Menu

Wholesome doll alternative to over-sexualized fashion dolls

KristenR

I recently was given the chance to review these new  Lottie dolls and I have to say- they were a HUGE hit here with my girls.  I admit we have caved before and purchased Barbies and Disney Princess Dolls-- I wish I had known about these dolls beforehand because I swear they are the only dolls I want in my house.  My girls ADORE them!  They are wholesome and nicely made.  I'd much rather put my money behind this company.

If you are looking to get a doll for your daughter this Christmas, be sure to check out Lottie.

The Lottie dolls are cute but I don't have anything against Barbie. The big draw of Barbie is that she is pink and sparkly and has a Unicorn..three reasons why my DD is asking for her for Christmas. I don't think it has to be an either/or. If I bought those Lottie dolls they would just become Barbies little sisters around here. ;).

Too bad every joint does not move on those.  We do the disney dolls sold at the store as every joint is flexible.   Which is get for kids with motor issues  so they can dress the doll themselves.

My girls haven't had any problem dressing these dolls.  Their arms and legs do bend and the clothes are stretchy and primarily Velcro so even my youngest is able to dress and undress her on her own.

Target carries the Only Hearts dolls (or did when I last went through that section). They have a rather odd hybrid body style--mix of cloth and plastic. We haven't actually owned any of them. I agree with sewingmama that these would be Barbie's little sisters. We had Juku Couture dolls at one point (similar in scale) and that's exactly what happened.

I do, however, think that trying to switch these for Barbie misses an important point and one of the major attractions of Barbie or other adult/teen fashion doll. The girls aren't looking to replicate their current lives. They are engaging in imaginative role play of being adults. My daughter used to get aggravated at the relative lack of adult male dolls because she wanted a "dad" for her doll family. Basically, I wouldn't be surprised if the girls continued to want a " grownup" doll. Now, I won't argue that it would be nice to have a more realistic looking adult doll available. That's why we bought (and have kept) the Grandma and Grandpa Barbies that came out at one point. They have more realistic body shapes. I'm trying to remember if Alan and Midge (the married couple Barbies) were a bit more realistic, but I don't remember. The Liv dolls are a bit larger but a bit more teen in proportion and can stand on their own, though they do have the more outsized head that seems to have become mandatory. My daughter liked being able to change their hair.

Other dolls we haven't owned but might be worth a look:

Mixis http://store.mixis.com/

I saw an article that suggested " character" dolls (those based on real people or actors portraying specific characters) tended to have more realistic proportions.

As to construction, the Barbie Fashionista line and the larger Liv dolls were great because they were much more articulated. The Liv dolls make for great artist models and the Fashionista dolls could do aikido moves (my daughter has been involved in aikido since she was 6). :001_smile:

The only ones I drew the line at were Bratz. Monster High was a favorite around here for the few years my daughter still liked dolls after they came out (she's now 13), but then she's loved Tim Burton movies since she was 5. ;)

Target carries the Only Hearts dolls (or did when I last went through that section). They have a rather odd hybrid body style--mix of cloth and plastic. We haven't actually owned any of them. I agree with sewingmama that these would be Barbie's little sisters. We had Juku Couture dolls at one point (similar in scale) and that's exactly what happened.

I do, however, think that trying to switch these for Barbie misses an important point and one of the major attractions of Barbie or other adult/teen fashion doll. The girls aren't looking to replicate their current lives. They are engaging in imaginative role play of being adults. My daughter used to get aggravated at the relative lack of adult male dolls because she wanted a "dad" for her doll family. Basically, I wouldn't be surprised if the girls continued to want a " grownup" doll. Now, I won't argue that it would be nice to have a more realistic looking adult doll available. That's why we bought (and have kept) the Grandma and Grandpa Barbies that came out at one point. They have more realistic body shapes. I'm trying to remember if Alan and Midge (the married couple Barbies) were a bit more realistic, but I don't remember. The Liv dolls are a bit larger but a bit more teen in proportion and can stand on their own, though they do have the more outsized head that seems to have become mandatory. My daughter liked being able to change their hair.

Other dolls we haven't owned but might be worth a look:

Mixis http://store.mixis.com/

I saw an article that suggested " character" dolls (those based on real people or actors portraying specific characters) tended to have more realistic proportions.

As to construction, the Barbie Fashionista line and the larger Liv dolls were great because they were much more articulated. The Liv dolls make for great artist models and the Fashionista dolls could do aikido moves (my daughter has been involved in aikido since she was 6). :001_smile:

The only ones I drew the line at were Bratz. Monster High was a favorite around here for the few years my daughter still liked dolls after they came out (she's now 13), but then she's loved Tim Burton movies since she was 5. ;)

Grandma and Grandpa Barbies!?!?  I had never heard of those!! I'm off to check them out!