Menu

freezing a cake?

Laurie4b

So, every Valentine's Day, I make a heart-shaped cake. It's one layer of chocolate made out of a square pan and 2 halves of a circular pan. The icing is buttercream peppermint.

We will likely not have power on Valentine's Day, but Tradition demands that the cake appear. I have baked it.

Do I freeze it with the icing on? Will that thaw okay? Or should I freeze it with the icing off? Any experience out there?

I put cakes in the freezer (frosting and all) without any covering until frozen.  Then I wrap them up.  When I take out of the freezer I unwrap immediately so the frosting doesn't get all goopy on the wrap. They taste great when we are ready to eat them next.

It works well enough.  We're a small family so far, so we do a lot of cake freezing during the "Halloween-my January birthday" season in order to not waste and not gain 10 pounds.  I think it would be better to freeze without frosting, but I've never just stuck the cake in the freezer and wrapped it after it was frozen, like  PP did.  Gonna have to try that next time.

I freeze strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting.  It hasn't ever broke down on me.  

Also, when i put a cake in the freezer to harden..i just put the whole cake server with lid in there.  Maybe that keeps off some crystals. I usually just do it overnight.

My mom has baked cakes for years and years for weddings, showers, birthdays, etc., (she only does special order), and she always bakes the cake a few days before the event and freezes it (she levels it first, then wraps it in plastic).  On the day of the event, or the day before, she ices it, and she does so while the cake is still frozen, as the icing helps keep the moisture in the cakes.  I have to say, she makes the best cakes, and they are never, ever dry.  She learned from my aunt, who used to run a wedding cake shop, and my aunt always froze hers and iced them while still frozen.  Depending on how large the cake was, my aunt would start baking a week or two ahead of time.  For my wedding, my mom baked the cakes almost a month ahead of time and froze them (because there was so much to do!), and then iced them the day before.  The bottom layer of our cake was so big, she had to use one of the professional ovens at the KC hall (where we had our reception), because the pan didn't fit inside a regular oven.  She'd had an order for a cake a year or so earlier that required that pan, and she decided to use it again for our cake.  We had 5 layers (including the topper), and there was almost no cake left over, because it was so good.  When we ate the topper a year later, it was still delicious, but the icing tasted funny after being frozen.  I don't recommend freezing icing.

If I'm baking ahead of time I usually freeze the cake(s)/layers separately.  I also usually frost them while they are still frozen and then just allow them to thaw on the counter in the pantry or in the refrigerator depending on what I used to frost with. The valentine cake idea sounds cute and it is always nice to have some family traditions.  Kudos to you for planning ahead and hopefully you will be surprised with a Valentine's gift of heat and electricity.