Menu

Ice Skating---any good movies for kids/teens?

Ottakee

My 18dd with special needs has just taken up ice skating.  She is LOVING it.  I was just wondering if there were any kids/family friendly movies on ice skating that we might be able to watch this weekend when it is just her and I here at home.

Netflix streaming would be ideal but I think we can do amazon streaming or hit the video store as well.

Ice Castles - it's really old, but I loved it as a teen! 

I was going to say this one, too! I saw it in a movie theater as a pre-teen (a very rare treat for me at the time, so I remember it well). I think they did a more modern re-make a few years ago, too. Not sure how good it was.

Miracle is about the 1980 Winter Olympics, where the US defeated the Soviet Union in men's hockey. Not sure if hockey would be of interest, but I enjoyed the movie, even as someone with no interest in hockey in general. And it's timely!

lots of late 70's nostalgia if you're quick.  it is a very good movie.  it also has blurbs at the end of what each player went on to do.

I found this list of eight skating movies.

"Snowden on Ice" - A Holiday Ice Skating Video
snowden02.jpgPhoto Courtesy of "A Kind of Magic"

In "Snowden on Ice," Olympic figure skaters Ekaterina Gordeeva and Kurt Browning skate in a beautiful and heartwarming ice skating tale.

The narrator is the pond's aging caretaker, "Scootch" (Scott Hamilton). "The Zamboni Man" song introduces Scootch. He drives the Zamboni and talks about how the town was named after Grandpa Albert, a champion skater. Grandpa Albert built his home right on the pond's edge and taught his grand-daughter, Kate, how to skate.

The story begins as Kate (Ekaterina Gordeeva) and daughter Lizzie (Dana Grinkov) return to Albert's Pond. Kate is returning to Albert's Pond with her daughter, Lizzie, after her husband has died.

Kate takes to the ice again with Lizzie and a beautiful and heartwarming story unfolds

I've no idea of the quality, but it has ekaterina gordeeva (2x gold medalist in pairs) and her daughter.  (if you can find youtube of gordeeva and grinkov - it's worth it.  he could really toss her high. they won every competition they entered.)  kind of parallels her life, as grinkov died very suddently, leaving her a widow with a young daughter, and a pair skater with no partner.

The Skating Rink (1975)

This story features a boy lacking self-confidence due to the fact that he stutters. A former figure skating star decides to transform a local abandoned factory into a skating rink and offers the boy a chance to skate and receive free instruction. He does learn to skate and beomes really good. He surprises his family with a pair skating performance with the rink owner's young wife at the rink's opening night. He then gets a job teaching skating and beomes confident and happy.

Cutting Edge is great, but it does have a little implied adult activity. No nudity. PG rated. It's one of those movies I have to watch if I flip past it, no matter where in the movie it is. "Toe pick!"

Ice Princess is a cheesy cute G-rated movie. Joan Cusack is the main character's mom, and Kim Cattrall is the coach.