Menu

extremely dry skin fixes?

Mandylubug

I have horribly dry skin. I drink tons of water and I have used many products.

My main complaint is that even after I lotion or use a body oil, or even coconut oil, my skin won't feel dry but I will really itch and burn still. I especially notice it when I'm in bed and trying to sleep. Then itching annoys me and I have difficulty sleeping. My skin will even feel oily and still itch like super dry. By morning, it is dry to touch and if I'm wearing a dark shirt, it will be covered in dry skin cells. Yucky.

there are no visible rough patches or rashes, either. I feel it mainly on my back and stomach. Legs and arms can be visibly dry but they don't itch me.

Any recommendations? I've tried no perfumes and dyes, different soaps amd detergent with no relief. The only time I have relief is if I skip baths or showering for a day. I suppose it is my body oils assisting. I run a lot so I can't always space out my showering either.

I have very dry skin and I itch all winter. It gets particularly bad around my waist if clothes are touching me there. I find that showering is the worst because hot water is drying to the skin. So, keeping showers short helps as does using glycerine soap. Oils have never helped me but lotions in a tub do. The thicker, the better. Nivea in a tub is great. (They sell a generic at walmart that my doctor recommended for ds's eczema. It has no perfumes so it doesn't smell that great but it works.) Another one to look at is Atopalm mle.

Use an oil based cleanser

Take cooler showers

Take less showers, maybe by doing a quick sponge bath instead.

Put oil or lotion on while skin is still damp, and reapply after about 10 minutes when the first round has fully absorbed.

Use an antihistamine to help with itchy skin, such as benedryl

Use a histamine 2 blocker such as Zantac for itchy skin (recommended to me several times by doctors, helps with chronic hives as well)

Use something thick like lanolin or a beeswax lotion bar at night time, it has staying power and doesn't all rub off by morning. Giving skin a chance to heal up.

Eat more healthy fats.

Stay hydrated.

Are you applying the lotions and oils to dry skin? If so, that might explain why you can feel oily but still itch. Many products are designed (or at least best-utilized) to HOLD IN moisture - meaning, they'll work best if applied to damp skin.

If that's not it, I hope you find some kind of relief soon! The humidifier is a great idea.

check your diet.  salt and sugar absorb water that your body then cannot use.  processed foods hide many things.  there are other things regarding the state of your overall health as well.

the only lotion i've found actually works for me on a few uber dry patches is cetaphil.  

Use an oil based cleanser

Take cooler showers

Take less showers, maybe by doing a quick sponge bath instead.

Put oil or lotion on while skin is still damp, and reapply after about 10 minutes when the first round has fully absorbed.

Use an antihistamine to help with itchy skin, such as benedryl

Use a histamine 2 blocker such as Zantac for itchy skin (recommended to me several times by doctors, helps with chronic hives as well)

Use something thick like lanolin or a beeswax lotion bar at night time, it has staying power and doesn't all rub off by morning. Giving skin a chance to heal up.

Eat more healthy fats.

Stay hydrated.

I have the same problem and am starting to take fish oil orally to see if that helps.

I can't speak to the antihistamines, but highly agree with everything else. In the winter, I have a hard time drinking enough water because I am not thirsty if I feel slightly cool. Drinking herbal teas, warm lemonade (a tsp of honey and a tsp or 2 of fresh squeezed lemon juice in a mug of hot water), or just plain heated water, make it much easier to stay hydrated.

During a time of acute itching, applying an ice pack to the affected area helps more than just about anything I have tried.

ETA I reread the op and see that you are already drinking a lot of water. I would definitely see about adding Omega 3 fats to your diet. Also, how about showering without soap or with an oil cleanser as suggested above? Greatly reducing the amount of detergent used with laundry would be worth a try. Or substitute baking soda for detergent. Won't have the same whitening and brightening effect, but will get the clothes clean enough to be hygienic.

Use Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash to shower instead of soap.  Keep your shower lukewarm and very quick.  Do not rub dry with a towel - pat dry and air dry the rest of the way.  Put on a thick moisturizing cream while you are still damp.  You may even try the Vaseline with cocoa butter.