Menu

rabbit trails....

Halcyon

How do you all follow these but still get your scheduled stuff done for the year? We are having a blast reading the Scientist in the Field series and talking about them, watching some related videos...and then POOF-three hours have passed and we haven't touched Math or Latin or anything else. I can do this for a day or so but more than that I start to get a bit worrried.

How do you all handle rabbit trails and learn to ENJOY your learning experiences as they come up, yet still stay on track to complete what you want to complete in any given year?

Well, we do lots of rabbit trails, but we do them after the regular book work is done.  DD12 starts the day with math and literature, then music practice, then history, science and rabbit trails, lol.  It's a habit we've built up over time because I work from home in the mornings.  Her desk is right next ot mine so I'm handy for questions or what not, but not really available to watch movies or build cardboard buildings.  Once I finish my four hours of work and she finishes her regular school subjects, we have lots of time left to figure out why cats purr or how tall the Parthenon really was.

Forge a new path. I'd be hard pressed to find a year where my plans didn't change drastically. I still plan because that's the nature of who I am, but I love the rabbit trails. 

We tend to do the on task items earlier in the day, languages and math, then those subjects that I know will diverge, we save those until the end.