Menu

Homeschooling on the Road--Advice?

Needed-some organizational/planning inspiration:

We have the opportunity to have a few vacations in the next couple months. They might last a week or 3 weeks both with and without internet connections. We need a plan equally portable for car or plane. Unfortunately, we can't just stop and rest. I know we can't take everything with us but...

What would you do?:confused:

First, books. This doesn't work "in the car" for some of my kids due to motion sickness, however.

Second, we use SOTW so audio history would definitely be an option. The car has a CD player and a year or two ago I bought cheap (as in $5-10) CD players with headphones at Walmart for my kids. I would consider bringing the audio CDs (in a little CD wallet) for them to listen to.

Third, we use car travel time for things like skip-counting, reciting (days of the week, months of the year, etc.), and listening to music CDs (i.e. Beethoven's Wig or Classical Kids).

Fourth, we have some Magic School Bus DVDs and a portable DVD player. Our DVD player could only be used in the car (due to the type of player it is and the jack it requires for power).

So, there you have it: reading, history, math, music, and science. I suppose we could toss in spelling workbooks, too, and some writing utensils as well as some colored pencils and a sketch pad and call those spelling and art...

On our recent trip one of my dc needed to continue his speech therapy "homework." At this point it is the L sound. Instead of bringing along his binder, I suggested that whenever he saw a sign with an "L" in it that he practice the "L" sound (in the context of the word). He made tremendous progress in the two weeks we were away.

Anyone home school while moving? Any tips?

Since we will be taking the time to move (3 wks) then unpacking and settling in I'm not sure how to do this w/o getting behind.

I am thinking about making copies of all the lessons we will be doing for a few months (instead of taking all the books) and making a notebook for each child. Is this too ambitious? We will have limited space in the car, so I don't want to take 20+ books.

Audiobooks, lots of audiobooks. When we did our cross-country move two years ago, we did CDs and CD players. Then, when we started having to travel by plane a lot, we got the tiny iPods (no screens). SOTW audio CDs would be great in this context. We also use Flashmaster a lot in contexts like this, as well as Latin review cards. I do often have them bring a book or two in their backpacks as well.

See my other response to this thread for general strategies. In addition, this last move was with professional movers, so I tried to keep school going as much as possible up until we left. I was glad of this, because I found that I needed the time the most at the other end--afterwards. Even so, I kept one box of schoolbooks with us in the van so it wasn't lost in the general furor.

Maybe you could make photocopies of just the math and grammar lessons, or something. I would blanch at making copies of all the schoolbooks for months.

Anyone home school while moving? Any tips?

Since we will be taking the time to move (3 wks) then unpacking and settling in I'm not sure how to do this w/o getting behind.

I am thinking about making copies of all the lessons we will be doing for a few months (instead of taking all the books) and making a notebook for each child. Is this too ambitious? We will have limited space in the car, so I don't want to take 20+ books.

Umm in my recent experience, no. I just had them read, play with leap pad(semi educational) look at various scenery we saw from I-80 and explain them. We also listen to Bible read as stories.(really well done). For the rest we just lost the time and have made it up over the summer. Moving was too stressful to try to seriously educate at the same time. I am just being honest about my experience. HTH:001_smile:

I used to use more focused studies for those weeks. For example, science happened to be more portable for us last year than history, so we would do all science while travelling, and do all history for a few weeks when we got back.

I would also do easier versions of things like art: rather than taking the whole caboodle, I'd just take some pages from the anti-colouring books for them to do.

FWIW I would take as much (for two kids) as would fit in a single, small rollaboard-style case.

Have fun,

Laura

Needed-some organizational/planning inspiration:

We have the opportunity to have a few vacations in the next couple months. They might last a week or 3 weeks both with and without internet connections. We need a plan equally portable for car or plane. Unfortunately, we can't just stop and rest. I know we can't take everything with us but...

What would you do?:confused:

We homeschooled my son for a year or so while Sweetie and I were driving truck. It was *AWESOME*! Fortunately, we were using Calvert, so it wasn't an issue taking everything with us -- it all fit into one box. :)

We began our homeschool experience by traveling for a month in Britain when my son was in 7th grade. Our days were filled with visits to museums, theater, hiking, etc., but I still gave some assignments: grammar work, writing and math. I brought some workbook type pages (punctuation, sentence retooling) and had my son write in his journal daily. He also had to send postcards to friends, grandma and grandpa, etc. For math, I again had some worksheets that I wrote with an extensive review of previous work. I also made sure that he would do currency conversions, kilometer to miles, etc.

Some lessons came up unexpectedly. I had him determine routes on the London tube and find the correct platforms. (He really impressed me with this. If one platform was too crowded, he would have an alternate path already mapped out to take!)

Some museums have wonderful educational materials that are free or nominal in cost. At others I would have him sketch a piece or he did rubbings in churches. We found free lunch time concerts to attend.

Worksheets and novels were great on days in transit. Otherwise there was too much to do!

Bon voyage,

Jane