Menu

little ones and breakfast

athomeontheprairie

My ds2 wakes up hungry (and grumpy!) every morning we argue about food. About which bowl he wants, about what cereal or bread or eggs, about whether he has milk or juice.

I don't care what bowl, he is free to choose. he'll choose a cereal then complain about it.

it's as though he so hungry and tired and that he's grumpy. and everything is wrong, even when it is his choice. is this part of just being two? there a way to get him happy in the morning? I really hate waking up to an incredibly grumpy, argumentative boy

If it's low blood sugar making him grumpy, I'd probably have the child eat a banana or something right away when he gets up, something he can serve himself and isn't waiting on anyone else. Then maybe the mood will improve in time for breakfast.

This is my solution for the children whining in my bed that they're sooooo hungry if I haven't gotten up yet -- go eat a banana and let me be! :)

My ds2 wakes up hungry (and grumpy!) every morning we argue about food. About which bowl he wants, about what cereal or bread or eggs, about whether he has milk or juice.

I don't care what bowl, he is free to choose. he'll choose a cereal then complain about it.

it's as though he so hungry and tired and that he's grumpy. and everything is wrong, even when it is his choice. is this part of just being two? there a way to get him happy in the morning? I really hate waking up to an incredibly grumpy, argumentative boy

Just off the top of my head...

I'd make a menu together WITH him and set the table WITH him the night before.

Then at bedtime, I'd review the menu casually, "and tomorrow is Friday! So it's Pancake Day!"

Good luck. Oh, and maybe a small protein snack before bed. We'd do cheese with...tortillas, pretzels, crackers...

Cup of milk immediately (like greet him with it in his room) then tackle food. Maybe you're offering too many choices? Try not offering any and see if it's better. Sometimes the options are overwhelming. And sometimes, yes, it's just being two. Plus temperament. My oldest would argue with a brick wall, starting around 2.5. She is a beast with low blood sugar. I will hand her a small spoonful of PB with a couple of chocolate chips and tell her to eat it if she wants to live to see 11. ;)

Our 3-year-old twins do the same thing...so you're not alone!  :)   They must be growing, growing, growing so fast that we can't pump them full of food fast enough.  I do what other posters have mentioned--an immediate banana (or other fruit) right away with juice/milk, and then follow up with the substantial stuff.  Protein helps!  (Also, dh and I are big fans of narrowing choices with our kiddos, as also previously mentioned.)  

I allow my children choices and I am a big proponent of giving a toddler two or three limited options, to allow them to choose from those pre-determined 'choices'. I don't like being too overcontrolling and I like to try and encourage my kids to form opinions and determine what they would like.

But that does NOT happen at breakfast time! :)

The kids never get to 'choose' plates and bowls here, we either have assigned ones, or they are all shared and I just grab two.

They don't get to pick their drink at breakfast, I pick the drink and whether it will be a special one or not.

They don't get to pick what they have for breakfast. If I decide to give them cereal and they're in a good mood I might let them pick which cereal. Same with toast, they can choose jam/vegemite/etc IF they are in a good mood, but generally I pick breakfast, and what I put out goes. If DD1 is adamant she does not want something, I MIGHT let her have another option determined by me (she does not want a banana, ok, then she can have a museli bar, no choosing from the entire cupboard, just a museli bar, and she is not allowed to refuse the museli bar, there's no further options, at that point it's either banana or museli bar)

My kids are generally good with decisions, but decision overload happens really quickly first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, so having no choices, or a maximum of one choice, actually keeps them happier.

We have had a few mornings of refusing to eat breakfast (and I have also determined genuine dislikes from fussyness so I no longer choose options which are actually disliked) which can be troublesome, but by sticking to my guns and not allowing them to find other food until the next mealtime (which I might make a little earlier than normal for everyones sanity!) we find it's rarely an issue. When it does happen, more often than not they do return to the table to eat their still-waiting breakfast within an hour or so (I don't clear breakfast away unless it's going to go bad quickly, to allow for them to accept the food and come back to eat it which probably happens two of every three times. When it doesn't happen it is usually a sign of a genuine dislike)

They are allowed to request a specific item, nicely, which I may or may not choose to give them. But there's no umming and ahhing and refusing what's presented while they look over all the options in the cupboard. If they know what they want I might let them have it, otherwise breakfast is up to me.

Obviously I'm only talking about little ones here. They will get the freedom to choose their own breakfast when they're old enough to make their own breakfast. If I have to make it, I get to choose it. 

I really am not a mean, controlling authoritarian mummy, I promise! It's just breakfast where I'm this strict lol.

I'd move all of his choices to the night before. Let him set out that bowl before bedtime, or after dinner . . . whenever he isn't grumpy and hungry. My son finally got old enough to recognize when he's too flustered to make a choice. He'd get that stressed look when I offered choices, and I'd ask "Do you want me to just bring you something?" Most of the time he said "Yes." He also got old enough to join me for a morning cup of tea. We have tea the first thing, then think about food a little later when we're both fully alert. Neither of us are fans of food the minute we wake up. I'm not advising caffeinating your toddler, but a smoothie may improve everyone's morning. You can essemble several and have a freezer stash so you just need to dump and blend in the morning.

Like others, I try to get food into my "hungry morning" kids right off- as soon as they sit down, they have a glass of (chocolate...) milk and fruit of some kind.  This gives me time to then cook oatmeal or eggs, or slice up cheese and crackers as well. 

I don't do choices at meal times, I don't want 3 kids eating different things.  :-)  They help me make dinner menus and get to dress themselves, but I won't be a short order cook!