Menu

Doing the Teaching Company "Happy Dance"

My latest TC acquisition is a new course I was hoping they would put out: Foundations of Eastern Civilization. There are still some gaps in TC's offering for the Eastern Hemisphere, but this goes a long way in rectifying that situation!

I don't want to teach; I just want to watch. :D

Oh drat. I was so sure I didn't need anymore TC sets.

I finally bought my first ever Great Courses course and am thrilled, even though we haven't watched it yet. I'll have to check out the Eastern Civilizations one. By the way, Sonlight's Core 5/E (Eastern Hemisphere) is great for material on this topic. Not fond of it as a spine but great for resource material!

I just got the Eastern one, too! There is also a brand new one on Barbarian Empires of the Steppes (Kenneth Harl!), which DS is getting for his birthday in a few weeks, along with some new Mongolian language books. I'm still waiting for a good world geography one, though!

For any fence-sitters, there's a Priority Code for free shipping floating around: 89999 <evil grin>

Aw man, I almost bought this! It does look so great.  Have you started watching it yet? I'd love to hear what you think!

I just finished the second lecture and am happy to report that I am fairly pleased so far. The lecturer is Australian, enthusiastic, and does a delightful job with his Chinese pronunciation (as best I can tell). I buy most of my Great Courses in audio format, but this time I got the video and due to the wealth of images, I am glad I did. Dh and I were in Beijing right before the Olympics and actually seeing the countryside wiped out so many of my stereotypical images about what China would look like. The second lecture is on China's geography and some of the landscape was truly stunning. Which reminds me, Great Courses used to have a blurb on each course that stated how many images were on a lecture series and I haven't been able to find them for a while. Does anybody know if they are still on there and just a bit buried or are they gone. They were helpful in deciding which format to get.

Dr. Benjamin confines his discussion of Eastern Civilization to China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia, basically because he sees China as the "cultural giant of the East." So I think it is not the intent to slight say, India, but that China's influence is far-flung and long-lived.

I may be rethinking some of ds's second semester. I would really love him to have a better understanding of this area of the world. My dh and his five siblings grew up as a missionary family in Japan, but my MIL spent time in China as a child as did my dh's uncle.

Another thing to like about this series is the professor promises to talk about the great literature as well.

Oh drat. I was so sure I didn't need anymore TC sets.

I am kind of at that point, except I would like to add the American history set and the American literature set to our collection. Other than that, I thought I was happy until I saw the new Eastern set.

However, I could probably be tempted with their "Touring" sets. I could watch travel films to the "cows come home."

I finally bought my first ever Great Courses course and am thrilled, even though we haven't watched it yet. I'll have to check out the Eastern Civilizations one. By the way, Sonlight's Core 5/E (Eastern Hemisphere) is great for material on this topic. Not fond of it as a spine but great for resource material!

So which course did you get, if you don't mind my asking? :D   Have your finished with Core 5 or are you in the process of going through it. We did that for fifth grade and really enjoyed it once we dumped the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer.

What format do ya'll usually get these in? Just wondering what is the best way to get these. Thanks!

I usually get the DVDs because DS focuses better if he's watching as well as listening, but we do have some (like the Vandiver lectures) as audio downloads. If you prefer the audio format, they are now available on Audible.com, and they are MUCH cheaper that way; depending on the plan you sign up for, the courses would be around $10-15 each (and that includes the really long ones!).

I usually get the DVDs because DS focuses better if he's watching as well as listening, but we do have some (like the Vandiver lectures) as audio downloads. If you prefer the audio format, they are now available on Audible.com, and they are MUCH cheaper that way; depending on the plan you sign up for, the courses would be around $10-15 each (and that includes the really long ones!).

To add to that, Audible frequently runs specials where you get 2 free titles, so I have gotten 3 TC courses I had been drooling over for $12 total.