Menu

Help me think about 1st grade for next year please!

three4me

I'm expecting a baby in June and my brain just isn't into thinking ahead to next school year for first grade. We're set for skill subjects I think (currently using SM 1A/1B, Explode the Code, and she reads well), but I'm just having a hard time figuring out and sorting my options for content subjects. 

To give you an idea of what we've done, here's what we've used so far:

Pre-K: Sonlight P4/5 - We liked this but kind of got tired of jumping around through so many books each day. I've looked ahead to Core A but we've already read many of those books.

K this year: Currently doing Five in a Row. We also like this, but I think we're going to be ready for something else next year. My kids love read alouds so I'd like something that has more of this.

I know there are so many different "core" type curricula. I'm looking for something that has things planned out. If I need to request items from the library I need a specific list of what I will need. Having a baby around I think I'm going to want boxes to check off, so to speak. Right now I just need to see what my options are and determine what I think will work for us longish term, especially if we are going to jump into a history cycle. Obviously situations change over time and what works now won't necessarily work in three years, but I'd at least like to think that direction.

Oh, and we'd really like a curriculum with a Christian worldview.

Thanks to anyone who can help this baby-brained mama out!

ETA: If there are any questions I can answer that would help with ideas and recommendations just let me know! I'm happy to answer them :)

ETA: Is there a schedule that uses SOTW and adds in supplemental reading with specific books and a daily/weekly plan?

The SOTW activity guide lists specific books for supplemental reading. And I think SWB suggests a couple schedules in WTM (one for two days a week and one for three days a week). Or you could look into History Odyssey, which uses SOTW (scheduled a little differently--geographically instead of chronologically) and adds in supplemental reading and activities.

Is it just history you're looking for?

I totally understand needing boxes to check. I'm planning on the same kind of thing for next year, with a baby due in May. :)

It's not part of a 4-year history cycle, but I would HIGHLY recommend Beautiful Feet Early American for 1st grade history.  We started out with Sonlight A history this year and dropped it for BF.  It was an AMAZING decision!  BF's reason for doing Early American history at this age is that there are so many excellent age-appropriate living books on early American history for this age.  We're LOVING the amazing literature we're reading.  It's seriously the highlight of our homeschool day for me!  The teacher's guide isn't really age-appropriate or helpful, but I like it simply because it tells me how much I need to read each day so that I don't have to figure that out.  BF works best as a reading list, but there are probably activities a creative mom could come up with on their own too.  (There was a thread that was just started about this and I'm watching and waiting for some responses.)  DS is fine with just reading and seems to retain just fine that way.  It takes about 15-20 minutes, 3x's/week.

I WISH we were doing NOEO for science.

If you're wanting to teach grammer, I second FLL1.  If it seems too repetitive, just skip those lessons.  I like the repetition because I have no doubt DS will remember it for years to come!

I love Sonlight's read alouds.  But if you've already read most of the ones for Core A, I would focus on some age-appropriate classics that Sonlight doesn't cover.  There are a number of books on the SimplyCharlotteMason free curriculum guide that I would love to squeeze into our read aloud routine.

We are doing sotw next year for first (maybe just 2 days a week). We have the AG and I plan to do the map work and maybe get an encyclopedia to use along with it.

For science we are doing Mr. Q's Life Science (which is free) maybe twice a week. If I want to do any experiments it looks like it mostly uses stuff from around the house.

For Math we will continue using MUS. My son probably won't finish up alpha this year, so we will pick up next year where we leave off. Easy open and go.

For spelling we will use AAS. We are finishing up IEW's PAL reading program and we will just walk through McGuffey reading lessons for practice.

Memorization and copywork - scripture passages I've chosen and will write up with startwrite.

Then I have pulled together literature to read through and use WWE with (Aesop's fables, a child's poetry book, and books available through Gutenberg.org), art for picture studies, and instruments to learn (young persons guide to the orchestra). There is something similar that is available and called Language Lesson through Literature (tells you what to read, when). It looks great - very open and go if you have a way to download books to a computer/kindle/tablet.

Well, I'll have a house full of 1st graders next year.  We also use FIAR this year and will be looking to do something else next year.  I'm leaning toward continuing with what we've been doing in reading, math, handwriting, and spelling, plus adding Language Lessons for the Very Young to round out LA, Sassafras Science Zoology, and Elemental History's Adventures in America.  We'll see once it gets to be May or June and I'm ready to order, but those are my current thoughts. 

Biblioplan uses SOTW and everything is planned out and set up. I've been eyeing it myself for first. It four year history cycles.

The other thing we are very happy with is the packages from Memoria Press. Their first grade includes a good handful of literature choices, copywork, art appreciation and phonics review. As an addition there are little mentions and reads for science and social studies. Their history cycle doesn't really start until 3rd so there seems to be a mix of introduction to concepts as highlighted in read alouds: ie : Columbus, Abe Lincoln, St Patrick etc, Wright brothers and trains.

Oh and our baby is due in July. :)

It's not part of a 4-year history cycle, but I would HIGHLY recommend Beautiful Feet Early American for 1st grade history.  We started out with Sonlight A history this year and dropped it for BF.  It was an AMAZING decision!  BF's reason for doing Early American history at this age is that there are so many excellent age-appropriate living books on early American history for this age.  We're LOVING the amazing literature we're reading.  It's seriously the highlight of our homeschool day for me!  The teacher's guide isn't really age-appropriate or helpful, but I like it simply because it tells me how much I need to read each day so that I don't have to figure that out.  BF works best as a reading list, but there are probably activities a creative mom could come up with on their own too.  (There was a thread that was just started about this and I'm watching and waiting for some responses.)  DS is fine with just reading and seems to retain just fine that way.  It takes about 15-20 minutes, 3x's/week.

I WISH we were doing NOEO for science.

If you're wanting to teach grammer, I second FLL1.  If it seems too repetitive, just skip those lessons.  I like the repetition because I have no doubt DS will remember it for years to come!

I love Sonlight's read alouds.  But if you've already read most of the ones for Core A, I would focus on some age-appropriate classics that Sonlight doesn't cover.  There are a number of books on the SimplyCharlotteMason free curriculum guide that I would love to squeeze into our read aloud routine.

Thanks for the recommendation for Beautiful Feet Early Americans. It looks wonderful! What I'm wondering, though, is what your future plans for history are. BF doesn't appear to have anything else for the lower elementary grades. If we did a year of early American, then what after?

Thanks for the recommendation for Beautiful Feet Early Americans. It looks wonderful! What I'm wondering, though, is what your future plans for history are. BF doesn't appear to have anything else for the lower elementary grades. If we did a year of early American, then what after?

You could do a year on Geography or on the History of Science.  I know it says 3rd grade for the lower level, but if you're working alongside your DC, you can make it work for 2nd too. ;)

For tons more ideas, the Virtual Curriculum Fair is going on all month!

Here's the Schedule:

1. January 6th---Playing with Words: the Language Arts---
  2. January 13th---Discovering Patterns: Mathematics, Logic, and Science---
  3. January 20th---Exploring Our World: Social Studies and more Science--
  4. January 27th---Seeking Beauty: the Arts and Everything that Brings Beauty to Our World-