Menu

What to do with WB-loving child?

I can't believe I even have this problem!  DD 6.5yo just started R&S Spelling book (at her request since DD7.5 uses it) and she has CRIED every day that she doesn't get to use it.  (I don't want to work too fast, and I'm not even really sold on a separate spelling book for my DDs since they are great spellers.)  Other than their Singapore Math WBs -which they also LOVE - we just don't have very many WBs around here.  For a few reasons: I hate them; they are expensive; I don't want them to lose their appeal since I do rely on them for some things (math practice for instance).  Hmmm… what do I do with this WB-loving child?

Hmmm… what do I do with this WB-loving child?

Give her workbooks!

Mine are the same way. I think they just like writing in books, lol.

I think that workbooks are only 'bad' when the child can't stand them. If a child enjoys them, they can definitely learn from them. Oh, and workbook loving children don't usually get tired of them. They don't lose their appeal, so to speak. I still like workbooks, and I'm in my thirties *gasp*

Give her workbooks!

I think that workbooks are only 'bad' when the child can't stand them. If a child enjoys them, they can definitely learn from them. Oh, and workbook loving children don't usually get tired of them. They don't lose their appeal, so to speak. I still like workbooks, and I'm in my thirties *gasp*

:lol: Me too! Oh, and FORMS! I used to beg my mother to let me fill out my own school forms. All those little blanks just waiting to be filled! *sigh*

How weird am I?

Seriously, I also recommend CLE LightUnits. We use them for math, and dd enjoys them (although I don't think she shares my love of filling in the blanks). And they're VERY reasonably priced! You could also search online for free printable worksheets to supplement with, if you don't want to change your curriculum.

I had a thing for forms, too!!!  I still get sort of jazzed about them, to be honest, which is convenient.  I'd just give her workbooks.....I wouldn't stop reading aloud or having her read real books and discuss things, but there are many things you can use workbooks for profitably. 

Kumon workbooks are the best thing ever.

My DD is a workbook princess, lol. She loves her Kumon books. They run about $7-10 apiece, so no bank breaking there.

Amazon also has a lot of other workbook options, as well as a ton of cool coloring books. We purchased "Fairies, Elves and Trolls" and "Fairies to Paint and Color", as well as the lovely "Goddesses" coloring book when we did SotW last year. DD and I loved them. (There may be some slightly inappropriate things in there for some, it wasn't an issue for us.)

The "Brain Games" books have also been great for us. I checked them out of the library, made use of my scanner at home, and made some "workbooks" (I call them "books of quiet games") for my older kids. Some worksheets can be made reusable by slipping the pages in page protectors and letting your kids do the exercises or games with dry erase markers. :D

Give her workbooks!

This is what I was afraid of.  We do utilize WBs for some handwriting practice and math practice.  I don't want her to grow resistant to those.  

Thanks!!

:lol: Me too! Oh, and FORMS! I used to beg my mother to let me fill out my own school forms. All those little blanks just waiting to be filled! *sigh*

How weird am I?

Seriously, I also recommend CLE LightUnits. We use them for math, and dd enjoys them (although I don't think she shares my love of filling in the blanks). And they're VERY reasonably priced! You could also search online for free printable worksheets to supplement with, if you don't want to change your curriculum.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am pretty happy with the curriculum (however little, she is only 6) that we are currently using.  I may print up/use some WBs as her "extra" after she's done her small amount of "required" lessons each day.  We'll both benefit from the motivation!  Thank you!

Kumon workbooks are the best thing ever.

My DD is a workbook princess, lol. She loves her Kumon books. They run about $7-10 apiece, so no bank breaking there.

Amazon also has a lot of other workbook options, as well as a ton of cool coloring books. We purchased "Fairies, Elves and Trolls" and "Fairies to Paint and Color", as well as the lovely "Goddesses" coloring book when we did SotW last year. DD and I loved them. (There may be some slightly inappropriate things in there for some, it wasn't an issue for us.)

The "Brain Games" books have also been great for us. I checked them out of the library, made use of my scanner at home, and made some "workbooks" (I call them "books of quiet games") for my older kids. Some worksheets can be made reusable by slipping the pages in page protectors and letting your kids do the exercises or games with dry erase markers. :D

These look great!  We have just started SOTW vol 2.  Do you have resources for extra coloring for that volume?  Just curious.  When I was promising DD (just now in fact) that I am indeed looking for more "school books" for her she said she would also be satisfied to color.  :laugh:

Get her some workbooks. :lol: A few ideas:

R&S Spelling, ETC, Kumon, R&S GHI series(if it isn't too young for her), Logic or puzzle type workbooks, and Pentime.

I love the R&S pre-k and spelling books.  (Actually, it's the spelling books that started this whole love affair with workbooks for her. :lol: )  I was wondering about ETC…  I know she doesn't need any phonics practice…but I will look at them since they are available locally.  Also, the Kumon books - where do you think it's best to buy these books?  (Best price, that is.)  I may be able to peruse some of these locally at Mardel.  Yay!

I loved workbooks as a child and their appeal has never lessened. My first daughter appears to love them as much as me, and dh does too. As long as you don't pick ultra boring ones I doubt losing interest in workbooks will be an issue ( losing interest in math on the other hand... Lol)

We use way more workbooks than many people here because they just work for us, but I am also very very selective about the ones I buy because I do not like busywork and refuse to give even a young child a workbook which offers no challenge or skill building to her.

I like the kumon workbooks but the first steps books may be getting a bit on the easy side, check the skill levels.

I also like critical thinking company. Their books are pricy because they are completely reproducible, so I cut the spines off and put them in binders to photocopy as desired. Whether this is worthwhile for you depends on if they will be used by more than one child. One from there series I would highly recommend is thinker doodles, sounds like your daughter would love it, and these days they have lots of books for subject areas other than critical thinking, my daughter loves their mathematical reasoning books, though they are VERY spiral.

Two plus two is not five is a good one if she is ready to memorize addition subtraction math facts

As for where to buy, I just shop at rainbow resources, the prices are usually among the cheapest and they have both kumon and critical thinking. Book depository also has kumon books and some ctc

Give her workbooks and puzzle books if she'll go for them. Crosswords, word search, sudoku, mazes--whatever.

I find that they are available cheap at the dollar store. You can get one with 100+ puzzles for a buck. At 1cent a puzzle, thats a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am pretty happy with the curriculum (however little, she is only 6) that we are currently using.  I may print up/use some WBs as her "extra" after she's done her small amount of "required" lessons each day.  We'll both benefit from the motivation!  Thank you!

There's tons of stuff on Pinterest, just search free printable worksheets. She might also like to use them to "teach" her dolls or stuffed animals what she's learning (which is also great practice). My baby sister used to hoard all manner of castoff teacher supplies and hold court (ahem, I mean school) over her dolls for hours.

The puzzle books and other suggestions are great, too.

IMO, if a kid is asking to do *more* work, I'd find it hard to say no!

I love the R&S pre-k and spelling books.  (Actually, it's the spelling books that started this whole love affair with workbooks for her. :lol: )  I was wondering about ETC…  I know she doesn't need any phonics practice…but I will look at them since they are available locally.  Also, the Kumon books - where do you think it's best to buy these books?  (Best price, that is.)  I may be able to peruse some of these locally at Mardel.  Yay!

My older dd loves Workbooks too. She doesn't need Phonics practice anymore really but loves doing the ETC books so I'm still getting them for her. She does them almost completely independently. As far as Kumon Costco usually gets them once a year and has the best price I have seen. You might try Amazon as well.

I feel your pain. Two of my boys used one Ace workbook  for one unit study, just to make sure they got the basics and they LOVE them! They asked, repeatedly if they could keep using them. So, I bought them for science. They really love them and retain what they learn so there's no reason not to just because "l" would rather gouge my eyes out.

For SotW 2, we used the "Life in a Medieval Castle and Village" coloring book. It is ok, in my opinion. We didn't like it as much as we liked the "Goddesses" and "Fairies" books.

I enjoyed the "Medieval Tapestries" coloring book, but it was a bit much for DD. "Norse Gods and Goddesses" looks like it would be fun too. Wish I would have seen it while we were in the midst of Viking fever, lol.

I think I might purchase "Scenes from Shakespeare" for next year. And maybe this "Kings and Queens of England" one as well.

"Angels" looks like it might be a good aside as well.

And if you really want to go for broke and make your little girl squeal with glee, buy a crayon tower to go along with it. I bought ours last year and it is still going strong. DD and I keep it away from the boys, lol. That and good set of Prangs makes a coloring fiend quite content. :D

There's tons of stuff on Pinterest, just search free printable worksheets. She might also like to use them to "teach" her dolls or stuffed animals what she's learning (which is also great practice). My baby sister used to hoard all manner of castoff teacher supplies and hold court (ahem, I mean school) over her dolls for hours.

The puzzle books and other suggestions are great, too.

IMO, if a kid is asking to do *more* work, I'd find it hard to say no!

I'm terrified to go near Pinterest (of which I may never return) but thank you for the referral. ;)  Yep, she and her sister have requested their old SM WBs to teach their "kids" & "animals".  Hysterical!

My daughter is 3rd grade and it's taken me this long to come to grip with the fact that she is a workbook kinda girl. Soooo not me. I spent a fortune on a wonderful, hands-on full curriculum at the beginning of this year and all it produced was tears. I finally accepted that she wants workbooks for ALL subjects, and now we have very happy, tear-free school days.

She is my last child and I feel a bit cheated, but it's working, she is learning tons and that is my end goal of homeschooling. So I'm dealing with it.

We started our homeschool journey with workbooks (LifePac) and then went to Sonlight because she consumes books. After 2.5 years of less workbooks, I'm finding that she communicates better they writing than through discussing something "on the fly". I'm bringing in stronger vocabulary, language arts, writing, poems, Latin, SOTW Activity Guides and more Art for Geography. It just fits her best. We will stay with Sonlight but will be more eclectic from now on.

I think it makes them feel special and like they have their own book. I was trying to avoid workbooks for the longest time, but I think the problem with me showing up with various papers and activities and books is that they don't feel like they are theirs -- they feel like they are mine. I honestly think ownership is very appealing. And yes, mine like to fill out forms. Magazine subscription forms, tax forms, whatever. I have had a reality check this year that they do like workbooks.

I think it makes them feel special and like they have their own book. I was trying to avoid workbooks for the longest time, but I think the problem with me showing up with various papers and activities and books is that they don't feel like they are theirs -- they feel like they are mine. I honestly think ownership is very appealing. And yes, mine like to fill out forms. Magazine subscription forms, tax forms, whatever. I have had a reality check this year that they do like workbooks.

Yes, this is what it is for my girls, I think.  I have actually started to "notebook" some in SOTW (DD2 just has coloring pages pretty much) and they love that it has their own name on it - the cover of the binder, that is - and I will let them keep it. :D  She's excited that it's HERS.  Thanks for putting that into words for me!

I may have a problem…  some of these workbooks (and especially the coloring books) ALL of my kids would want to do, but especially my DDs - and they'd want the SAME ones.  I can see this really adding up.  I may have to use some free stuff, and get the others as "extra".  â€¦remembering why I dislike workbooks... :glare:

ETA: I know they're not expensive… but I would need 2-3 of each for this crowd…  

I just wanted to add that as they age Notebooking can really take the place of workbooks. My older dd was a workbook lover and she still is some but now that she keeps a science and history notebook she doesn't want them as much. We start science and history notebooking around 7-8 so the workbooks are only used for a couple of years. :)