Menu

subtracting a negative, multiplying 2 negatives, explanation help please

I wish there was a HIG for Singapore 6!  The teacher's manual was more than twice as expensive and is almost worthless.  

I have found a fairly decent explanation that explains subtracting a negative, but a few more would be helpful.  

But, I have not found a good explanation for multiplying 2 negatives.  With other topics in Singapore 6 that I have needed better explanations for, my Dolciani Pre-Algebra or online searching was helpful.  

I'm hoping for some good links or explanations for multiplying 2 negatives.  The other cases all make sense to me, this one does not and I have not found a great explanation why when searching.  (Ours in not to reason why, just move the sign and multiply is pretty much what I've found so far.)

Thanks!

I don't know if this is the perfect theoretical explanation, but here's how I explained it to DS:

Multiplying two positives is repeated addition.

2 * 3

= 2+2+2

= 6

Multiplying a negative and a positive is the same as adding a negative number the shown amount or subtracting a positive number the given amount.

-2 * 3

= (-2) + (-2) + (-2)

= - 2 - 2 - 2

= -6

I also showed the equation as:

-2 * 3

= - 3 - 3

= - 6 [i noted it was the same answer as above]

Therefore, multiplying two negatives is the same as subtracting a negative number the given amount:

(-2) * (-3)

= - (-2) - (-2) - (-2) [subtract -2 three times]

= 2 + 2 + 2 [subtracting a negative from a negative is the same as adding]

= 6

Also shown as:

(-2) * (-3)

= - (-3) - (-3)

= 3 + 3

= 6

DS and I did this lesson a few times and it seemed to help his understanding so I hope this helps.

Therefore, multiplying two negatives is the same as subtracting a negative number the given amount:

(-2) * (-3)

= - (-2) - (-2) - (-2) [subtract -2 three times]

= 2 + 2 + 2 [subtracting a negative from a negative is the same as adding]

= 6

Also shown as:

(-2) * (-3)

= - (-3) - (-3)

= 3 + 3

= 6

DS and I did this lesson a few times and it seemed to help his understanding so I hope this helps.

That is very helpful, thanks!  I think this will make sense to her.

It was almost too quick to notice, but I liked when the snotty girl in this

said to her mom, "So, three weeks ago, you were fifteen pounds heavier. Negative three times negative five equals positive fifteen." (Start at 2:10 on the video to get the context. Snotty comment is at 2:32.)

Not really helpful for an explanation (as they don't explain the why), but an interesting "real world" example.

:laugh:

I like what MEP does. See page 27, exercises 4 & 5 in year 6:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/pb6a_1.pdf

According to the lesson plans the students should be given 5 mins at the end of a class to discover by themselves the rules of multiplying by negative numbers using those 2 exercises. My take on this is that MEP is trying to make the introduction of the rules a low key affair. What is important is what the rules are and sure enough there will be plenty of exercises to make sure the rules are not forgotten. The student should accept the rules without much resistance. Clearly what MEP is doing is not proof of the rules as the proof is way beyond middle school math.

Contrast that with my own experience when I learned those rules in grade 7. My math teacher actually tried to prove those rules to us using number lines. I think I was a pretty good student but after the teacher spent 45 minutes explaining the proofs I was left extremely confused and not at all convinced of the validity of the rules. This actually made me have difficulty applying the rules because anytime a multiplication with a negative number came up I would try to work out the rule by myself without much success.

fwiw, my mathy  youngest, when asked to explain this last year for a post, just said 'they are opposite' .  . so adding them is  like subtracting and subtracting them is like adding.  and with multiplying, multiplying by a negative 'flips' the sign of the other - after all, -8 is the same as 8 * (-1).  so (-8) * (-3) is the same as (-1)*(8)*(-1)*(3) which is (8*3)*(-1*-1) . . . . -1 times anything switches its sign, so -1*-1 is 1.  so you just have 8*3.