normal workout this morning and not doing something low impact. I'm always telling you here to listen to your body and nurse an injury. What do I do? Bounce around on an injured leg and make it worse.

If this is part accountability thread then ya'll help me be accountable to not making injuries worse. 

You can try looking at youtube for egoscue exercises for the knee.  I have the book and I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing, but I did add some of the exercises in it to my daily stretch/limber routine.     The static back exercise seems so ridiculous when you see what you are supposed to do but for some reason it really helps to set my hip.

Just throwing it out there...

Ok, after some googling (love how that's a verb) I'm pretty sure I have either quadricep tendonitis or a tear in my lower quad muscle. Rest and ice.

Any suggestions for low impact workouts I can do that don't involve my leg?

Blech. I wish I knew what I did that caused this injury. I'm careful with form. Did I not land correctly? Did I twist it somehow? I don't know. I'm annoyed.

Ok, after some googling (love how that's a verb) I'm pretty sure I have either quadricep tendonitis or a tear in my lower quad muscle. Rest and ice.

Any suggestions for low impact workouts I can do that don't involve my leg?

Blech. I wish I knew what I did that caused this injury. I'm careful with form. Did I not land correctly? Did I twist it somehow? I don't know. I'm annoyed.

:grouphug:    I hate being injured. I hate trying to figure out what's wrong and how long it's going to take to recover.  

Low impact, no legs??  Hmmm, maybe kettlebell swings.  the legs don't bend much, and no additonal weight is put on them.  

Do take it easy.  I know it's hard, but in the long run it's better to take extra rest and recover fully.  

I bought a knee brace. I purchased my dh the 4 week low impact workout schedule from FB a couple weeks ago. I plan to do that for the next few weeks and modify moves as needed. I can put weight on my leg. I just can't bend it very far. I probably shouldn't bounce on it either

I bought a knee brace. I purchased my dh the 4 week low impact workout schedule from FB a couple weeks ago. I plan to do that for the next few weeks and modify moves as needed. I can put weight on my leg. I just can't bend it very far. I probably shouldn't bounce on it either

Do you know any trainers?  Physical therapists?  Sports massage therapists? I cannot recommend them enough.

Where we do martial arts there are a bunch of sports therapists of all flavors.  When I hurt my knee last fall one massage (it was called something else with lots of words which I cannot for the life of me remember) that was focused on resetting pain messages and softening the muscle in that leg and hip and working the sheath loose on the muscles, was all it took to help me stop limping- I think it shortened my healing time by months.  I ended up having my leg worked on twice.  It was utterly amazing.  -That was after seeing the orthopedist and being braced and on crutches, so I knew exactly what my injury was.  

He also told me what to do to help retrain my leg.  Braces can be really bad for you if they keep you limping.  

Yesterday- just a stroll through a botanical garden which was completely offset by the birthday donuts, fresch gnocchi with mushroom/asparagus whitesauce and cheesecake.  Yummmmm.  Having guests is always fun.  

This morning 2 hours of open mat.