Menu

The Vikings - anyone watch?

PrincessMommy

I've just started hearing about this show and it's only already been on a year.  How did that happen?  It's available for free live-streaming via amazon prime.

Has anyone watched it?  Care to give feedback?   I'm curious about how historically accurate it is?   The description says it's "gritty".  That gives me pause.   What about goriness or sex scenes?  I've stayed away from Game of Thrones & The Tutors because they both sounded too far over the top for my tastes.  Not that I'm expecting none of these things, but is it tamer, the same, or worse than GoT/Tutors?

Thanks

We watched the whole first season a couple of weeks ago.  It is really well done, and definitely not appropriate for children.  The second season started last week(?). 

It is a bit gory.  While the sex scenes are not gratuitous or explicit, there is some sexual violence that could be disturbing.

We only watched the first few episodes of the Tudors, and Vikings is definitely tamer than that.  We haven't seen GoT.

We only watched the first episode, so not sure I'm qualified, but that first episode was SO incredibly boring that we decided we did not want to watch.

It was not as gratuitous in violence as a show would be on Showtime or HBO (Tudors or Game of Thrones) but it was a little more than I expected from the History channel.  I don't recall if there were any bedroom situations going on.

The show is based off of historical figures, but it is NOT historically accurate overall.  In fact, a lot of the religious bits are downright wrong.  However, the show is ok.  Definitely gory and some sexual situations would keep me from letting my 13 yo (rather obsessed with the time period) from watching it. 

There is an  historian working with them who wrote a book about the vikings, but they definitely take some dramatic liberties.  The character, Ragnar, was a legend but most historians seem to believe he was an amalgamation of several real people.  In the legends, he had three wives . . . so far, he's had two in the series.  And twice, a second man has been invited to join a couple in bed, etc.  Every battle scene (and there are many), peoples faces end up spattered with blood.

I found out about it 3 days before season 1 expired from free Hulu, so I watched the entire thing in three days!  Now I wait anxiously for the next episode! Its beautifully filmed, a majority of it outside.  I've been watching the 'making of' clips - these actors had to learn to sail these ships for real for the scenes.  

I dont usually like gratuitous violence, but when its done by shirtless, tatood men wearing leather and wielding axes  . . . .mmm.  

Agree with what everyone else has said.  We watched it from the beginning, excited to preview it for our children...uh, yeah, not happening!  Not appriopriate for my children.   I do feel there are unneccessary sex scenes....I think it's a bit graphic...there's nakedness, writhing, kissing, group tryst, rape, etc.....inneuddo would have gotten the same point across.   The violence is pretty graphic too....people are always walking around with blood all over them.   DH and I watch it, we enjoy it, but not sure on the accuracy, and very sure that my children won't be watching it :).

I watched it with DH.

I am not letting my children watch it, even the older teens. too much sex violence and drug use. there are bedroom scenes with naked people action happening mostly view of backs  and other people invited to join in, sex orgies with everyone on mushroom walking around completely naked, rape where it was extremely obvious what was happening, finishing off with the Viking killing the woman etc.  The violence includes children getting strangled, graphic detail of human sacrifice with people getting their throat slit, catching the blood pouring out of their throat in dishes etc. and then  hung upside down in trees, as well as battle scenes with lots of blood and gore. Things like that