Menu

What book/teachers guide helped you become a better math teacher?

4maybabies

I'm looking for something to help ME teach the concepts to my kids, not necessarily a curriculum. So, what book or manual explains concepts to the teacher in a way that I can help teach my kids? I can handle the primary grades, but when it comes to 5th & 6th grade math, and beyond,  I feel I need more ideas on how to teach my kids.

I found the Rod & Staff upper-level math books to be excellent at walking me as the teacher through explaining the concepts.

ETA: I know you said you weren't looking for a curriculum, but I keep these on hand to refer to even if I am using a different curriculum; I like the explanations that much.

Singapore has some teaching books that are good, but you'll want to get them used (Elementary Mathematics for Teachers). One is more about math and one more about geometry. I don't have the geometry one yet. Just doing Singapore with the HIG has been a huge help to me also--as soon as I started working with it, I thought, "this is how I wish I had been taught math."

The educationunboxed.com videos have really helped me. Oh I wish there was an equivalent of her videos for every subject!

:iagree: This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I just didn't know if the videos were relevant to the ages the OP mentioned, but I agree that Education Unboxed has helped me a LOT with teaching my kids.