Menu

Here we go again: Performing Arts Scholarship Weekend

Jenny in Florida

My son is headed to one of the more local colleges on his list for two days of classes and interviews and auditions. He's already been admitted to the college. However, the scholarships being handed out on the basis of this weekend would make it possible for my son to consider actually attending. So, I'd really like it to go well.

Does anyone else have a student doing an audition this weekend?

No auditions, but interviews.

Good luck to your ds. Is this school his top choice if he earns a scholarship?

He's not allowed to have a top choice until we see the financial packages, because I don't want him feeling like wherever he might end up for practical reasons is a second choice.

It's on the short list, though.

How about your offspring? Are the interviews for a hot prospect?

Hope auditions went well! Ds is done with all his auditions and we should be finding out scholarship offers in mid to late March. We are not holding out a lot of hope for big scholarships, though. Most of the schools have limited funds for music scholarships. Our most likely financial options will be the 2 public schools that have also offered decent merit aid along with state-funded merit aid.

Hope auditions went well! Ds is done with all his auditions and we should be finding out scholarship offers in mid to late March. We are not holding out a lot of hope for big scholarships, though. Most of the schools have limited funds for music scholarships. Our most likely financial options will be the 2 public schools that have also offered decent merit aid along with state-funded merit aid.

It's a two-day event. Today, the group is taking classes with dance and theatre faculty, touring the campus, meeting current students, etc. Tonight, they will be seeing a performance of the theatre department's current show.

Individual auditions will be tomorrow morning, followed by interviews with faculty in the afternoon.

I know what you mean about limited funds, though. All but one of the schools at which my son has been accepted so far have offered nice, chunky merit scholarships (equal, on average, to somewhere between half and two-thirds of the tuition). He's been told he's been recommended for performance scholarships everywhere he's auditioned thus far, but the majority of the available awards seem to be in the neighborhood of $1,000 - $5,000 per year. Those are nice, of course, but barely enough to make a dent in the total cost of attendance at some of these schools.

Best wishes to him!

Dd2 is done with auditions, and we are in waiting mode. She, like others, cannot have a top pick until she learns which ones are financially possible. One of her schools doesn't promise notification until April 15, so this may be a LONG wait.....

Good luck!

Wow, not until mid-April? I'm dreading having to watch my son hang on until mid-March. I hope it all turns out to be worth the wait for your daughter and that she gets wonderful offers!