Menu

Large Font Phonics Readers

MistyMountain

Reading hasn't quite clicked for ds yet. He can sound out words but he isn't fluent at all when reading a sentence and he really loses focus fast when reading. I switched from AAR  and now I am having him spell the words in Phonics Pathways with letter tiles and he has been enjoying it much more. I think he gets overwhelmed with a lot of text on one page and small letters.

He doesn't have a vision problem. He had an appointment with a COVD more for fine motor concerns but he checked out fine. Are there any phonics readers that have big print and only one sentence per page? He doesn't like Bob books and the AAR readers print is too small. Also I am hoping it is something that a typical library would carry.

Many level 1 easy reader books only have 1-3 sentences on a page, with large font. The pictures are more engaging than typical readers, so it might be an issue if he gets distracted easily. But on the other hand the stories are for the most part enjoyable, with (simple) plots he might get engaged with, and there are so many possibilities you'd be able to find books on topics he's interested in. It also would feel like he's reading "real" books, rather than readers.

I See Sam books are also pretty good, and (at least in the beginning levels) only have one sentence per page. They're available for free from Gutenberg. My DD is currently hooked on Progressive Phonics, which is also free. There are more words per page, but it's joint reading so you let him read the highlighted words as well as other words you know he'd be able to figure out, and the rest are for you to read. The joint reading is fun, and it makes it easier for them to keep track of the (very short) story while figuring out words.

I use a piece of paper under the line my child is reading to hide the rest of the text from her (I mean my younger child now) and that helps. I See Sam readers I have used with her but the print is too small. What I have found works is to use books in open library (yes, even for a 3 year old) where I can enlarge the text for her - also they are free so I feel nothing if she is not interested or if it fails to work. She read some of Hop on Pop that way and I read her the rest. (You can search on there for phonics readers and I know Usborne has a whole lot that might work that are available on there but I am not sure how big the font is and how much you would need to enlarge it.

The other thing that worked with my elder child was to write her a note when she was young - it took some thinking from me to use words she could read though I would occassionally put in other words and she learnt those pretty quickly - that way I could write as big as she needed and also make it as short as she could manage and since it was addressed to her she remained interested.

Tadpoles makes a series of easy readers that sound like they'd fit your needs. The books are a step up from BOB books and have colorful illustrations. They're still mind-numbing and asinine, but it takes a long time before they can read anything interesting, anyway.

http://www.crabtreebooks.com/products/by-subject/early-readers/tadpoles

This made me remember a set of Usborne phonics readers I bought for my dd when she was tiny. They are done in the same 'spot the duck' Usborne style with colorful, fun illustrations. My dd hated most phonics readers but she adored these. We got ours in England, but I see them quite a bit in the US now. Amazon has them, an I even saw a couple at the library:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_15?k=usborne+phonics+readers&sprefix=Usborne+phonics

Speaking of Usborne, there is a series called Usborne Farmyard Tales, where one on each page, one part is read by the parent or slightly advanced reader (several lines of smaller text), and the other part has a larger-print one-liner to be read by the beginning reader.  It isn't a phonics series, but it might be worth a look.