Menu

Hiring a housekeeper...what do I need to know?

Excelsior! Academy

My parents had a housekeeper who came in, I believe, weekly and for events.

Clean the clutter (put away toys, books, etc) - she needs to be able to clean the floors, tables, counters, and so on.

Ours didn't do laundry and she didn't clean the fridge, if I recall (I believe she would fold laundry, but not put it away or wash it).

Keep in mind...the less clutter they have to pick up or work around, the more time spend actually cleaning,  I always have everything put away and rugs picked up for my cleaner.  My best friend has a house with 7 kiddos.  She has some clutter put away, the rest she let's cleaners pick up and put in one basket upstairs and one downstairs.  This way things don't get out in wrong places (never to found again), and they don't spend too much time picking up.  Some will change sheets on beds.  I don't do this.  My friend does.  We use same service.  When I had cleaners coming bi-weekly, it was for a standard cleaning.  When I changed to monthly, I changed my service to a deep clean.  It was more thorough but not as often.  A deep clean monthly was cheaper than the bi-weekly service.  I have yet to find a service that does a "perfect" job.  I've learned to lower my expectations and make sure they know the top 3-5 must-be-perfects (for me: floors, showers/baths, stove top).

Agree about the clutter. People laugh that we clean for the maids, but it's not cleaning, it's just picking up.

Ours do bed linens if we leave them out.

We have weekly cleanings (major allergies) and our maids do some extras. Think about what you'd like, and when they come out for a consult - discuss it. Ours use leather conditioner on the couches and vacuum under the cushions each week. I think that might be considered extra by many, but they don't charge us extra for it.

It's liberating. Enjoy it.

As a house cleaner  make sure the house is picked up.  Let the house cleaner know exactly what you want done. Most people tell me just do what you feel like. I don't like hearing that because I feel I am working for that person and want to please them. Also sometimes I miss something that is important to them not realizing that it is considered general cleaning.  A written  list the first time  would be awesome.

It is easier for her schedule if you have a standing appointment the same every month. For example the last Tuesday of every month at 9.00. If you want her to do extra one week call in advance so she can schedule the extra time for you.  Don't give her a hour extra work and tell her you want it to take the same amount of time as usual. I am sure you would not do that just threw it in because I have had it done to me on several occasions.

Otherwise there is not much to it.  Don't feel rude if you are not there talking to her. A little chit chat is nice but a lengthy conversation just slows her down.  I don't mind if people are there when I am cleaning but it is annoying when I have to choose between leaving on time and skimping on the cleaning or staying half an hour longer because someone kept talking to me the whole time.

When I first started having someone come in to clean, I stayed home. Out of the way, but still home. I'd work in my office or something. The first few times, K had some questions about how we wanted things done. It also gave me the opportunity to know who I was inviting into my house. Now that she's been a part of our lives for nearly two years, I don't worry about leaving jewelry or dollars around (forgetting or something). I KNOW her morals now. That helps me relax a lot.

These days I prefer to scram while she is here. She can work without distraction and I get to come home to a fresh clean home.

And, yes, we pick up a lot before she comes. Actually I consider that accountability to be a part of her services. :)

Make sure you have a tax ID # so you can file unemployment insurance. The. Maid's FICA taxes you can pay on your yearly federal income tax form! but the unemployment tax must be sent in quarterly.

Talk to your homeowner's insurance agent and make sure you are adequately covered for liability and theft.

Make an actual list of your expectations and give this to the housekeeper. She can give you feedback and pricing at the same time.

Honestly, housekeepers were more of a pain to me than what I got in return. I now make sure my house is under 4000 sq. ft. Which is the maximum I can take care of on my own.