Menu

Kindle Paperwhite Owners--a question

shukriyya

I don't have the Paperwhite yet so I'm looking to the Hive for answers.

Do you find you prefer reading your PW with a cover or without? I'm trying to decide which cover to get, the Amazon one or a less expensive one. The advantage of the less expensive one, apart from the price, is that it looks as though it will be very easy to slip the kindle in and out of the case whereas the Amazon one has complaints in the review section about how difficult it is to do that. But the Amazon one is a lot sleeker looking when the PW is in it, less distracting. I'm imagining that I'll want to read my PW without the cover at home since it would be lighter and thinner that way but I'll want a cover for when I'm out and about.

Thoughts, experience, advice?

I prefer reading a Kindle without a cover, but the reason I even have a Paperwhite is because I dropped my Kindle 3 (Keyboard) while reading it without a cover. In a freak fall it flipped over, hit the corner of a bench, and the screen was ruined. So, I use a cover now. Occasionally while reading safely in bed, I sneak the cover off. :D

I have this cover.

I only read my PW with the cover. I have this one - in black. It is easy to fold the cover back & the cover puts it to sleep when I close it. (I'm a new Kindle owner - only had it about a month.)

IMO, it doesn't add that much bulk with the cover. I actually like the feel of it because it reminds me more of a book.

I have the purple one, so when I pulled it up to link it for you, it went to the one I have. :) It's not hard to take it out and put it back in. It's fairly light, though of course the device is lighter without a cover. I like how it puts the Kindle to sleep when I close the cover, and wakes it up when I open it. It's gone up $2 since I bought it in May of this year.

I just like the way if feels with the cover better and closing it when I put it down makes it feel more like a "real" book to me. It was a gift and it came with a cover, but there are a lot of tutorials for making your own on the web and they aren't that hard. I made my father one for Christmas and I could have finished it in one sitting if I hadn't wanted to give him something a bit nicer than something I made in one sitting out of scraps I already had around the house.

I second the bright, obnoxious colour so you can find it easier.

I don't take my kindles out of the house, but if you do, you might want to make it less stealable with a cover made out of an old book. There's an Etsy seller who can make it for you if you're like me and just can't bring yourself to cut up and old book.

People get into making  cute Kindle covers and Kindle cozies. You could try Pinterest and see what fits your budget, style and crafting abilities.

I prefer reading mine with the cover. I feel like the Kindle is so rounded and smooth that it feels slippery and less stable in my hands. The cover gives it firmer edges, so I feel like it's easier to hold onto. Plus, my cover folds all the way open, with an elastic band to keep it folded back. Then it also has a wider elastic band on it to slip your hand into, so it's almost attached to you. Makes reading very easy! 

It's this cover (since I don't feel like I'm explaining myself well :lol:). It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than the Amazon one.