Menu

Classical Teacher from MP

Haiku

The double pleasure of being able to say, "Yeah, I do Latin and the great conversation," and "Wow, we're so much less stuffy than these guys." I wonder if that's what they're secretly aiming at.

:lol: :lol:

Still waiting for the new Classical Teacher, but...yeah...that thought crossed my mind recently.

I tossed the whole thing in the recycle bin after starting one article.

Something about the superiority of a teacher teaching at the front of the room and how "modern" educational theory does horrible things like have the teacher sit with the students on the floor or circulate in the room.  They also don't like learning centers, which I've seen work very well with young children in teaching science.

Just rubbed me totally wrong...maybe I didn't read it carefully, but I have an attitude about these things.  Even with college students, sometimes I like sitting right with them, doing the same exercise.  And I let them work in pairs, and walk around a lot.  Horrors!

I usually enjoy the magazine, but I agree that this one was super-smug.  I think they have a good thing going with their Highlands Latin School or whatever it's called, and the college admission essay from one of their students was certainly . . . interesting, but to say that their brand of classical education is THE way to go for EVERY child is just a little over the top.  And I've been in enough elementary and early childhood classrooms to know that a teacher standing in front of the class imparting knowledge is not always going to work.  Sometimes learning centers ARE the way to teach a concept well.

Glad it wasn't just me who didn't like this issue.

I also wasn't impressed with the bit about kids sitting in straight rows of desks while teacher lectures at the front. I really don't think that retaining good things from the past means we have to throw away everything we have learned about education and learning in the last fifty years.

I feel the same. I constantly wonder why I keep reading it. That first article in the latest issue was way over the top - even for them. I actually stopped about 1/3 of the way through and reread. I was sure I must be misunderstanding. The classical school would have mindless drones, sitting silently, doing the exact same assignment... and this would be a good thing? :confused: