Menu

An Onion cutie!

creekland

Gotta love The Onion!  (IF Onion humor is not your thing - please skip this thread and save yourself the annoyance... ;)  )

http://www.theonion.com/articles/college-admissions-office-finds-ideal-applicant-ca,35605/

(This one is about a college finding the "ideal candidate" for acceptance... but don't overlook the last sentence as they find a second ideal candidate there!)

LOL

Having been stuck in an elevator with a claustrophobic football player, I especially like that last line, although I am sure there are plenty of unthuggy football playing students out there.

Somewhere out there is an Erica who is subsidizing youngest's education.  We mention her occasionally and remind youngest to remember to lend his fellow students a hand when he can.  We are deeply grateful to her.  And, with my less-than-academically-oriented students, I am grateful we live in the US, where there are so many colleges.  In many countries, my children would be unable to have a college education, as equitable as those systems might be.  I'm laughing over the article, but it is a rather sympathetic laugh.

Nan

LOL

Having been stuck in an elevator with a claustrophobic football player, I especially like that last line, although I am sure there are plenty of unthuggy football playing students out there.

Somewhere out there is an Erica who is subsidizing youngest's education.  We mention her occasionally and remind youngest to remember to lend his fellow students a hand when he can.  We are deeply grateful to her.  And, with my less-than-academically-oriented students, I am grateful we live in the US, where there are so many colleges.  In many countries, my children would be unable to have a college education, as equitable as those systems might be.  I'm laughing over the article, but it is a rather sympathetic laugh.

Nan

Totally the same here... In reality, I'm thankful for those who can afford to be full pay and I'm glad we have a plethora of different college options so there can be a fit for (almost) everyone.  I prefer that the majority of colleges look at more than scores on tests (even if one needs those scores as a baseline).

But I still enjoy The Onion and how it pokes fun at reality.