Menu

Youth Digital's Minecraft Mod class is ON SALE! 17 hrs left!

ETA This sale ends in 17 hours. Right now it is 10 am EST on Thursday April 10, so that means it ends at......5 am est?

There's been a fair amount of talk about how awesome these classes are, but the price (at $250) was always too high for us. But Plum District (like Groupon) is offering this for $149 for just 3 days. My 8 yo has just begun the class and he is delirious with happiness about learning how to code Java via Minecraft......

You can learn more about the class here; http://youthdigital.com

If you're interested, please use my referral link!! http://www.plumdistrict.com/three_for_free/ec1934e9dc/click

Here are some WTM threads about it:

YouthDigital Two Thumbs Up!!

Youth Digital

Youth Digital Releases Modding class!

My son just uploaded his Mod over the weekend.

He loved the class.  Simply loved it.  We used it as motivation to do his other schoolwork.  He is 10 and has never done any coding whatsoever.

I was really impressed with how quickly they got back to him with questions.

IMHO, it was really well done.  I got it through HSBC, but after this, I would pay full price for one of their courses.

Bear with me, I know nothing.

So, if DS took this class, he would learn to create his own world on their server??  Or would we need to find a server?  I vaguely remember a comment about other kids stealing designs--please explain that to me. 

No, he would learn to create a mod, which is either a new animal, structure (?) or weapon that can then be used by other people. If he wants to create his own server, that's a whole different thing. We are considering doing it, but using a hosting service. 

Glad to hear the good feedback. My 8 year old has just begun, and he's so excited.My 11 year old isn't sure...he might not have the patience! 

Just curious--how long did it take your son to finish the course?

We started about mid-January and he just uploaded his mod last weekend.  

My 10 yo started in mid-january, and we just took 2 weeks off for spring break.  He's not done - last I hear he had a lesson or 2 left, but then there is the advanced material?  He is not so obsessive about it, but usually does about 20 - 40 minutes per school day.  He's also managed to write the teachers when he's stuck and get help, which is awesome.  You have the material for a full year, so there's no rush.  He really loves it - he'd done some Scratch before.

Oh, a friend of mine said her 9 yo son finished it in a month.  I asked if he'd done all the lessons and all the building and she said "I dont know, he just said he wants me to buy another one" . . . she is an unschooler, so I'm not sure if he really finished it, or just finished what he enjoyed and then stopped?

So this is a one year subscription for a self-paced course? Correct? My son is over the moon excited about this and I need a birthday gift idea for him. . .

Yes, 12 month access. Ds8 has already asked the teachers a few questions and their responses were prompt and helpful.

This sounds great! Will one subscription work for two children or must each child have his/her own?

Each child needs his own. I mean, if one kid just wants to watch over the other's shoulder, and then you enjoy having the two of them bicker over what color their sword should be or what not  :laugh:  then by all means, by one subscription LOL.

We are buying a second for my older son today. 

That was my 10 year old.  8 year old wanted to do it too, but I wasn't sure how it would go….so I held off. I'm thinking of buying it for him for the summer.

My 8 year old is fine with it. Assuming a good knowledge of Minecraft and computers, he should be fine, IMO.

How young of a kid can do this? Could an almost 7 year old do it? He's reading pretty well and very good at technical, computer based things.

Hmm, maybe. It takes a lot of patience. But if you helped him, he probably could. My 8 year old is doing it independently and could probably have done it last year, if he had been as into Minecraft as he is now. If he is good with technical stuff, as you say, I would say give it a go.

Hmm, maybe. It takes a lot of patience. But if you helped him, he probably could. My 8 year old is doing it independently and could probably have done it last year, if he had been as into Minecraft as he is now. If he is good with technical stuff, as you say, I would say give it a go.

Thanks!

I'm having trouble ordering on the plumdistrict site.  It acted like it went through after not working 10 times, but I'm not getting any sort of confirmation.  I'm afraid that if I keep trying again it's going to purchase a 100 of these...

I ordered it with no problem earlier.  Can you go into your Plum District account?  Your key should be in there.  Then you go to  Youth Digital, do a checkout there and put your code in to make the total zero.  I hope you're able to figure it out!

Really perfect timing that I found this thread.  Thanks for posting it Halcyon.  O.k. I created a Plum District account, sent in the order and everything went through just fine. I am a bit confused where it says that the promotional value expired 10/2/2014.  Does that just mean that I need to redeem the voucher by that time or that DS needs to complete the program by that time or owe the difference between the promotional price and the regular price if DS doesn't complete the program by that time?  Does anyone know?

I think you just need to start the program by then, but you can email them to ask. they're really helpful.  You definitely don't need to finish the program by then, as it's considered a 12 month course--that is, you have 12 months to complete it. 

I'm having trouble ordering on the plumdistrict site.  It acted like it went through after not working 10 times, but I'm not getting any sort of confirmation.  I'm afraid that if I keep trying again it's going to purchase a 100 of these...

did you get it to work?

Really perfect timing that I found this thread.  Thanks for posting it Halcyon.  O.k. I created a Plum District account, sent in the order and everything went through just fine. I am a bit confused where it says that the promotional value expired 10/2/2014.  Does that just mean that I need to redeem the voucher by that time or that DS needs to complete the program by that time or owe the difference between the promotional price and the regular price if DS doesn't complete the program by that time?  Does anyone know?

My guess is you need to redeem the voucher by that point, meaning start the course. 

I don't know, Stacey. I've never seen it on a groupon-like site like this one. I know HSBC has a sale on it in the spring, but there has to be enough interest to drive the price down to 149 (that's as low as it could go, if enough people show interest). 

• 1 month later...