Menu

Help with a puppy name :)

ChristusG

We need help naming our new puppy! We get to bring him home in about 3.5 weeks. It's a little black male lhasa poo mix. We went to visit him today. DH doesn't really care what we name him and our 2 year old doesn't either. So it's up to me and my two older daughters, 6 and 9 years old. Do you know how impossible it is to get a 6 and 9 year old to agree on a name? We're about to put them in a hat and just draw LOL! But I would *really* like to make this something that we all agree on. If it has to come to that, then I'll do it. But I'd like this to be a family effort where everyone comes out happy and no one runs off crying LOL.

post-4287-0-81116700-1389155129_thumb.jpg

All names must be approved by me.....I've vetoed things like Darth Vader, Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash, and Rancor. Can you see a Star Wars and My Little Pony theme here? LOL

Some names in the running.....Dash and Casey are liked by DD6 and I, but not DD9.

Ty and Cole are liked by DD9 and I, but not DD6.

I like Sven and Fox, but no one else does. DD9 likes Buddy but no one else does. Soarin' is iffy by DD6 and I. Luke (Skywalker) has been considered.

Some things to consider......I don't like common names (no Blackie, Smokey, Midnight, or Shadow just because he's black). No Fido, Rufus, Benji.....too common and obviously a dog name. We LOVE Disney but have been through all the obvious movie names. I like UN-obviously Disney inspired names.....kinda like a secret nod to Disney that most people wouldn't notice. For example, the name Casey on our list is in relation to a hot dog place in the Magic Kingdom called Casey's. Soarin' is a ride in Epcot.

Our other dog's name is Chase, chosen by my husband 14 years ago when we got the dog as tiny pup. Other dogs close to our family are Dakota, Brandy, Peanut, Roxy, Cheyenne, Marley, Biscuit, Aurora, Chinook, Rebel, Lincoln, and Vienna.....so all of those are out.

Any suggestions that meet our LONG list of criteria? LOL. Seriously, this is more difficult than choosing my children's names LOL! The only person who had to agree with me on that one was my husband. Now I have to have more people agree....and these are people that do not compromise well LOL!

OMG, what a SWEET little face.  We had a hard time naming Bella a few months back.  I wasn't keen on Bella, but James Bond and Indy both liked it, and I finally agreed, after we went through what felt like a million names (many of them Star Wars themed!).  I can't imagine her with another name now.  If she'd been a boy, I'd have let them name her Chewy, but I was very against Leia, Amadala and Asoka.   I like Casey, because I like Casey at the Bat, which is the inspiration for Casey's in WDW.

Okay, here are my thoughts:

Poc (Pirates of the Caribbean!)

EPCOT (because it's quirky!)

Indiana (because, "We named the DOG Indiana!")

Palpatine (you could call him Pal)

Maki (Magic Kingdom!)

Roy (Walt's brother!)

Vista (as in Bueno Vista, Disney's holding company)

Triton

Lightening

Flynn 

Rider

Marlin (Nemo's dad)

Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)

Gus (Cinderella)

Jacques (Cinderella)

Seven (as in dwarves)

Flik (A Bug's Life)

Pan

Bolt

Patch, Rolly, Sgt. Tibbs, Pongo (101 Dalmatians)

Pan

Mufasa

Phoebus (Hunchback)

Naveen (Princess and the Frog)

Han

Jawa

Fett

Greedo

Mace (as in Mace Windu)

Biggs (Biggs Darklighter was Luke's friend who died protecting Luke in the final battle.  The big scene with him was cut, and it's too bad, because it really made sense in the context of Luke's progression from brat to hero-I know WAY too much about this!)

Kenobi

Fett

Jango

Lars (Anakin's stepfather's last name-the stepbrother is the one who took look in as a baby, Uncle Owen)

Okay, it's 12:30am and I need to stop and go to bed!!!

I'm way too lazy (to get into this kind of discussion with my own kids). Me, I'd give the (adorable, cuddle-bug) dog a name like DC.

D for Dash, C for Cole. It's not exciting, and we'd end up calling him something like Deece or Deesy-Dicey-Lemon-Spicy but each girl-that-cares would have a name "represented" in the official name. We almost never end up calling our pets by their official names, we're big on exaggerated nicknames. LOL

Our last group of pets were an abandoned mom and kittens born on our property, who were being targeted by the feral population so we brought them in: Olya (hybrid of Oliver and Yulia, our neighbors), Sina (hybrid of Sister & Nana, the two who found her), OJ (for Officer and Jennifer, named for the female cop who rescued him from the drain pipe on our property), and Brown Spot (the mom, whose name they could never agree upon so I called her by her identifying mark, which stuck). If we hadn't married everyone's suggestions, I have no doubt we'd still be hashing it out today - six years later. LOL I'm glad our most recent rescue came to us already attached to his name!

Congrats on the new family member, and have fun naming him! :)