Menu

The real skinny on Teaching Textbooks

KrissiK

Teaching Textbooks  

48 members have voted

1. 1. I feel like Teaching Textbooks is....

• Above grade level and highly challenged my child
    • Is at grade level, adequately prepared my child
    • Is below grade level and did not challenge my child

I am seriously considering switching my three oldest to Teaching Textbooks for math next year. I'm going to be adding a kindergartner to the mix and just need something that can be done independently. I hear mixed reviews about the curriculum, though, and want to make sure my kids are staying at grade level. So, here's the poll....

On the poll choices, whether the sequence is on grade level is a very different question from whether it challenged a particular child or what the level of challenge is generally.  In other words, sequence and challenge are two different things.

I agree with wapiti.  TT may be using a different sequence than other curriculums and therefore may be "behind" other curriculums, but you use the placement tests to find what level a child is at.   Don't just go by what grade level is listed on the front.  Now, in using the appropriate level after taking that test, are they then learning enough?  Are they challenged enough?  Those are different issues and that is not necessarily as easy to answer.

I think TT can be a great curriculum to use for many kids (we use it)...in fact, I think for some it can be a lifesaver, for many reasons.  But I would strongly urge parents to incorporate other resources as well, and to keep an eye on how the child is doing.  There are some who have gone through the entire curriculum and done great in high school and gone on to college with no issues, passing SAT etc with flying colors.  There are others who, once they got to standardized testing in high school, realized they went through all of the material with no conceptual understanding and a real weakness in math.  Some children will also need a lot more practice than what is available.  

The other thing I would urge is the use of the workbook.  Writing out the answers instead of only entering the final answer in the computer, can help solidify concepts and math facts.  Also, if a child gets an answer wrong, I would urge that the parent have the child try to figure out for themselves WHY they have the wrong answer, even if it takes a bit, before watching the video to find out where they made a mistake.  This can really help them understand their own thought processes and if they are prone to simple computational errors or if they are genuinely not understanding the material.  Much more useful in the long run than just watching the video to find out what they did wrong on that particular problem, IMHO.

Best wishes.  Sorry I didn't vote.  I don't think there was anything on the poll itself that accurately reflected my thoughts.  Good luck!

I voted option 3, below grade level. Meaning that she was in Horizons 5 and went to TT 7. If I had just bought TT 5 without doing the placement test, it would have been stuff she already knew. Actually, we are just now in Ch 5 and it is still stuff she knew BUT and this is big for me (literally and figuratively :rofl:). I don't want tears as we move forward to pre-algebra.

I'm preparing for when it starts to get harder for her and I NEED a curriculum that explains WHY she got the answer wrong. I'm getting her used to it now so it's easy peasy when she hits a speed bump.

I don't use it anymore, but did with the older two when they were homeschooled.  I can only say that my son only got about halfway through TT 5th grade before entering public school.  The first half of public school 6th grade math was super easy (and now he has hit things he never learned). He was totally and appropriately prepared.  My daughter did through most of TT Algebra I.  She has to take Algebra I in 9th grade because of the stupid STAAR test requirement.  So far there has been nothing Teaching Textbooks didn't cover and actual class in school has been easier than TT.  (This is in an extremely challenging school district - one of the best out there.)

I am seriously considering switching my three oldest to Teaching Textbooks for math next year. I'm going to be adding a kindergartner to the mix and just need something that can be done independently. I hear mixed reviews about the curriculum, though, and want to make sure my kids are staying at grade level. So, here's the poll....

I voted at grade level...only because I thought it unfair to say below grade level.

I really wish TT would have just levels and not grades.  If they were marked Level 1, Level 2, etc....maybe people wouldn't get in a tizzy about it.  Don't just automatically put your kids in grades 3, 5, and 6 next year.  Have them take the placement tests and put them in the level best for them. 

On the poll choices, whether the sequence is on grade level is a very different question from whether it challenged a particular child or what the level of challenge is generally. In other words, sequence and challenge are two separate things.

Sorry about that. You know, I have never been able to make good poll questions. I made up a questionnaire once for a grad class and it was the same way. Hmm. Thanks for your input!

My first grade son was doing TT3 just fine because my other son hated it. Part of the reason my older son hated it was that he couldn't fix something and wasn't the best on the keyboard. He would bump something and it was frustrating him. or it was taking him longer to find what he was needing to type in. He also hated that he couldn't go back and correct what he missed so he would ask me to erase so he could redo it until he had a 100%, even if he missed 2... it became quite the hang up for the perfectionist. He usually never misses more than 2-3 problems and he always has to fix them.

I didn't vote because I needed an "other." LOL  We use TT at grade level and it's working very well for us.  We will complete a grade and a half in the school year.  I also use the occassional sheet from MM.  For us, it is more than adequately preparing my DD because it's a math that she actually gets.  We were using MM and it just left her constantly struggling.  Her mind does not work that way and the lack of parent teaching instruction left us both frustrated.

Be sure to do some google searches for reviews too.  Being a classical site, TT gets a tough go here.  I found that the majority of reviews are very positive every where else but here, so that's something to consider.   

Sorry about that. You know, I have never been able to make good poll questions. I made up a questionnaire once for a grad class and it was the same way. Hmm. Thanks for your input!

FWIW, the reason that came to mind when I saw the poll questions is that a struggling learner might find an appropriate fit - and thus feel challenged - in a program slightly below grade level *and/or* objectively lighter on challenge/depth.

There's a long, old thread discussing pros and cons of TT at length here: Does TT Help a Child Understand Math?

There was a more recent thread here:  Is Teaching Textbooks on grade level or behind?

I would like if it said levels too.  For one child it's a great fit, another it's too easy and for the youngest she just hates it but I refuse to buy different math because we just don't have the funds for her own personal math.  DD13 is using TT-Pre Algebra and she's about a third of the way thru (started in January) and she's only needed a little help. TT7 was harder for her but that is when we switched from MUS to TT.  I am using TT for all of my kids next year.

Whether it's "below grade level" depends on what you're comparing it to.  It introduces many concepts later than many other homeschool math programs.  Take the placement test to find the right level for your children.

My 9 yo 3rd grader is using TT3 and finds it easy -  just how she likes it :001_rolleyes: .  I've considered it good practice/review for her, with some new information mixed in.  She finds math in general easy, though.

My 10 yo 4th/5th grader (would be 5th if she'd stayed in public school, doing well with typically 4th grade materials mostly) is using TT4 and the placement is *spot on* for her.  Just enough challenge, not overwhelming.  FWIW, she finished TT3 last fall.  She's bright but a late bloomer.  TT has been incredibly helpful in building her confidence in math.  We pair it with Miquon to give her an extra boost because she hit a roadblock early on in TT4 doing equations like:  ____ -4=8.  TT is weak on conceptual explanations, so I feel supplementing is helpful.  In her particular situation the combination of Miquon and TT has been golden.

I didn't vote in the poll.

I have a daughter using TT7 & OM 6. Her younger brother just finished SM 5B & LOF Decimals & Percents. They have been covering the same material, all year. So my vote would be slightly behind, which doesn't really matter as long as you do the placement test :) If I could go back in time I'd have used TT with her from the beginning (this is our first year with it). She is finally "getting" math.