Menu

Need recommendations- handmade soaps, lotions, etc.

caitlinsmom

As part of my quest to get my life back on track, I have am getting rid of things that do not work for me.  My entire life I have been plagued with overly sensitive skin  and hair.  I can not use store bought soaps without repercussions.  I break out in rashes that no doctor has ever seen (true story, I'm in the medical books lol), my skin dries out and flakes in huge chunks, my hair falls out, my scalp itches, etc.  I also have such a low tolerance for chemical smells that if something is to harsh the back of my throat breaks out in a rash of sorts.  It's not pretty.  Over the last few months I have had to buy whatever from the grocery store and my body is showing the effects of this!  The friend I used to purchase items from is no longer in business so I am now on the lookout for new stuff.

Here is what I want:

excellent quality lotions, body soaps, shampoo, and conditioner made by small business using only natural products and oils.  Ideally I would like a company that can do custom orders so I can pick and choose what I need/want in the product.  I can't spend a fortune on product so nothing to overly fancy.

I would love to hear your recommendations.  :)

For make your own liquid handsoap-  I use Desert Essence Castile Soap, a little glycerin, my favorite essential oil scent of the moment and water.  I bought my supplies over a year ago for under 25 and every month I make up some.   It does not cause my allergic one any issues and keeps my hands from drying out.

For Shampoo and conditioner- I love Giovanni. 

My mother has very sensitive skin.   She does without soap as much as humanly possible.    She does use soap and shampoo but in a minimal way (just enough to stay clean).   She also has to be careful about laundry soap.   She also doesn't use lotion or make up, because those can also inflame her skin.   She has had products that she used for years suddenly cause a reaction.    So I can sympathize with your plight.

Whole foods has soap without a lot of dyes and perfumes.   You can also make your own so you know what ingredients cause you problems.

My mother has very sensitive skin.   She does without soap as much as humanly possible.    She does use soap and shampoo but in a minimal way (just enough to stay clean).   She also has to be careful about laundry soap.   She also doesn't use lotion or make up, because those can also inflame her skin.   She has had products that she used for years suddenly cause a reaction.    So I can sympathize with your plight.

Whole foods has soap without a lot of dyes and perfumes.   You can also make your own so you know what ingredients cause you problems.

The nearest Whole Foods (or similar) is 3 hours away in another state. :)  I've got all the recipes for my own creations but I lack the desire to really do it.  Right now I need a grab and go option.

Your mom sounds just like me.  We used the same natural soap for years because I didn't have a reaction to it.  Then one load and everything changed.  I can not use a product for more than one bottle, usually only 1/2, before switching to another brand.  I get very tired of it all. 

Sounds like we have the same skin! I am renowned for using half a bottle of something, usually billed as natural or great for sensitive skin, and then getting a rash. My mum is the happy recipient of lots of my experiments. I struggle most with sunscreen and hair conditioner, and I can't used anything perfumed. Because I live in Australia, most of my product recommendations will be useless for you. I wash myself with Sunlight laundry soap. I think Velvet or Ivory soap is the same. It has the bonus of having no palm oil content. Sometimes I make my own. I wash clothes in sunlight soap and washing soda ( grate a cake of soap, dissolve in boiling water, add a cup of washing soda. Make up to 5 litres. Use 1/4 cup per wash (front loader). Skip the borax used in most recipes). I have washed my hair with soap and used a vinegar rinse, but I prefer conditioner. I use coconut oil and olive oil as moisturisers. A 50/50 mix of both works well for me. You can use this as a cleanser as well: slather on, massage gently, remove with a warm cloth. Try different oils till you find one you like. Also works as an overnight hair treatment or as an anti-frizz.

Good luck!

D

Sounds like we have the same skin! I am renowned for using half a bottle of something, usually billed as natural or great for sensitive skin, and then getting a rash. My mum is the happy recipient of lots of my experiments. I struggle most with sunscreen and hair conditioner, and I can't used anything perfumed. Because I live in Australia, most of my product recommendations will be useless for you. I wash myself with Sunlight laundry soap. I think Velvet or Ivory soap is the same. It has the bonus of having no palm oil content. Sometimes I make my own. I wash clothes in sunlight soap and washing soda ( grate a cake of soap, dissolve in boiling water, add a cup of washing soda. Make up to 5 litres. Use 1/4 cup per wash (front loader). Skip the borax used in most recipes). I have washed my hair with soap and used a vinegar rinse, but I prefer conditioner. I use coconut oil and olive oil as moisturisers. A 50/50 mix of both works well for me. You can use this as a cleanser as well: slather on, massage gently, remove with a warm cloth. Try different oils till you find one you like. Also works as an overnight hair treatment or as an anti-frizz.

Good luck!

D

Sunscreen is the worst!!  I am a pale skinned red head that burns within 5 minutes outside.  Each year I spend April, May and half of June outside as much as possible.  After that I sit in the house until late Sept. because I can't find a sunscreen that protects my skin.  I make a laundry soap very similar to what you posted and it works great.  I will give the oils a try in the shower.  I use olive oil on my face after a shower but it seems to be a bit too much for my skin.  I ordered some Apricot Kernel oil that used to work well.  Here's hoping it still does. :)

I highly recommend  http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

I have very dry, itchy, rashy skin.  This company's soaps are wonderful and they provide detailed descriptions of all their soaps and other products.  I have been using them for some time now and can't say enough good about them.

Susie in SWVA

I love their selection!  Their "Help Me Choose" section is great!  I've already weeded out a handful of choices based on oils alone. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not as sensitive as you, so with a grain of salt...

I use Dr. Bronners Magic Soaps. They have a "baby" version that is completely free of added extras. It's meant to be cut with water (about 50/50 with water for shower soap and shampoo) and lasts quite a while. For conditioner and styling, I use coconut oil.

I like Dr Bronners, but I find it really strong, so the dilution idea is good. Try cutting back the olive oil with coconut oil. Coconut oil isn't as heavy. If you need a cleanser for oily skin, mix olive oil with castor oil and use that. It's seems weird because the castor oil is very thick, but its quite drying. Also fantastic are hemp seed oil and rose hip oil, but they are pricey.

Sesame oil is supposed to have an SPF of around 7 - not much good in Australia but better than nothing! I can use some sunscreens with titanium dioxide but I can't stand the smell - its like I can smell metal all day. At the moment I'm using a Dermaveen sunscreen, but not everyday. We'll see how long it lasts! Oddly, I can use Olay's sensitive daily moisturiser, SPF 15, but not the Total effects one, SPF 30. I have no idea why the original is fine and I hate buying it, but needs must! Our UV is rated extreme for 6 months of the year and I need a sunscreen cos my mob should have stayed in Wales with their blotchy fair skin and skin cancer!

D