Menu

Hist./Lit Curriculum using the Bible as core?

Was wondering if anyone knows of a history/bible curriculum that uses the Bible as the core.  I want to follow through the Old Testament and chronologically work our way through using our Chronological Bible but want to incorporate history and literature as we go along.  Does anyone know of a set out plan that would help me go about this?  Thanks in advance!  Looking for MS/HS ages.

We have done VP through elementary ages.  I was looking for something where the spine is the Bible and trying to tie in the history time periods along with the Bible.  I hope that makes sense....just trying to find history that goes along with our Bible readings as we study and go through the entire OT.  I will look into Paula's Archives never heard of that but maybe that would be a place to start.  We want to go in depth in our Bible study next year not just reading some like VP or others has it done.  For instance I wanted to go into Israel's history, Persia's reign, Assyria, Babylonian etc. Maybe I'll go through my VP OT cards again for ideas. Thanks for your help!

I can't think of one that wraps history the other way around. You'll probably have to build it yourself. The David Downs books (Unveiling the Kings of Israel, Unwrapping the Pharoahs) could get you started running history alongside.

I've never used it, but Foundations Press on CurrClick does that for history, I think. It takes 2 years to go through what SOTW vol 1 covers. And it's not complete--years 3 (Middle Ages) and 4 (Modern Times) aren't published yet. It also doesn't have included literature.

http://www.currclick.com/product/72297/From-Ancient-Times-Creation-to-Assyria

http://www.currclick.com/product/82554/Daniels-Statue-Babylon-Persia-Greece-and-Rome

I commented on your post in the High School group but I also wanted to recommend the Foundations Press curriculum. I have Foundations Bible 1-3 and they are fabulous! I plan to use Foundations 1 along with the Foundations World History 1 with my 6th and 8th graders next year (possibly my 4th grader as well). 

We have done VP through elementary ages.  I was looking for something where the spine is the Bible and trying to tie in the history time periods along with the Bible.  I hope that makes sense....just trying to find history that goes along with our Bible readings as we study and go through the entire OT.  I will look into Paula's Archives never heard of that but maybe that would be a place to start.  We want to go in depth in our Bible study next year not just reading some like VP or others has it done.  For instance I wanted to go into Israel's history, Persia's reign, Assyria, Babylonian etc. Maybe I'll go through my VP OT cards again for ideas. Thanks for your help!

My Father's World Creation to Greeks for 4th - 8th graders (2nd / 3rd can join in), and their 9th grade program, AHL, do exactly what you are describing.   The Bible is used as a spine for CTG and AHL for 9th grade goes through every word of the OT as a history spine.  Both programs use the Bible as the spine and then bring the other history into it.  I have used Veritas some as well, and it is different than the 'Bible as a spine' that MFW puts into their ancient history programs.

I liked Foundations Press but the history and Bible I am looking for don't go hand in hand....I ended up going with Simply Charlotte Mason Genesis- Deut. & attempting to finish the Joshua-Malachi one as well since I can do all my kids with it. I like MFW but for the price and simplicity I chose SCM. Thanks for all your suggestions!!!!