Menu

prealgebra- what can I use to get ready?

Hi,

I have a 12 year old, 6th grader, who I think is almost ready for pre algebra.  Is there a course, book, program, or something of this sort that would firm up anything we might have missed before starting pre algegra?  I am looking for something cheap, simple that maybe just reviews important concepts-decimals, percents etc.  He has done Hands on Equations up through level 2, but I just want to make sure all the basics are covered before beginning the pre algebra course.

ANYTHING is worth posting as I have nothing now!

Thanks so much!!

pam

What are you planning to use for prealgebra?  Most prealgebra programs include review, and more in-depth work, in fractions/decimals/percents.  Unless you think there's a weakness in those areas that may require specific focus, I'd just go ahead and start prealgebra.  Prealgebra is the "get ready for algebra" course.

Last summer my oldest did most of the prealgebra lessons on yourteacher.com as kind of a pre-prealgebra.  It was very light; I would hesitate to ever call it a thorough prealgebra course, despite the name.  It was more of an introduction of prealgebra concepts and a review of basic math (in other words, it would poorly prepare a student for a typical algebra course).  I think the homeschool buyers co-op offered the subscription for free for the duration of the summer; they might offer it again this year.

I agree that you can probably just start him on a pre-algebra course that includes review of basic math (most I am familiar with do). You could also get a used Basic College Mathematics (I like Aufmann, not sure of spelling...Lial's is popular, but all the references to fast food etc. in the edition I saw were not right for my family) book to review everything up to pre-algebra. There are also review books published by Barrons.

Maybe you'll see this tonight.  There is an app called Dragon Box.  It is free today for android.  It normally costs $6.  It is great for pre-algebra.  When I handed it to my son, he though it was just a game and then after a while he realized it was math and loved it!

Math Mammoth has worksheets (7) to help you practice with pre-algebra. I'm using these in conjunction with half of Dolciani's Pre-Algebra's problems (only the odd ones include results). All this will be in 7th grade. Right now we're moving into 6th (starting next fall).

If you want to just run through the important basics before starting pre-algebra, you might have him do the Key to series...

http://www.amazon.com/Key-Fractions-Steven-Rassmussen/dp/1559531002

Great little workbooks that I am using right now to solidify my own weaknesses in math.  Fractions, Decimals, Percents, etc. are all important for Pre-Algebra/Algebra.  These workbooks are terrific for review without a pile of other things.  They focus on specific skills.  It works well if you do level one of each section then move to level two of each section and so on.  Sometimes, though, kids do better to stick with reviewing just one concept at a time.  If you decided to try these, you might try both ways and see which one he does better with.  I was weak in those specific skills/concepts going into Algebra, although I was not really aware of how weak they were until I actually was in pre-Algebra and had difficulties (I also had a lousy pre-Algebra instructor so things didn't improve).  I suggest you get the answer keys along with the workbooks.  Really, really helpful for quick checking.  I love this series.

There is also Khan Academy.  And as AmyontheFarm mentioned there is DragonBox.  I have Dolciani's Pre-Algebra as sagira mentioned.  Good book but I have not tried using it with the kids yet so I can't recommend it one way or another for prep work.  

Good luck and best wishes...