Menu

Coach potato to 5k people

Has anyone finished this and really enjoyed continuing running?

I'm such a complete and horrible slug. I did the first day on Saturday, and it made me itch all over. I read that this happens to people who are badly out of shape.

Anyway, I just want to hear that others have done this, stuck with it, and woke up one day saying, "Man, I really want to get up out of bed and go for a run!"

I did it last year to help me lose weight and get in better cardiovascular shape after my beloved elliptical died. I did it for maybe 3-4 months then winter hit and I quit. I should start again. The beginning was hard, BUT if was great to be pushing 40 and able to jog for 45 min after only 2 months!

Lisa

I started this back in June. It's been enough weeks that I should be done with it, but I still haven't gotten to the point that I can run 5k regularly. Actually, I've only managed 5k once. However, I can run 2 1/2 miles without it totally killing me. I am in much better shape than I was 2 months ago and I've noticed the change in other aspects of my life too.

That said, it was very hard at times, especially the beginning. I still don't enjoy running, but I enjoy my new found stamina and energy enough to continue doing it. My goals aren't to become some great runner that can go long distances or run a mile in 5 minutes. I just want to run 3 miles (okay, maybe 5) on a regular basis to stay fit and healthy and it's helping me to do that.

You should join us on the exercise/running update threads that we have everyday - they really help keep me motivated and we would love to have you.

My sister started the program the beginning of April and ran a 5K the third weekend of July. She took a break, but is back running and swears by the Couch Potato to 5K!! Her excitement is a little catchy...I have to say, after spending the weekend with her, I came home quite inspired (although not quite off the couch:laugh:

Yes!!!!! You are great to be even trying--I'm proud of you! A few years ago I was not a runner, but after a a chunk of time went by with some consistency, I honestly started to look at my running shoes with love. I commented to my friend that I actually looked forward to putting on those shoes and going for a run. While that isn't always the case, there is hope for more enjoyment. The thing that worked for me when I first started (and still works when I haven't been for a while) is to take it really, really easy, doing one minute at, say, a level 5 (out of 10), the next at a 6, then 7, then 8, then 9, then back to 6,7,8,9 and repeat until at the end of your run you might do a level 10 for the last minute. The lower levels are not pushing it, and at the higher level of effort, I just tell myself that I can do anything for a minute. Of course, what constitutes a level 5 or 6 or whatever might vary with any given day.

Two years ago I followed a 12-week training program. I had not been running or exercising previously at all. And yes, at the end of the 12 weeks it was easy, felt great, and I looked forward to my runs. And I ran a 5k in under 30 minutes which was my goal (yay!). But then we got busy with paperwork/preperations for my dd2's adoption and I stopped. I so wish I hadn't because the hardest part is getting started and here I am, two years later, in the same place again. :glare:

So yes, you can do it!! But whatever you do, once you get there, keep it up! Good luck and have fun. :001_smile:

I joined a local running group; the leader is fantastic...absolutely encouraging.

We started running 3km, doing 3 and 1s (run three minutes, walk one), each week we've upped our mileage and added one minute of running (so 4 and 1s, then 5 and 1s). We're at 10 and 1s now and though EVERY week it gets harder, and it actually doesn't feel easier, I know I've come a long way, because I wouldn't have been able to run 10 min. straight at the beginning.

You can do it!

Has anyone finished this and really enjoyed continuing running?

I'm such a complete and horrible slug. I did the first day on Saturday, and it made me itch all over. I read that this happens to people who are badly out of shape.

Anyway, I just want to hear that others have done this, stuck with it, and woke up one day saying, "Man, I really want to get up out of bed and go for a run!"

I have. I run 3-4 miles regularly now and am working on getting to 5 and hoping to be ready for a 10K soon.

I didn't do this program in particular, but I started running/walking in April or so. By June or July I was able to run the 5K. I'm now training for a 6 mile race in October. I can now run 4 - 5 miles without too much trouble.

I wouldn't say I love getting out of bed to run. And, some days are SO much better than others during the run. But, I'm NEVER sorry I got up to run when I'm done!!!

Come join us on the exercise thread! (heehee -I typed in threat first!)

I starter the program last September and fell off at Christmas when life was really busy. I started back up in February and fell off again. I started again in June and fell off again. I just started yesterday and feel great! I have problems with my cortisol levels which drain me and make it hard to run. The thing I like is that since I started the couch to 5k last year I m in better shape and I can start off at running 30 minutes instead of working up to 30 minutes.

My advice:

Start slow. Don't over due it or your body will rebel.

If you fall off, get going again.

Put your running clothes and shoes on and you will be more motivated.

Don't worry about how fast you run, just keep a nice pace and you will get faster as time goes on.

The buddy system works well, but if they fall off keep going.

If I can do it, you can do it!!

I've done the Prevention Plan instead (4 years ago, and I'm doing it again now). I really DID enjoy running -- loved it. The problem comes when I get to a certain point, and I run out of places to run around here. I really need to find some places I can drive to -- like along a river or something. That sounds wonderful...

It's really hard to imagine ever being able to run three miles. Or ever really WANTING to get up and run.

But I did my second day today, and I felt great afterwards. It seems like such a gentle start, so we will see where this goes. But thank you for your encouraging stories. I read some of them last night, and went back and laid out my shoes, socks, the dog's leash. I got up and left the house before I had time to really think, "Do I want to run? Would I rather drink coffee and read email?"

You have probably heard my story about using the Couch-to-5K program after Kai was born and I had my subsequent surgery. I could not walk a half mile at that time. After physical rehab, I followed the program slowly but surely and got into the running groove. That was three years ago and I still run. So yeah, it takes effect.:)

It's really hard to imagine ever being able to run three miles. Or ever really WANTING to get up and run.

But I did my second day today, and I felt great afterwards. It seems like such a gentle start, so we will see where this goes. But thank you for your encouraging stories. I read some of them last night, and went back and laid out my shoes, socks, the dog's leash. I got up and left the house before I had time to really think, "Do I want to run? Would I rather drink coffee and read email?"

If you go to iTunes and into podcasts, you can search "couch 5K" and download free podcasts that you can listen to while you run that tell you when to walk, run, walk again, etc. It times it for you, via music and spoken instruction.

You have probably heard my story about using the Couch-to-5K program after Kai was born and I had my subsequent surgery. I could not walk a half mile at that time. After physical rehab, I followed the program slowly but surely and got into the running groove. That was three years ago and I still run. So yeah, it takes effect.:)

No, I hadn't heard the story. I knew you were a runner, but I just assumed you were one of those people who had always done it. So you were relatively inactive, started, and stuck with it? I just find that very encouraging.

The itching gets better. My daughter and I thought we'd go mad...it's intense, is it not? One thing that helps me is to put my running clothes right by the bed with my shoes. I don't allow myself to think about it because I can always think of all kinds of great reasons not to. Running is kind of a mystery to me too. Sometimes I'll be all ready to go mentally and just have an awful run. Other days I'll have to drag myself out the door and then have a marvelous experience. Give yourself a silly running name (my daughter calls herself Tail's on Fire) and post a journal with your times, distances and comments (good day, hated it, whatever) on the fridge. It's REALLY motivating to see how many miles you wind up with at the end of the week. Thanks for the post. It will help me drag myself out tomorrow morning.