Menu

Is Teaching Textbooks on grade level or behind?

ChristusG

DD9 is currently doing Abeka 4 Arithmetic and we've been using Abeka for math only sine 1st grade. She's been having some trouble borrowing fractions, etc. Honestly I'm not great at math so I thought it may be time to consider something that may explain it better than I can. I'd heard good things about TT. But when I looked at the placement tests, it seems she would test into the Math 7 or pre-algebra books. That can't be! Does TT run behind? I know Abeka runs ahead but I didn't think by too much.

No, it's mastery. Builds on itself each lesson. She loves the word problems and laughs at the silly scenarios. Grade wise, she's doing exactly the same. She had done 40 lessons in Horizons 5 and I just started her at the beginning of TT7 because I wanted her to get used to the structure of it.

My favorite part is that there is an answer key. Just means the world to me. Does Abeka have one? I've never used their products. I will say that we don't use the computer portion yet because it needs to be used on a computer and we have an odd lifestyle. (Read signature) I also still wanted her to do her work on paper because she's still 9. She takes awhile because Horizons is repetitive about checking your work and so she double checks everything. (Translation - messy workbook)

Horizons is spiral. Kids like all the colors and smal amount of problems per concept. It's just that the explanation is very teacher intensive or you have to hunt it down in the book.

Look into Math Mammoth. It is a strong program with excellent explanations built right into the worktexts. It is also on sale through Friday at HSBC.

I've heard too many "horror stories" from HSers I know IRL whose older kids used TT all the way through high school but then placed into low-level remedial math at college. Much more so than any other HS math program.

Look into Math Mammoth. It is a strong program with excellent explanations built right into the worktexts. It is also on sale through Friday at HSBC.

I've heard too many "horror stories" from HSers I know IRL whose older kids used TT all the way through high school but then placed into low-level remedial math at college. Much more so than any other HS math program.

And I have heard so many positive stories about homeschoolers who used TT all the way through and did great on their SATS's, in college, etc.

TT gets a bad rap, and I am really not sure why.  

We've used it for 3 years(3rd,4th,5th), and I love it.   DD tested 2 levels above, and I put her in 1 level above just for confidence buildling.   She UNDERSTANDS math now.   Something I never achieved in public school.     

When you use any standard math program out there that everyone has heard of, I really think you're going to be fine.  I really feel that TT teaches in a better way for so many students.  Find something that works for YOUR kid.

The reason students fail after using TT is because the parents thought that TT took them out of the equation.  You can not do that!!!  You have to stay on top of things, you have to have your kid either do the workbook or write out the problems.  You need to check it, you need to make sure your kid understands it.  It's really easy for kids to "play the game" with TT... they can make it look like they understand if the parents aren't looking at their work and only looking at the gradebook on the computer.  TT is a tool, you still have to be a teacher!!!

Exactly.  

Thanks for all the info! Actually, this sounds like it may be just what we need. It might can explain it better than I can. But then I can still come behind and actually see her do the problems. Actually, I think I'd probably watch the lessons right along with her. About how long is each lesson on the DVD? Does anyone know if the website has a sample chapter? Where we can actually view a DVD lesson?

TT is the most spiral program I have ever seen. In no way is it mastery. TT works very well for my non-mathy kid who used to cry over Math Mammoth.

Math Mammoth is mastery-based. It was a disaster for my son, who needs time for concepts to gel and can't just keep plugging away at the same thing with the expectation that what was learned yesterday is understood today and ready to be built upon. MM worked very well for my mathy dd, but it is challenging, and because the author is not a native speaker of English, sometimes the wording is confusing. I would not use MM with a kid who struggles with math.

In the end it's about what teaches your kid math the best, not which program is ahead or behind. Personally, I find TT to be about on par with what the PS kids are doing.

No, its not mastery!  Not even close.  It's a very tight spiral.

Math Mammoth is mastery.

TT is on level compared to most standard math textbooks.  Most homeschool books are way ahead.  Have your DD do the placement test(s) and place her where she tests into.

I also have to disagree with all the "horror stories".  I have a 9th grader, now in PS who is taking Trig/calc after using TT at home. 

The reason students fail after using TT is because the parents thought that TT took them out of the equation.  You can not do that!!!  You have to stay on top of things, you have to have your kid either do the workbook or write out the problems.  You need to check it, you need to make sure your kid understands it.  It's really easy for kids to "play the game" with TT... they can make it look like they understand if the parents aren't looking at their work and only looking at the gradebook on the computer.  TT is a tool, you still have to be a teacher!!!

:iagree:

Where we live, we need to complete all of one grade and half of the next of TT in order to align with our math standards.  To me, that's not drastically behind by any means.  Honestly the majority of complaints I hear are from people who haven't even used the program.  They've simply viewed a sample and said "it's too easy."  For us, we *needed* easy.  My DD was constantly fighting with MM.  It was a great supplement, but when we used it as a core, she just burnt out.  There isn't a lot of teaching in MM- when compared to say BJU math, and I am not great at math, so I wasn't a lot of help.  TT has been great for us!

DD does all her lessons on the computer, but then I go through them and she has to redo any she got wrong or had to try twice.  She does corrections on paper.  I have her do all of her quizes on paper as well.  I want to make sure she's understanding and not allowing the computer to jump to the correct spot, etc.  She loves math again and she's learning.  She didn't retain half of what she covered in MM because every single lesson was a struggle for her.  So a "strong" program doesn't a "good" program make. 

Unfortunately, this is my niece. (She is my sister's 4th child) My sister and I have very different homeschooling philosophies and rarely discuss homeschooling bc we do not agree on most things (really probably everything :p ) This yr, however, we both have graduating srs and she has talked to me about things more than normal. (Me....I just listen bc I never share my opinion w/her bc it is disaster in the making).

Anyway, my niece has been using TT for high school. Even though she has been making high As (while doing all the math and showing all her steps.....not cheating the TT system) her SAT scores in math are so low that so far she has not been accepted into any of the schools she has applied to. My niece is now facing the possibility that she may have to attend the local CC next yr and apply as a transfer student.

Right now they are on pins and needles waiting. 2 of the schools said to send in her DE credits from this past semester and then they will re-evaluate. (Her DE credits are in English and psy, not math.).

My sister and I have had this understanding that homeschooling is a taboo topic. So, for her to tell me that she regrets TT is huge.

No, it's mastery.

TT is definitely spiral.  There is constant variety in the lessons and you touch on everything again and again.

No, its not mastery!  Not even close.  It's a very tight spiral.

:iagree: with all of this.

Definitely use the workbook.  The child still needs to put pencil to paper, and if you skip the workbook you aren't getting that vital part of it. 

Actually, I think I'd probably watch the lessons right along with her. About how long is each lesson on the DVD? Does anyone know if the website has a sample chapter? Where we can actually view a DVD lesson?

That's what I do.  We watch the lesson together (or I'm doing something very close, like washing dishes, and still listening and seeing)...this way we can pause it and talk about it if we need to.  The lectures are short.  They vary in length, but they don't take long at all.  Then we do the practice problems on a white board (there are always 5 practice problems after the lecture, Practice A - E).  She then does the problems in the workbook.  After that we put her answers into the computer. 

We are using TT on grade level.  We started last year in 3rd, and I probably could have put her in 4...but she had been a little behind and I wanted her to have success and not struggle, so I went with 3.  We recently just started 4.  Because a lot of it is review right now, she's doing two lessons a day and not using the workbook (she just puts her answers right into the computer).  Once we hit new material we'll slow back down to one lesson a day and use the workbook. 

We LOVE TT.  :001_tt1:  I think it's ingenious.  I also am not very good at math (only had General Math in 9th grade), so I look forward to learning too. 

There are plenty of samples of the lectures and the problems at the website. 

Honestly the majority of complaints I hear are from people who haven't even used the program.  They've simply viewed a sample and said "it's too easy." 

:iagree:

It has a different scope and sequence, and introduces some concepts later  or in a different order than other math curricula. This has worked well for my older DD and "okay" for younger DD (I'm thinking of switching her to something different).

I feel for anyone who doesn't do as well as expected on the SAT, but I think it's hardly fair to blame that on the math curricula.  TT is not magical, and it does not work well for every student.  It's up to the parent to make sure that the content is really clicking.  This is where offering problems from other programs as a test is really useful to check understanding.  This is also why test prep is so important. 

. This is where offering problems from other programs as a test is really useful to check understanding. This is also why test prep is so important.

Well, if we did talk about school, that is what I would have recommended. Last yr when we were visiting them , I did mention that kids can cheat the system. She said she knew and that her dd did the math sitting together and that her dd wrote out every step and thoroughly understood everything. Last yr she was singing TT praises. Her dd didn't take her first SAT until the spring and her scores were a shock. Her other kids all did decently on the SAT (around 1250 for math and CR). They, however, used books like Saxon or Larson. She really thought TT was a blessing.

Does that mean it is true for every student. No. But, it does mean it is true for my niece. The OP wants input.....she should hear both sides of the story. My niece had a high A in TT through their pre-cal. And, fwiw, my opinion is that SAT math problems are a low bar to gauge math understanding by, so I suspect her understanding of high school math is very low. (But that is purely my opinion. ;) )

DD9 is currently doing Abeka 4 Arithmetic and we've been using Abeka for math only sine 1st grade. She's been having some trouble borrowing fractions, etc. Honestly I'm not great at math so I thought it may be time to consider something that may explain it better than I can. I'd heard good things about TT. But when I looked at the placement tests, it seems she would test into the Math 7 or pre-algebra books. That can't be! Does TT run behind? I know Abeka runs ahead but I didn't think by too much.

I'm not sure what you mean by "borrowing" fractions, but if she's having trouble with fractions, I would use a program at the level where it mainly teaches the fraction concepts.  I would not jump to a more accelerated level that might not even include the basic instruction on the topic that she needs.  (This is where I'd consider the actual sequence of topics taught rather than place according to the "mysterious black box" of percentage on a placement test.)  Fractions are entirely foundational for algebra down the road and worth taking the time and effort to nail down right from a concept standpoint as well as a procedural one.  (FWIW, in many programs, the main, deep fraction instruction is around 5th gr.)

OP here.....if we did go with TT, then I'm quite sure she'd test into 7. Possibly 6. (She's in 4th grade now). But that means she'd finish it early. Around 10th grade. I'm not sure what we'd do for the remaining years.

If you choose TT, at least consider supplementing with additional, deeper resources to round out her math education.  There are so many available.  And, FWIW, not to worry, there's no such thing as running out of math.

Here's an old thread discussing the pros and cons at the secondary level: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/174951-does-tt-help-a-child-understand-math

Okay, question....I've looked at the sample and there are problems online.  When you refer to workbook, do you mean doing the problems that are presented on the screen in the workbook? 

Wondering about it for my gifted but dyslexic, possibly dyscalculic 8.5 yr old with low processing and seemingly no ability to remember facts.

Well, if we did talk about school, that is what I would have recommended. Last yr when we were visiting them , I did mention that kids can cheat the system. She said she knew and that her dd did the math sitting together and that her dd wrote out every step and thoroughly understood everything. Last yr she was singing TT praises. Her dd didn't take her first SAT until the spring and her scores were a shock. Her other kids all did decently on the SAT (around 1250 for math and CR). They, however, used books like Saxon or Larson. She really thought TT was a blessing.

Does that mean it is true for every student. No. But, it does mean it is true for my niece. The OP wants input.....she should hear both sides of the story. My niece had a high A in TT through their pre-cal. And, fwiw, my opinion is that SAT math problems are a low bar to gauge math understanding by, so I suspect her understanding of high school math is very low. (But that is purely my opinion. ;) )

It occurs to me that ALL my comments on TT high school math are pure speculation since I've never used it and have no idea if we'll continue with TT through high school.

I feel strongly POSITIVE about the lower levels for some kids.  For some kids (like my 10 yo DD) it is an absolute god-send.  I just hate to see families scared away from it who might really benefit.

Perhaps if Fractions alone is the issue, do TT at whatever area she tests into, but also supplement with either the Fractions portion of MM or use the Key to Fractions series of workbooks to solidify that particular concept (I am using those to solidify my own abilities in math and love it so far).  We have used TT.  The kids love the video explanations, picking their own character that cheers them on, and not being dependent on me for help for every single bit of math (since so much of what we do in other subjects is teacher intensive), and they love being able to look at a video explanation of every problem, in case they got one wrong.  They were eager to get on the computer and do the lesson for quite a while, but we ran into areas where they were getting good grades but not retaining the material, or the material wasn't reviewed enough for retention, or the video explanation wasn't good enough for real understanding.  It is a good program, but we have temporarily stepped away from it.  

Although we have stepped away from it for a bit, I do intend to continue to use TT, but with some modification, and I would recommend those modifications to nearly anyone using this program since some kids DO find they are not solid on material in later grades despite getting great scored with TT all the way through.  It is really hard in 10th grade to realize that your child didn't retain much and now has to do a pile of review to pass standardized tests.  Not everyone has that issue, but I wouldn't risk rolling the dice with my child.....see below: 

1. If you use TT, get the workbook.  They can watch the video, do the problems in the workbook so they are getting the pencil and paper reinforcement, then they can enter the answers in the computer.  If they get one wrong, they can go back to the workbook and try to figure out why they got it wrong, first.  Have them correct it themselves if they can.  Thinking it through on their own, even if it takes time, is better than the answer being fed back to them.  If they can't figure it out, then they can watch the video for that problem to see how to solve it, and you can work with them to make certain they understand how to get the right answer.  Supplement with practice sheets from another source that deals specifically with that type of problem if you feel they still aren't quite mastering the concept.  This tends to help a lot with long term retention.  

2. As with PPs, though, I would also supplement with other things.  Maybe do different types of math games to solidify concepts and keep them fresh (check out soror's post on relaxed math on the General Education board; there are a WEALTH of resources listed there).  Also, supplement with some concept math like MM or Primary Challenge Math or Beast Academy.  The more I teach math and relearn math (since I have apparently forgotten a lot) the more I realize that for real understanding, you need to approach math from several angles.  We just started down this road of supplementing with the above sources and it has been great!

As for where you go after TT, just check other posts.  There are a lot of options.  Just because TT was completed early doesn't mean the child is conceptually ready to tackle even higher math.  A year of review with another program may work incredibly well for solidifying concepts and procedures...  And you may find that your child reaches a point developmentally where they are not yet ready to continue in higher math concepts, with TT or any other program.  That's o.k., too.  Taking a year to review is perfectly fine before moving on when the child is ready.  

Best wishes...

I'm sure there will be mixed answers, but IME, it is pretty far behind.  I used TT 3 and 4 while Rebecca was in CLE 300.  After 200, she tested out of over 2/3 of TT 3.  We went through the rest of it and started TT 4 that same year.  Rebecca was constantly saying that she already knew what TT was teaching her,  so we started skipping through 4 - all while she was in the midst of CLE 300.  It got ridiculous and I sold the TT because we were skipping so much it wasn't worth using.

We had a similar experience. We used it from 5th grade level all the way through Algebra 1. Honestly I wish I had given up on it much sooner. 6th grade is almost an exact repeat of 5th. The "topics" are all covered so if you look at the table of contents, it seems to all be there. But the problems are very simple. "65 out of 100 monkeys surveyed like bananas. What percentage of monkeys like bananas?" And it never really got harder. This was in 6th grade.

Glad to hear that there are success stories out there, truly. But I wish I had listened to some of the warnings and not spent so much time on it.

I'm sure there will be mixed answers, but IME, it is pretty far behind.  I used TT 3 and 4 while Rebecca was in CLE 300.  After 200, she tested out of over 2/3 of TT 3.  We went through the rest of it and started TT 4 that same year.  Rebecca was constantly saying that she already knew what TT was teaching her,  so we started skipping through 4 - all while she was in the midst of CLE 300.  It got ridiculous and I sold the TT because we were skipping so much it wasn't worth using.

You might also just look into supplementing fractions only.

If you did go with TT and she finished it "early", there are plenty of options out there. Personally, I would have her take a standardized test -- a self-scoring practice SAT/ACT would be fine, you don't need formal scores -- to make sure that she's where she's expected to be. If she did very well, she could enroll in university calculus -- if she did moderately well, she might retake precalculus with a more challenging program to ensure an excellent foundation.

2. As with PPs, though, I would also supplement with other things.  Maybe do different types of math games to solidify concepts and keep them fresh (check out soror's post on relaxed math on the General Education board; there are a WEALTH of resources listed there).  Also, supplement with some concept math like MM or Primary Challenge Math or Beast Academy.  The more I teach math and relearn math (since I have apparently forgotten a lot) the more I realize that for real understanding, you need to approach math from several angles.  We just started down this road of supplementing with the above sources and it has been great!

I've found it really helpful to combine Miquon with TT for my 10 yo DD.  She really struggles with math, though.  

I think the advice in TWTM is spot on: regardless of the program you use, do spot checks for understanding by pulling math problems from different curricula.

I use Teaching Textbooks with my children.  I have used TT3 and currently using TT4 for two of my children.  I am using TT Pre-algebra with my teen after using TT7.  My girls suck at math but my son is zipping thru the math.  He is TT3 with in a year along with TT4.  He will be done by end of February.  I have some of the Life of Fred books that everyone uses and I have some Mind Bender books too.  I even downloaded a few e-books from Currclick.com on subjects like measurements and another was word problems with everyday happenings.  Before Teaching Textbooks I used Math-U-See and my husband didn't like us using Mastery, on test scores my oldest was always behind.  Now that we switched to a spiral she is on level for math in her yearly testing.  I plan on using TT next year with everyone.  So far no public school person or administration has asked what curriculum I use. I haven't looked too much for High School so maybe now I have to name it at least on Transcripts but if not I am not going to. 

DD9 is currently doing Abeka 4 Arithmetic and we've been using Abeka for math only sine 1st grade. She's been having some trouble borrowing fractions, etc.

You've gotten a lot of input on TT -- a hot subject on here.

I want to speak to the Abeka 4 side of things. First of all, congrats on getting through Abeka 3. A lot of people jump ship then.  :hurray:  You made it through!

Are you around Lesson 90 (+/- 10 lessons) in Abeka 4? Because around there, my dd#2 went completely mental about the fractions work.  :ohmy:

I pulled out Key to Fractions book 3. (Note that Abeka hadn't taught multiplying & dividing fractions yet at that point and Key to Fractions taught it in Book 2 (because it is EASIER than adding/subtracting fractions), so there are some problems you should cross off, but not many.) It took her about three weeks to work through and it was wonderful. It is very gentle & takes everything step by step, which my dd#2 needed. She was able to start back up with her book and move on without issue.

If you find fractions *in general* are a problem, you might consider getting the whole set of Key to Fractions. They are also available at Rainbow Resources (this set includes the answer key). They used to be available as e-books or with an online tracking program, but I think that went away when the publisher changed. Anyway, Key to Fractions Book 4 covers mixed numbers just as gently.

Now, if Abeka in general isn't working, that's a whole 'nother ball-o'-wax. But if you can just step back, supplement with something inexpensive for a bit, and jump back in, that's what I would do! (If you find yourself doing this a lot, you might want to switch programs. In general, we haven't had that problem.)

I, too, have had friends who regretted using TT once their child tried to do university level math.  They simply didn't have the skills necessary.

I investigated this program for my youngest, because it looked fun and exciting.  He had barely started MM 4A, when we did TT's online assessments.  He easily understood the concepts in TT 7, and almost tested out of it, except for one section that MM hadn't covered yet.  That's when I decided TT was not going to be rigorous enough for us.  MM has served my son well, and I'm glad we've continued with it.

So, ultimately, it depends on your child.  If you feel like she needs a bit of a break, and TT would fit the bill for her, then try it.  But I would supplement with something else as well....Life of Fred or Beast Academy...to make sure she doesn't fall behind.

I'm finishing up TT5 (having completed TT3 & TT4) with my child who has low-functioning autism (4th grade). I've used it as additional review for him, and he likes the computer aspect. That said, we're still using Modern Curriculum Press Level D and MUS Delta as his primary math programs. TT5 is on par difficulty wise with the 4th grade levels of those other 2 programs. I would never use the program with any of my other kids, even the ones I don't consider to be "mathy". I don't feel it explains concepts well, and its teaching really only covers the "how-to-do" it and offers nothing conceptual. It is a very tightly spiraled program, as others have mentioned. I'm going to switch to the Key to Series for him next year for more practice, rather than investing in TT6.

First, don't worry about far in the future.  Worry about right now and what works right now.  The future will work itself out and possibly in a way you never imagined.

Anyway, we used TT with my three older children for a few years through last year.  My oldest son was using TT5 in 5th grade.  I had always heard it was behind, but I don't think that is the case at all.  He entered public school this fall in 6th grade.  The first half of the year of math was no problem because he had covered it in TT5.  Our school district is a very rigorous one and 6th grade math here is quite a bit ahead of 6th grade math in MD where we moved from.  (He's now hit concept that weren't in TT and he's not too happy.)

I can tell you that if you don't keep on top of your kids and look at the problems they are getting wrong, they can get through quite a few lessons doing fine (80%+) but not be getting the new concept *at all.*  You really do have to stay on top of them and make sure they are understanding the new material.  There are only a few problems per lesson and a lot of them are review so it's very possible to get the new stuff all wrong and the old stuff right and pass the lesson.

Behind what is the question. I know people seem to be passionate about TT either way ;) The thing is your dd in Abeka 4 tests into TT 7. My dd who just started MM 4 would easily test into TT 6... That kind of placement seems quite common...at the very least It seems behind those two curricula. Now, does it work for some...I think that is a completely different question. But I think if you are asking is it "behind..." well, it seems behind Abeka and Math Mammoth...

Thanks so much for everyone's replies! It's really giving me a lot to think about. I didn't realize TT was considered a hot subject....I've never looked into it before today.

I want to speak to the Abeka 4 side of things. First of all, congrats on getting through Abeka 3. A lot of people jump ship then.  :hurray:  You made it through!

Are you around Lesson 90 (+/- 10 lessons) in Abeka 4? Because around there, my dd#2 went completely mental about the fractions work.  :ohmy:

I pulled out Key to Fractions book 3. (Note that Abeka hadn't taught multiplying & dividing fractions yet at that point and Key to Fractions taught it in Book 2 (because it is EASIER than adding/subtracting fractions), so there are some problems you should cross off, but not many.) It took her about three weeks to work through and it was wonderful. It is very gentle & takes everything step by step, which my dd#2 needed. She was able to start back up with her book and move on without issue.

If you find fractions *in general* are a problem, you might consider getting the whole set of Key to Fractions. They are also available at Rainbow Resources (this set includes the answer key). They used to be available as e-books or with an online tracking program, but I think that went away when the publisher changed. Anyway, Key to Fractions Book 4 covers mixed numbers just as gently.

Now, if Abeka in general isn't working, that's a whole 'nother ball-o'-wax. But if you can just step back, supplement with something inexpensive for a bit, and jump back in, that's what I would do! (If you find yourself doing this a lot, you might want to switch programs. In general, we haven't had that problem.)

LOL, you are spot on! We've been in the 90's this week. I just don't think she's grasping the fact that a fraction is a part of a whole. And like I said, I'm not that great at math myself.....I struggled with it all through school. So honestly, I hate fractions LOL. She can add and subtract simple fractions, make equal fractions, reduce, change from a mixed number, change from a improper fraction, etc....but I don't think she's understanding WHY she's doing that. Abeka has been working great for us. But I'm wondering about the fact that since I, myself am not that great at higher math, then I may not be explaining it with the best clarity anymore. So I'm not sure if it's the material, the teacher, or both LOL.

I do have the Life of Fred fractions which we haven't read yet. I think I may set aside Abeka and read through that book....see if she grasps anything. If not, I may need to either look into the Key to Fractions book.....or possibly trying TT if I feel that I'm not explaining anything very well from here on out.

If you don't mind some videos, Maria Miller (author of Math Mammoth) has some on fractions, but I personally like to watch (with manipulatives in front of me) the Education Unboxed videos. I personally watch them if I want "another way" of introducing something. It takes some time (that I don't always have!), but helps with the *why* behind some of our "just plug and chug" math. 

(Hilarious - check out Princess in the Dungeon! If you don't have Cuisenaire Rods, some of these videos might be hard to understand. But try them anyway.)

Starting in 7th (Basic Math or Pre-Algebra), Mrs. Howe (of the Abeka DVD videos) is an awesome math teacher. Just sayin'!

I likes LOF fractions, but didn't feel it was that great for an intro for my kids. 

If you find fractions *in general* are a problem, you might consider getting the whole set of Key to Fractions. They are also available at Rainbow Resources (this set includes the answer key). They used to be available as e-books or with an online tracking program, but I think that went away when the publisher changed. Anyway, Key to Fractions Book 4 covers mixed numbers just as gently.

Thanks for the Key to Fractions link. That will help me and 2 of my friends.

Thanks so much for everyone's replies! It's really giving me a lot to think about. I didn't realize TT was considered a hot subject....I've never looked into it before today.

LOL, you are spot on! We've been in the 90's this week. I just don't think she's grasping the fact that a fraction is a part of a whole. And like I said, I'm not that great at math myself.....I struggled with it all through school. So honestly, I hate fractions LOL. She can add and subtract simple fractions, make equal fractions, reduce, change from a mixed number, change from a improper fraction, etc....but I don't think she's understanding WHY she's doing that. Abeka has been working great for us. But I'm wondering about the fact that since I, myself am not that great at higher math, then I may not be explaining it with the best clarity anymore. So I'm not sure if it's the material, the teacher, or both LOL.

I do have the Life of Fred fractions which we haven't read yet. I think I may set aside Abeka and read through that book....see if she grasps anything. If not, I may need to either look into the Key to Fractions book.....or possibly trying TT if I feel that I'm not explaining anything very well from here on out.

if you are also struggling with Fractions, not just your child, you might consider getting Key to Fractions for yourself.  That's what I ended up doing and the kids love that I sit down with my own workbooks to do my school work, too.  In fact, it gets them pumped and they want to get better at fractions themselves so they can help me.  :)  And it really is helping to do those workbooks.  Doesn't take very long, either.  I have forgotten so much, but a lot is coming back with these workbooks.  Last night I actually pulled it out just to do a few pages to relax my mind from everything else floating around in there.  Doing a couple of pages in there genuinely helped me refocus.