Menu

s/o Are "Allergy Shiners" worth testing for?

jenn-

Myself and all 4 kids to varying degrees have what doctors always refer to as allergy shiners.  Other than a light contact dermatitis every once and a while and spring allergy symptoms, we don't really have any other signs of ongoing allergies but the shiners never go away.  I mentioned allergy testing one of my kids years ago and our doc at the time brushed me off with a comment about having dogs and cats and whether we would be willing to get rid of them if the test came back positive.  Just recently though my youngest reacted with an itchy mouth to a kiwi and now I am wondering if he and I (my shiners are the worst) should go for a round of allergy testing.  What would you do in this situation?

My oldest has allergic shiners but did not test positive for anything on an allergy test. People have suggested she may have a dairy intolerance even if she doesn't have an allergy. She also did not test as having lactose intolerance and has no symptoms.

My 11 yo tested allergic to milk and wheat and never had shiners.

ETA: I have been showing shiners in the last year or so. I only tested positive for dust mites but the doctor wanted to do more testing for indoor allergies, but I never went back. The testing was before I had shiners.

I think doctors tend to assume all dark under eye circles are "allergy shiners", even when there may well be other contributing factors. For example, my dd, who doesn't have any known allergies and who usually does not have the shiners, got a bad cold. She had not been sleeping well for a couple of weeks, due to the coughing and congestion. The PA at our doctor's office grandly announced that she had allergies ("Just look at those allergy shiners!)He refused to consider that the dark circles came from 2 solid weeks of poor sleep.

Needless to say, I threw his Rx for allergy meds away, filled the one for a strong antihistamine, and as soon as dd's congestion cleared up, the circles disappeared and she was fine.

I have always had allergy shiners. I have never really been able to get rid of them. 

Okay, I'm not pulling up the right quote for some reason.

Regarding your post: 

Lactose intolerance is not the same as an allergy.

Lactose is the sugars in milk. When they test for a dairy allergy they are testing for a protein allergy.

One can have issues with lactose and that would not show up on an allergy test. 

We actually had separate allergy testing with an allergist and lactose intolerance testing at a children's hospital, ordered by a GI in trying to figure out dd's problems before deciding to do the endoscopy.

I do have a lactose intolerance.  It is enough that I cannot drink a glass of milk, but I can eat cheese and ice cream (a reasonable serving size) without the digestive issues.  All my kids consume milk regularly without any outwardly obvious symptoms, except maybe the shiners.  So is there a test for lactose intolerance or is it just a test milk protein allergy?

I do have a lactose intolerance.  It is enough that I cannot drink a glass of milk, but I can eat cheese and ice cream (a reasonable serving size) without the digestive issues.  All my kids consume milk regularly without any outwardly obvious symptoms, except maybe the shiners.  So is there a test for lactose intolerance or is it just a test milk protein allergy?

Our test required my dd to drink a lactose drink and breath into a device every half hour for two hours, I think, and record any symptoms over the next 12 hours or so. We went to a children's hospital as I said, but my friends daughter had the test with a local pediatric GI and got to eat ice cream before breathing into the machine. I don't think allergists do this kind of testing. 

I think doctors tend to assume all dark under eye circles are "allergy shiners", even when there may well be other contributing factors. For example, my dd, who doesn't have any known allergies and who usually does not have the shiners, got a bad cold. She had not been sleeping well for a couple of weeks, due to the coughing and congestion. The PA at our doctor's office grandly announced that she had allergies ("Just look at those allergy shiners!)He refused to consider that the dark circles came from 2 solid weeks of poor sleep. Needless to say, I threw his Rx for allergy meds away, filled the one for a strong antihistamine, and as soon as dd's congestion cleared up, the circles disappeared and she was fine.

Interesting. 

A NP saw my shiners AND the back of my throat and recommended claritin. I believed I didn't have allergies based on the testing I had two years before, but I took the claritin to try it. I had been having all over pain and the claritin made an unexpected difference with that. It was weird.

Well, you know, if y'all are allergic to any part of dairy, the cure is to eliminate dairy. Y'all could just do that for a couple of months and see what happens and save yourself a trip to the allergist.

Unless it was something that was clearly a problem, I don't think it's worth the cost of a trip to the allergist, yet.  Two of my daughters have allergy shiners off and on.  For one of them, it's more of a minor seasonal-allergy thing.  For the other, it comes on pretty quickly when her respiratory system is struggling.  For her, we do meet with an allergist/asthma doctor.