Menu

Binder for sheet music that sits on stand?

Acadie

My dd11 loves to play violin, but always creates a snowstorm of looseleaf music on the living room couch.  She assures me that she'll get in the habit of picking it up...but I'm wondering if the chances of reigning in the chaos would be better with a binder.  Is there a relatively inexpensive binder made specifically to sit on a music stand?  It's specifically loose sheets of paper that I'm hoping to corral and have accessible for her to play without taking out of the binder.  

Thanks!

Amy 

A binder can be a bit of a drag for a musician.  A lot of times you'll have to, say, slide page two over to the left side of your stand because between pages 2 and 3 you have a complicated passage, but there's a block rest at the top of page two that gives you time to prep your page.  Or you'll have to make three pages fit because page 2 has no time for flip, but then you'll want to condense it because three pages is a bit of a squeeze, so after the....  you get it.  I mean, people do it, by planning those page turns and making judicious use of tape.  Also, original sheet music is rarely 8.5 x 11", so there's that, too.  I'd not do a binder unless I was in a pinch.

A metal music stand is a lot nicer than the wire ones, if that's what she's using.  It holds more music and things don't tend to blow off as much.  Music stores also would sell you a nice looking classy folder, like what you'd see at an orchestra rehearsal.  They'll be big and have a little bit of a gusset at the pockets.  They're nice for keeping books in, as well as the bigger than 8.5 x 11" pieces.  Keeping things in that would be a step up?

If she's using a slim folding/portable stand she may have trouble keeping a 3 ring binder in place.  If she has a regular stand (which I highly recommend), a regular binder will work fine.  My daughter likes to use page protectors so she doesn't have to hole punch music.  Some of her band music and solos won't fit, but most of her practice pieces, scale sheets, etc do.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/manhasset-m48-symphony-music-stand?pfm=sp

A 1/2 inch binder is slim and quite manageable, even for a folding stand. A "professional" music folder would also be nice and much more stable. Music with multiple pages can be taped together and folded accordion style if necessary.

I used to tape music all the time! I'd cut some if the margins as closely as I could so I could punch holes in the first sheet, but still fold the others in.

Thanks so much, everyone!  I'm not a musician myself so the details are helpful to hear.  I think she is ready for a metal music stand, and the one you linked looks like great quality at a great price.  I'm going to talk with dd about various binder/sheet protector/accordion options and see what she thinks.  Different approaches might work for different pieces.

Amy