Menu

what to do before algebra

Hi,

I am looking for some type of math book or resource to use with my 6th grade boy.  He just finished Abeka 5 Arthimetic but he doesn't want to do the 6th book.  He is just about ready for pre algebra or algebra but I want to make sure I haven't missed any important skills. And I really am not sure I want to start a whole new book at mid year.  I don't want to start Algebra too soon-I did that with my oldest daughter and that didn't turn out too well!!  Though she survived and is great now, it was a long road!!

Any suggestions??

thanks

pj

If you want to use a book for a half a year round up of arithmetic topics, take a look at Mastering the Fundamentals of Mathematics from the Teaching Company. If you're lucky, your library might have it or you might be able to get it on sale for about $50 or so. It's got lectures and practice problems to get you ready for algebra. The problems aren't very challenging, but it's a good wrap-up to make sure you've touched on everything before moving forward with Algebra.

i would see what topics you would be skipping  in the level 6 to decide whether  you would like to cover them one way or another before moving forward.  I would not skip blindly. Then i would look for a prealgebra text  to tie it all together (review and extend all of elementary arithmetic and provide some intro to algebra topics).  There are many choices.  Nothing in your post demonstrates a reason to skip middle school math (prealgebra) in its entirety in order to start algebra.

And I am not familiar with Abeka math specifically, but with many elementary math programs, the 6th year functions as a pre-algebra year. If that is the case with Abeka, and he has done well with it so far, then it might make sense to stick with Abeka through 6th grade. You will have to pick an Algebra program next (Does Abeka have algebra and were you planning to use it?) so you might want to pick your pre-algebra program with an eye to that.

One way to see if he is ready for PreAlgebra or Algebra, and to make sure he isn't missing any important skills, would be to have him do a diagnostic test.  Math Mammoth has free diagnostic tests, you could use the 5th grade or 6th grade test, and the nice thing about these is that they are broken up by sections, so if he has holes in one or two areas, it's easy to see that (and MM even has workbooks that focus on a specific area that you could use to fill in the holes).  Here is a link to the MM diagnostic tests:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/placement_tests.php

There are also computerized online tests that you can take to assess mastery of arithmetic and/or readiness for PreA or Algebra.  Here is one:

http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/DOMA/

And I am not familiar with Abeka math specifically, but with many elementary math programs, the 6th year functions as a pre-algebra year. If that is the case with Abeka, and he has done well with it so far, then it might make sense to stick with Abeka through 6th grade. You will have to pick an Algebra program next (Does Abeka have algebra and were you planning to use it?) so you might want to pick your pre-algebra program with an eye to that.

Abeka's Pre-Algebra is their 8th grade book. (Their 7th grade book is "Basic Mathematics" and has some pre-algebra in it also. Kids who are strong in math might choose to do either 7th or 8th grade book & not both.) 

You should be able to go into a pre-algebra program after the 5th grade ABeka book, but make sure it is one that will solidify all the decimals/fractions/percents that were in the 5th grade book. I don't see any issue with starting a book at mid-year, but perhaps the Math Mammoth 6A/6B Gold series? (I'd take the previously linked placement test to check for gaps first.)

You might be able to go into Horizons Pre-Algebra (take placement test first) or try the Key To books for the rest of the year?

I agree with previous poster's ideas, too. Just offering a few more suggestions (and links). Definitely take a placement test before buying a certain level if it is offered!

I flipped through my DS 5 th grade math which is aligned with common core. It didn't cover percent, proportional, speed, ratio, which all covered in depth when my DS went through Singapore 5th. It seems the topics covered for 5th are really varies. so, I supposed if Abeka did not cover those topic in depth, you will really need to spend time to go through those in depth before algebra.