Menu

My husband wants to do Classical Conversations!!Help for this?

pjssully

Hi to anyone who has time to read this post.  My husband is suggesting that we do CC next year with my 12 year old twin sons.  They have never taken a class anywhere and he wants them to do Challenge A.  I just dont know if they are ready-or if I want to get them ready!!  I know I have a 1/2 year to work on the skills they will need but something doesn't feel right.  Is it my own problem about letting them go??  They are my last kids as I have older 14 and 17 year old.  My 17 year old did CC for 1 semester when she was a 10th grader.  It went well for her because she was bored and ready for the challenge.  My boys have NO desire to do CC, even though their best friend is in it!!  I don't know if they are scared, or just don't want to do the work.  When my older daughter did CC she has already had experience with 3 or 4 online classes and was bored of them.  My boys haven't had any online classes.  I am really resisting this, but I also want to be open to what my husband has to say.

If i didn't do CC, I would do TOG and maybe use the online discussion classes for them.

Could people who are doing or have done CC give me some input as to what their experience has been with CC?

I just need to hear others experience!!!

Thanks 

pam

Well I would ask 

1.  Why don't you want them to take a class somewhere?  12 is certainly about time to start stretching their wings.

2.  Why does you dh want them to do CC?  If you figure out what he wants then maybe you can offer alternatives.

For example, your sons could perhaps take ONE course weekly at a local HOmeschool Drop-Off paid class.  This would allow them to grow, be a little challenged, stretch their wings, and even allow you to get some errands done or something. 

So, if your dh was desiring for the boys just to get out more, have some outside accountability and experience a class, that might work.  However, if he is impressed by CC's particular program and offerings then obviously you may need to consider try CC for a year. If that is the case, then I would ask why you think your sons are not ready for Challenge?  And, if doing a year of Essentials might work, if your coordinator is flexible with ages.

Questions for you and DH to discuss as you make your decision:

1. Why specifically does DH want DSs to do CC?

- inclusion of Latin and Logic to your schooling?

- move closer to a classical model of education or more rigorous education?

- experience a classroom setting?

- experience being accountable to an outside teacher?

- need for peer pressure & a teacher to help DSs achieve more (i.e., some students work harder for someone other than mom)

- feels your family needs some outside support for middle school/high school?

2. What other options are available to your family? Are there other better or more specific ways of accomplishing DH's goals than CC?

(i.e. -- a single subject co-op class, online class, a tutor for specific one-on-one instruction, change to TOG or other classical/rigorous curriculum, more Dad involvement in leading 1-2 subjects, etc.)

3. Do DSs currently use Saxon, Apologia, and other curriculum used by CC?

- if not, will DSs -- and you, the teacher -- connect with and be able to easily transition to new types of material?

- does Saxon best fit with DSs' learning style? (this is esp. important the higher up in the math levels you go -- i.e., Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calc/Trig.).

4. Using CC locks a family into CC's specific schedule and curriculum materials:

- how might the loss of flexibility affect your family?

- are the materials a good fit with your students' learning style and your teaching style?

- how much flexibility and time in the schedule is there for adding to the CC schedule/materials to incorporate subjects not in CC but that are important to your family?

5. CC (and ANY outsourcing option!) is only as good as the weekly tutor:

- can you and DH sit in on the Challenge A instructor's class and see if the tutor is knowledgeable and will be a good fit for your students?

6. How will you handle the lack of History in the CC materials?

I have to confess, I'm not a big fan of CC after looking it over. I think my biggest concerns with CC, esp. at the middle school and high school levels would be:

1. having to use CC's choice of materials, esp. if NOT a good match for the DC

2. the quality of the tutor

I understand that the tutors are quite frequently other parents, who get a break on the cost by working as a tutor... while sometimes you can get someone who turns out to be really good with teaching writing or math, I think my money would be MUCH better spent on outsourcing a class to a professional who knows that specific area AND knows how to teach -- rather than overseeing the work at home and then paying for a once-a-week CC parent to answer questions in all the subject areas...

3. Totally JMO: CC *looks* like a lot of money for memorization and a weekly book discussion and study hall

I personally would feel I could direct discussion and analysis at a deeper level for the the Lit., History and Science; as a family we went deep with DSs with Logic and Worldview subjects, and if we had done Latin, we would have paid to outsource it with a quality instructor who knew the language AND knew how to teach.)

Finally, I can see how such a request from DH might make you feel hurt, as if he is questioning your ability to homeschool and how you previously directed the studies of the older DC -- esp. if DH has not previously been involved much in the homeschooling. If any of that might be the case, then it would also be VERY important to make sure that the emotional and relational aspects of homeschooling and outsourcing gets put on the table and discussed with DH, too. Afterall, this is your job; you are good at and committed to doing it well; it could be very hurtful to have a well-meaning but uninvolved supervisor come in and make sweeping changes that you are expected to implement, without your input! :)

BEST of luck, whatever your family decides! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I would get FAR more for my money by spending the cost of CC instead on hiring a tutor who specializes in the area or need.

:iagree:     

Each CC class is only as good as that particular class's tutor.  Just as not all teachers in brick & mortar schools are equal, not all CC tutors are equal!

Also, I think that a CC tutor is required to "tutor" all the CC subjects for that level, (although they may be allowed to sub one out?), regardless of how much they know about, or are interested in, the different subjects. I would much rather be involved in a co-op where there are different "tutors" who are each interested in and, preferably, knowledgeable about, the specific subject that they're tutoring.  By 7th & 8th grade, I know I get much more for my money by using tutors or online classes with instructors who are knowledgeable about the subject they're teaching. I wouldn't want my children's math instructor to try to do Omnibus with them, or vice versa!  I think this would be even more the case for a high school student.

If your husband is looking for your sons to get experience in a classroom setting or in having outside accountability, etc., I'd pick a subject you are least comfortable/happy teaching and look for outside or online options for covering that subject.  Pick a class and instructor with a great reputation for teaching that particular subject.

I have a ds in challenge 2 and a ds in challenge A. I agree with many of the caveats/concerns expressed in this thread. The scope and sequence of challenge is not something I would ever have sought out. However, it is providing both with an academic community and they needed it. I'm not sure 1 or 2 outsourced classes would have given them this in the same way - in fact I'm pretty sure it would not have.

So, even though it wasn't my best laid plan, it has been good for us.

Definitely observe your potential tutor. We have some great ones.

My 8th grade son is in Challenge A this year (1st time in CC).  It has been fantastic for him.  He is learning time management and how to work with having a deadline each week.  He is enjoying giving presentations in Science each week.  And the Lost Tools of Writing class has helped him TREMENDOUSLY with understanding how to write a thesis statement and arrange his thoughts in an organized manner to write a persuasive essay.  Henle Latin has been a real struggle for him, but he is learning to persevere and going way beyond what he would've accomplished on his own without a weekly schedule and the mutual accountability with other classmates to get his work done each week.  Oh, and this is a dc who previously did not have the slightest interest in geography and now he can draw a map of the entire Western Hemisphere and all of Europe freehand without looking at an atlas, and he can label the countries and most of the capitals, too.  Amazing!!

Overall, I am very pleased, although I do have to say that he often wanted to quit CC during the first 6 weeks or so (even threatening once to try and get himself expelled if I forced him to go to class, which was quite the drama one morning :nopity:).    His tutor is quite good, plus she has the gift of mercy and has actively prayed for each dc all year, which I believe has helped propel him to not give up, as well.

Now, the part that is difficult is the lack of flexibility in coursework that we homeschoolers are used to.  I am still pondering what to do about next year when my ds starts high school.  Do we continue with Challenge B where I know there is another excellent tutor and my ds could continue with his community of friends from Challenge A, or do we try to jump to Challenge I (which will be brand new to this area next year)?  I will have to add additional science to beef up his coursework if we go with Challenge B (and probably also add some ancient history to the mix, too).  Will this put him in overload???  

But if you are starting Challenge A with 12 year olds, you likely won't have the same difficulties we are facing next year.  Even if you only did it one year, I think it could be a wonderful, growth-producing year for your sons.  At least that is what I see happening with my 13 ds this year! :hurray:

Hope this helps,

Brenda