Menu

Probiotic recommendations?

Wabi Sabi

My dh has been in the hospital since Christmas Eve and hopefully will be coming home tomorrow. Since being there he's had a major surgery and has been on multiple very strong IV antibiotics for his entire stay. I'd like to pick up some probiotics for him to start taking once he's home. Any suggestions? I've already stocked the fridge with yogurt and kefir...

I use Jarrodophilus - the problem is that if he is going to be on IV antibiotics, the antibiotics will also kill the good bacteria in the probiotics. So, it is recommended that anyone taking antibiotics also take a probiotic yeast so that the antibiotics will not affect it and the patient gets a full dose of antibiotics.

I use the probiotic yeast saccharomyces boulardii from Jarrow in addition to another probiotic from Jarrow that has many strains of good bacteria. You can find all of them on amazon if you cannot find it locally. And Kefir is great - the lifesource brand is what I drin and it has upto 12 strains of good bacteris.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/265/Saccharomyces_Boulardii_MOS

I use Jarrodophilus - the problem is that if he is going to be on IV antibiotics, the antibiotics will also kill the good bacteria in the probiotics. So, it is recommended that anyone taking antibiotics also take a probiotic yeast so that the antibiotics will not affect it and the patient gets a full dose of antibiotics.

I use the probiotic yeast saccharomyces boulardii from Jarrow in addition to another probiotic from Jarrow that has many strains of good bacteria. You can find all of them on amazon if you cannot find it locally. And Kefir is great - the lifesource brand is what I drin and it has upto 12 strains of good bacteris.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/265/Saccharomyces_Boulardii_MOS

They dc'd the antibiotics yesterday, and he won't come home on any additional antibiotics.

And yes, Lifesource is the brand that my store carried.

I got C.diff. after antibiotics. The Rx for the C.diff. worked for awhile, but symptoms returned.  :( After some research, I started using Floragen 3, rather than another round of Rx. The symptoms cleared up pretty quickly, but returned if I tried to go off the F3. I continued Floragen for several months and was then back to normal.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Best wishes.

I really like Florastor if you can find it. Antibiotics can't kill it and it's good with yeast as well as bacterial control.

Culturelle is a good one for post antibiotic use. It's good, as is Florastor, with even the really nasty things like c. diff. If he's still taking an oral antibiotic when he comes home, you'll need to do the Culturelle at least 3 hours away from every dose. Assume the antibiotic kills off it and any other probiotic containing pills or foods he eats. The exception is Florastor, which won't be killed because it's a beneficial yeast probiotic rather than a bacterial probiotic.

If he comes home with something already, you'll likely need to kill it in my experience. It's easier to prevent than to fight something bad off.